Flaring - any natural pain relievers?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TaniaF, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'm having an awful flare in the neck, scapula (shoulder blade) and back of head. Doctor gave me Tramadol 50, but I'm afraid to take it as I'm super sensitive to meds. Been taking Tylenol to take the edge off and using a heating pad.

Any other natural pain relievers or natural anti-inflammatories. I think my fibro is getting worse and he said it could be cervical arthritis too. Does Ginger help? I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

product Pain RX and we've talked about it here...it can take the edge off and pretty innocent in the ingredients.

I just posted about Hops for pain, look at that post.

I still take Ibuprofen, since so much inflammation and stiffness...some days I can take a little less than other days.

Tramadol did nothing for me when I tried it once, haven't tried it in a while.

Ginger is good for stomach and digestion. May help with pain too.

Acupuncture sure helps with controlling pain. jam

I also keep Dr. Barbara Hendel's Arnica Montana 3X,6X,12X,30X,200X tablet on hand...last night I woke up a couple times in a lot of pain and took some Arnica Montana and it helped...I like this product for it's ingredents.[

We all know what may help one may not help another, so gotta try as much as we can to see what can work. [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2013]
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I have the tramadol 50 mg also. The 50 was waaaay too strong so I cut it in half with a razor blade. I've also taken skelaxin but had to cut that into l/4 tablet size. I tried the Pain RX but felt it did nothing for me.

I also alternate ice packs and heated rice socks on my neck and shoulder area. Use one to hang down onto my shoulder blades and another to velcroe around my neck to hold it in place. I NEVER answer the door with everything I have to wear!

And I also use the roll on Hot and Icy to help the pain.[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2013]
  4. jaminhealth

and have used, I seem to get the best results from Arnica Montana Plus and Triflora for Arthritis....something about those homeopathics and how they help the body "try" to do some repairing.
  5. sunflowergirl

that looks pretty good and it's for heat or cold. I might order one of those!
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

What a coincidence - that may work.

I'm confused - doctors say to use heat and therapists always say cold. Not sure which is better. I may do both.
  7. sunflowergirl

The cold really helps with the pain. The warmth helps relax the muscles. I used to go to bed every night with a frozen bottle of water stuck in a sock and put either on the back of my neck or on my forehead to help with headache.

I checked online re: the cervical collar. That's a great buy TODAY only.
  8. jole

jole Member

We are all so different! Tramadol works for me. I was taking 50 mg twice a day. Saw a new rheumy and he had me up it to 100 mg three times a day, and I seem to be doing much better. Once the pain is controlled, the mood also improves greatly. But start low, and work up. I have problems with a lot of meds, but this one works for me.

Heat and massage are my mainstays for the tight, knotted muscles. (Cold gives me a migraine) My kids bought me a shiatzu massage cushion a few years ago, and I love it for the deep, knotted muscles in my upper back and neck. It sits in a chair, and has rollers in the back. About $100 but worth every cent to me. My son hates it. Says it's too harsh for him. Again, we're all so different. If I can't get those muscles to relax, I end up with a migraine. Tried a tennis ball, but can't seem to get it to work for me.

Hope you find something that works for you~
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Tramadol and gabapentin work fairly well for me. Also, when my neck & shoulders act up I use something like ice hot and an ice pack together.

Soaking in a hot tub with 2 cups of ebsom salts for 2o min helps too. Take a big glass of ice water with you to drink while soaking. Then plan to go to bed.
  10. sunflowergirl

Put it in a sock and hold the end at the top of your shoulder, let the ball drop down, and lean against a wall then move the ball around. Be careful though with how hard you press. I developed a lipoma (a large fatty deposit) on my shoulder blade. It comes from being hurt in that area (from the tennis ball).
  11. jaminhealth

I never thought I had them but the last couple weeks I've had more PAIN than ever. Could this be a flare?

Waking up at 3AM or so in pain, this is not my usual. Happened again last night and I took an Arnica Montana and the pain went away and I got back to sleep.....only to wake up at 7AM or so in lots more pain....

Is everything just getting worse in the FM body?

I have so many other things especially complications from the hip surgery, but this is so new...even with the acupuncture I felt some relief, but now things are worse....

geeeeeeeezzzzzz
  12. bct

bct Member

At least give the tramadol a chance. I've been using it for several years now, 50mgs 4 times a day. Along with neurontin (gabapentin) as needed. My nerve pains are GREATLY reduced.

Barry
  13. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Had an MRI last night and holding the results today. Everything is quick here.

There are degenerative changes in my cervical spine and some stenosis (just a tad worse that 2010's scan). I'm 61 with a family history of major arthritis. I truly think my fibro muscle spams play with my arthritis and headache syndrome which cause a multitude of problems. And when I get everything at one time - Yikes!

I didn't use the Tramadol (truly afraid of pain meds) but did go on a majority of the supplements under Fibromyalgia in my Encyclopedia of Natural Healing. The first two important supplements were probiotics and Co-Q-10 - along with DMG that my alternative doctor recommends for fibro patients. I'm also going to start on the Guai protocol. I need the expectorant for my bronchial allergies - so it should help both ways.

I have no idea what to do about the arthritis. I have heard there are diets for arthritis, although not sure if it makes a difference??? I can't take glucosamine/chondrotin because of shellfish allergies. I'll check the book under arthritis too.

Right now, the neck is a tad better, have better range of motion, but still have the fibro trigger points in the back of the head to content with --this is my headache area. Lower neck and scapula has it's moments. Those are trigger points too!

So, for me right now, it's supplements, Tylenol and heat. Biofreeze is useful too!

Thanks all for your thoughts - I always can depend on this board for great ideas.
  14. jaminhealth

it can help, I do a session once a week....I have a mess of OA and the FM stuff...

There are so much info for arthritis help...I've done most and still do many of them... I'm old and it doesn't get better with age...sorry you are dealing with this too....millions do have arthritis, some way more than others. jam
  15. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I get the stabbing pains in my collar bone.. and all along the upper neck area too.. and it hurts so bad.. now I can even feel where the muscles tighten right up and when it does.. I always feel like I have to stand straight.. and stretch up to try to get relief.. I find when I get stressed .. or have to hurry and get upset over things.. its like it constantly does it.. sometimes it even goes down in my arm.. then I feel scared that Im having a stroke. but my blood pressure is always good.. I eat a good diet.. not much meat.. no soy.. only wished I could not want sugar.. I know that doesnt help the fibro.. but sometimes ya just want comfort foods!..
    As for meds.. I am afraid to try any of them too for I am so sensitive to them.. and living alone.. is hard.. I don't like side effects!..
    I haven't even been taking the Ibruprofen.. that bothers my tummy sometimes.. I just keep going with my rice pak..

Dont ya think sometimes it is like the train just travels from one place to another.. is like the whole upper is in a flare up.. and then my whole neck and upper back feels so hot to touch..
    Winter is the roughest time on me it seems.. But I hope You find some good info .. for things to help You.. I will try to get back soon and see what else was offered in respect to natural help..
    Sending healing Hugs,
    Deb
  16. jaminhealth

there are much better comfort "foods"....I enjoy a yummy sweet potatoe....

Sugar does more damage than we/you realize...

I have a friend who has horrible skin cancers on leg and arm and sugar feeds cancer cells, and she's forever eating sugar stuff, I talk to her, but it doesn't do anything.....

Each are on their paths, but I'm one who likes to try to help others....bring things to their minds...