Flares on and off antidepressants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SomewhereInIdaho, May 21, 2003.

1. SomewhereInIdaho

SomewhereInIdaho New Member

HI.
    I was diagnosed in 1995 with FMS/MPS and I was put on and antidepressant shortly after that...I was on this antidepressant for 8 years and I went off from it six months ago. I had flares when I was on the meds but they didn't seem as bad as the one I'am in right now. I was wondering if the antidepressants lessens the affects of the flare??
    I can't remember feeling this bad...pain, exhaustion, depression, anxiety, loss of appetite, foggy, forgetful, muscle weakness and fatigue, headaches...I had flares before but man if this is what it is like off the meds then I would like to find another one to try!!
    thankyou for your help:)
    Jodi
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Can't help with antidepressants, I have never taken them, but just replied so that your post will go back to the first page and hopefully you can get some answers from those who are familiar with taking them.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I have been very much against taking the SSRI anti depressants. So, for the last 5 or so years I have been doing this on my own. I have suffered many flares this past winter. I feel as if I am losing myself. I am giving in and going to try an antidepreesant. They say they fry our brains but what is life if we are in costant fog and pain. You have to do what your heart tells you and right now my heart is saying I need a little lift. Have you tried st. johns wart? this is a good one but not working for my anymore.
    best of luck,
    Judy
  4. SomewhereInIdaho

SomewhereInIdaho New Member

Thankyou for replying:) I don't know what to do about making myself well I just know that I have to find something...living this way is miserable!
    Take care,
    Jodi
    PS please don't think that taking a medication is giving in...we have it tough with this disorder and anything that helps is worth everything!!