Flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Nov 3, 2002.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I am still new to this dd and this board. Not quite sure what I'm experiencing. Yesterday started with just about the worst pain of my life, my entire body. Every muscle and every joint and even every bone just HURT. Don't know what I could have done to cause this. I could sit here and cry it's so bad right now. I slept about 7 hours last night, which is a good sleep for me. Is this a flare? And what brings this on?
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I am still new to this dd and this board. Not quite sure what I'm experiencing. Yesterday started with just about the worst pain of my life, my entire body. Every muscle and every joint and even every bone just HURT. Don't know what I could have done to cause this. I could sit here and cry it's so bad right now. I slept about 7 hours last night, which is a good sleep for me. Is this a flare? And what brings this on?
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Karen:

Welcome to the message board. I am pretty new here, too. I was finally diagnosed with FM this past summer, but I am sure I have had it for years. Yes, it does sound like you are having a flare.

I get a flare when I am under a lot of stress and am not taking care of myself or trying to do too much. It's good that you were able to sleep seven hours last night. When I'm having a flare, I don't sleep well at all. I would rest as much as you can, eat well, and try to relax. Sometimes soaking in the tub with epsom salts helps, too.

I'm sure others will be writing in with more suggestions. A lot of the people on this board have more experience with this disease than I do since I am still in the learning stage.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Ellen
  4. Starla

Starla New Member

I think that is what you call a flare up. Just when you think you are having somewhat of a good day, you get maybe a little housework done, then the next day.... a flareup! You hurt so bad all over. You would swear someone must have tied you up in a sheet and beat you with a baseball bat last night. It gets so depressing to me, I just want to have a NORMAL day please. I would love to go to the mall and go shopping, eat lunch out with a girlfriend, see a movie, etc.
    Welcome to the board. I just found this place myself. I was so happy, I had been searching for one to find friends with the same DD. Hard to talk to my regular friends. You feel like you are just complaining all the time. So, welcome aboard.
  5. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

I also am very new to this board. I was DX just last summer so i am still learning about this DD. just hang in there we are all here to support each other. BIG HUGES stephanie
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

...for responding. Ellencomstock, I take Zanaflex 8mg, and 10 mg Elavil at night for sleep. Last night I added Lortab to that mix; I don't usually take the Lortab at night because it tends to keep me awake, but with the other meds, I was able to sleep, thank God. Saturday I was having a pretty bad pain day, but managed to keep it under control with the Lortab. Yesterday was worse but I thought the meds would keep it in check. I babysat my 21 m/o grandbaby last night, and I felt so bad that I just didn't enjoy it at all, VERY unusual for me because I love that child so much. I had to go to work today, and I've taken meds 3 times since I woke up this morning; it's taken that much to be functional today. This is by far one of the worst flares (if that's what this is) that I've ever had.
    I have a Dr's appt. on the 15th, and I'm hoping to hold on till then. I hate the thought of asking for stronger meds because my neurosurgeon in the past made me feel like I had no right to be on pain meds and now I'm afraid of asking for meds when I need them. I hate the thought of even having to. Before I started having all these symptoms and pain, which actually started a good 3 years ago, I was one of those unbelievers, and now it upsets me to think of what my attitude was towards people who claimed they were in such pain all the time. Now I know how they feel, and it's not fun.
    Thanks for the support everyone, it helps that people really do understand.
  7. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm in the Deep South also, SE Louisiana. I suppose the weather could have something to do with it. But even with going through the Tropical Storm and the Hurricane that hit here in the last month, I didn't have pain as intense as I've had the last 2 to 3 days. I'll pay more attention to that in the future for sure; thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  8. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

Glad you found us, just sorry you need us. Yes, it definately sounds like a flare. It is horrible. I'm sorry you are going thru it right now. Maybe your doc will prescribe something for pain. They are all different and some do and some don't. Good luck with that. In the meantime, here are some suggestions...rest as much as possible, take a hot bath, get someone to give you a gentle massage, use a moist heating pad, sleep.
    Gentle hugs to you,
    Duff
  9. Msagn

Msagn New Member

Hello Karen, plenty of sympahty from me I've been there many nights only 2 hrs sleep and if taking heavy duty pain killers only to awake soaking wet from hot and cold sweats. I only come on the boards about once a month looking for persons with the same symptoms that I had ,I pick what I think are the worst two tell them what I have done then I stop back is a month or so to try to find some more.
    This doesn't work for everyone but it's at least worth reading about education is a valuable too against the pain we all have experienced.
    (University Developed and Tested)

Microdose Therapy® is a method for reducing both inflammatory arthritis pain and the amount of medicine used to control such pain. The program increases the patient's role to 1) monitor pain levels; 2) alter diet to eliminate problem foods; 3) take hydrocortisone as needed; and 4) take an antibiotic. Arthritis sufferers who have used Microdose Therapy® have experienced significant relief while lowering overall hydrocortisone dosage, thereby eliminating its side effects. Patients receive maximum relief within twenty-one days of starting the program.

Hope you find the relief you deserve.