Flax & Borage Oil Capsule?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Jul 15, 2003.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Does anybody know anything about this? How much is the daily recommended dosage, what does it do, and are there any side affects?

Thanks!
    Marilyn :)
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Can anybody share their knowledge on this? I'm told it will really help with FM and PMS/menopause, so I'm eager to start it, but want to know all the pros and cons first.

Marilyn :)
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

These are very good Oils - Have you seen the article I posted on Flaxseed Oil?

I`ll bump it to the top now for you.

Pat.
  4. kgg

kgg New Member

Flax is considered one of the best supplements to take for Fibro. It helps with pain. It also helps with dry eyes, dry mouth, and/or dry skin. Borage is also a good supplement for essential fatty acids. Borage and/or primrose oil is good to take with flax. Barlean's is considered an excellent brand for flax seed oil. They probably sell it on this site too.

According to Jacob Teitelbaum's, "From Fatigued to Fantastic",the dose should be 1/2 tablespoon(4000 to 5000mg in capsule form) daily. Plus Evening primrose oil or borage oil- 500mgs of either one twice a day. Take this dose for 3 months. After 3 months, decrease to just the flax supplement.

It helps with constipation too. Primrose oil can cause a headache when you first start taking it. Magnesium with this regimine is also good for PMS.

You can take the oil with yogurt, to make it palatable. I believe they post Dr. Teitelbaum's protocol on the home page of this site if you need more info.

Hope this helps. -Karen
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

that I just recently started adding this to my supplement list. I had read that it was excellent for PMS,FM pain and good for your heart!! I wanna say that I read it on Dr. Weils site???Not sure~ The bottle I bought was a combination of Omega-3,Flax and Borage. Too soon to notice a difference yet.(I have'nt felt anything as far as side effects) Take care:)
  6. suz41

suz41 New Member

Marilyn:

I started taking primrose oil for PMS a few years back, thank God it has helped that symptom tremendously, however after DX with FM I boosted the dosage a bit aprox 1000mg a day total I prefer the gelcaps, I haven't noticed any negative side effects however I did read an article that stated people with seizures should be careful at very high doses (lowers threshold). I do take mine with food however because it can cause an upset stomcah or nausea for some with sensitive stomachs. If you are interested there is agreat book tirled The New Healing Herbs, explains everything very carefully. I have found that supplements and herbal medicine is helping with fewer side effects to contend with at least for now. Hope this was helpful.

Suz
  7. Kim

Kim New Member

Barleans makes one called Essential Woman. It has flaxoil, evening primrose, rosemary, lignans, & isoflavones (I think). Anyway, 1 or even 2 tablespoons with meals helps loads of things. I also found DHA to help my thinking. I wouldn't mess with the capsules, you have to take too many and they're way more expensive per dose than the liquid.

Barleans makes the best flax oil, also. It is also good for the Atkins diet ;)

kim
  8. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I've been using 1 Tbsp flax oil with apple cider vinegar on my salads and have really developed a taste for it as a salad dressing. I also grind flax seed and take 1 Tbsp (then grind) twice a day. Its important to not take the ground flax too close to your meds - it has a lot of fiber. Check out The Fat Flush Plan diet on the web - has lots of info about both borage/evening primrose and flax. Take care!
    Darla
  9. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I don't know all there is to know...

My capsules are by Omega [?] are in a brown container [no light] and in black capsules colored with carob, this is done so that exposure to light is limited. I keep it in the fridge. They are 1000 [mg?] each.

I also have Efamol and fish oil.

I haven't been up to researching exact ratios these should be taken as, etc, so for now I just try to take them at different times of day.

the evening primrose oil is recommended for inflammation, so with my neck problem, I've been trying to remember to take them, 2 capsules at least once a day, but people with FM I know take 2 capsules 3 times per day and get about 10% benefit. Can be a real cost vs benefit ratio to consider as not cheap.

Good luck.

jen F.

[p.s. fish oil was a contribution from my mother. i am almost out and don't know if I can budget for it anymore, esp with the unexpected care I've needed for the neck problem, but the flax oil capsules are very inexpensive here.]

pps fish oil should specifically be tested for low mercury levels, iirc.