Flares? Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I'm beginning to think I'm going through a huge flare. I thought it might have been the new medication I've been on for just a few months now, but I doubt it, because it's a CNS depressant, so it couldn't make the pain worse.

I've been in such an exorbitant amount of pain, and I really don't know what to do about it. I haven't been able to exercise AT ALL, and normally I can do it easily (last summer, I was walking two miles a day, running part of the way, and had two workouts that I did every other day).

Now, I just go to the store and I'll be in pain when I get home. And it's not just the same-old, aching, cramping pain, either. Now my muscles are also burning, something I've never experienced before. I feel feverish, though I know I don't have a fever. I'm exhausted all of the time, yet I have trouble sleeping. I haven't been eating well; a lot of the time I just really don't have an appetite, which is new for me. I'm usually a really healthy eater.

I recently developed some really bad asthma from allergies (which also just developed this past spring). Asthma couldn't be causing this, could it? I'm on meds for the allergies and an inhaler for the asthma, but I'm still coughing a lot, and my chest hurts frequently.

If this is a flare, it's been going on for about two months now. I've never been in this much pain before. It's awful. I can't take advil because of severe GERD, and painkillers don't do anything but make me sick. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain or reduce the severity of the flare? Or is the only option just waiting it out?

I start college next monday. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I can't handle going to a single class.
  2. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I am not an expert on this but you could have CFS, that comes with FM alot of the time. You really need to see your doctor. Hot baths, heating pads, just relaxing, listening to soft music(like rain or something) to help keep your mind off the pain. If you can afford a massage that might help. But exercising is going to make you feel worse, I would think. There has to be some kind of pain med you can take. Most of the time you really just have to wait these things out. Hopefully someone with more medical knowledge will answer you questions. Take care!
  3. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

that believes in Fibro and Chronic Fatigue as soon as you can.

In the meantime, take baths in epsom salts (the water
    can be as cool or warm as you can tolerate). To reduce GERD when taking pain meds I take a tablespoon or more of Maalox or a generic brand with the pain pill; this usually
    keeps reflux under control for me but I only do it when I just can't stand the pain anymore.

May God help you to find a way to manage these symptoms quickly....