Flax Seed Oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... I think Stormyskye mentioned this .. that flax seed oil helped with fine hair problems .. but I'm wondering at what dose and for how long,that a difference was noticed ?
    I take from a 1,000 to 2,000 mg a day .. is that enough .. or too much ?
    Any information greatly appreciated !
    Thanks
    Fudge : )
  2. dakotasweett

dakotasweett New Member

Flax is good for hair, skin, and nails because it is a good fat/oil. The highest dose I know anyone taking is 1000 mg daily. I would think it would probably take a few weeks/months to notice a difference in your hair as it takes a while for hair to grow in general. If you eat the flax seeds, they also have the additional benefit of having some extra fiber which may or may not be something you desire (but they do taste good- a nutty taste--as opposed to drinking the oil or having to swallow the huge capsules). Flax is also a great source of omega 3 fatty acids which many of us don't get enough of (I know I don't).

Good luck,
    Vanessa
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

There are omega 3 \'s in Flax seed oil and some are absorbed better from flax seed than fish oil.

It doesn't upset the stomach either.
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi guys !
    Thanks very much for the info !
    Yes ... there is definately a big difference for me between the flax and fish oil pills .. the fish source made me sick .. I almost gave up on that idea till I tried the flax ones .. much better .. and yes I know the omega 3 is very good for the body/brain ( what is left of it that is ! haha )
    I just have to be patient and wait now ... it has been a little over a month .. but I'm hanging in !
    Thanks again !
  5. blessed3

blessed3 New Member

I have Alopecia and loosing my hair slowly but surley.I have 2 question. The first one do ya'll think flax see will help Alopecia? The next one, are there any side effects of flaxseed,like gaining weight or ext?
    Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
    blessed3
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

blessed3
    I haven't noticed any bad side affects from flax seed oil .. I don't know if it will help alopecia .. but it is good for the body .. it wouldn't hurt to give it a try .. no weight gain from it as far as I know .. it might help make you feel better over all if you are lacking the elements it provides .. I some times get impatient hoping to see change sooner .. but I'm hanging in with it.
    Good Luck