Flax seed/Omega 3

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Roseecoop, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

My chiropractor recently told me I should start taking this because he read some articles saying it was good for people who suffered from Fibro. My regular doctor told me I shouldn't because it would mess with my thyroid meds. (synthroid) Has anyone ever heard of this? I have read a zillion articles on line about the two and not one mentioned that I could not take the Flax seed/ Omega3 with Synthroid. Also I have slightly elevated triglycerides and that's also why my chiropractor told me to take it. My MD prescribed Tricor and it upset my stomach terribly and when I complained about it he did nothing.

Another question also, Anyone who has taken or takes Flax seed/Omega 3. Have you noticed any stomach upset,gassiness,cramps while taking?
  2. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

3. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

4. jess

jess New Member

I have been taking flax oil that is unrefined, cold processed and organic for a year. I take it blended with cottage cheese and fruit. this is actually Dr. Budwig's formula that she used with cancer patients. It is also a preventive. I will admit that it does cause gas but it might be from the cottage cheese as I am lactose intolerant. It sure keeps me regular and prevents constipation. I do notice more energy even with only a tablespoon a day. It's worth a try . Jess
  5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I take 2 capsules of flaxseed oil and 1 capsule of fish oil. I take one in the morning and one at night with the fish oil... Been doing it now for almost a year... No problems what so ever...Each capsule is 1000mg. My eye doc got me started on it and it's good for fibro..
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Roseecoop ~ I took flaxseed oil and had no problem with it and I also take a thyroid med (Armour thyroid) but I took them at different times. If I use actual flaxseeds, yes, I do have a crampy tummy. I think you have to work up to it, a little at a time - the seed, that is.

Of course you know best for you but sometimes I think MDs know very little about these things. Did you google it? It's amazing what you can find out.

Marta
  7. DIZ

DIZ New Member

I TAKE THE NATURAL MILLED FLAX SEED AND IT'S BEEN GOOD FOR ME AS FAR AS I KNOW.....BUT REALITY IS ---I DON'T THINK IT STOPS THE FLARES OR MAKES THEM BETTER...........DIZ
  8. bobearl

bobearl New Member

After reading general literature on the subject I decided to try these supplements to see if they had any effect on my fibromyalgia. First I tried

Organic Flax Oil 1,000 mg Hexane Free (Fegers Brand)
    (each softgel contains)
    Flax seed oil 1,000mg
    Alpha linolenic Acid (ALA) 500mg
    Cis-Linoleic acid (LA) 150mg
    Oleic acid 140mg

My results from taking two softgels per day with meals were stomach cramps and diarrhea. No other discernible changes to my symptoms. I discontinued use after 4 days and my system returned to normal in 1 day.

Omega 3 Fish Oil 1,000mg (Sam's Club brand)
    (Each softgel contains)
    Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1,000mg
    (Anchovy, Cod, Clupea, Haddock, Mackerel, Pollack, Salmon, Sardine, Shark, Sprat)
    Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 180mg
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 120mg

After taking three softgels per day, after meals, for the last 2 1/2 days my stomach again seems to not tolerate these oil supplements as I have similar results. I will check back on this thread if things change.

Thanks for your post Roseecoop, hope this helps a little.
  9. millennia

millennia New Member

I've been taking Fisol fish oil for some time now (no fishy burp with that one). I take it mainly for depression and fibrofog. I tried seven different anti depressants before the omega 3 and either they didn't work or made me violently ill. The Omega 3 has worked wonders to lift a debilitating and I'd say potentially life threatening depression. I also doubt I would've been able to finish school without them. As for my cholesterol, last time I had it checked, my doctor told me my good cholesterol was very high and the bad very low. I couldn't figure this out as I have the unhealthiest eating habits a person could have, I attribute it to the fish oil. It really has changed my life. And I have no negative side effects from it. But I don't know anything about mixing it with the meds you're on. Is your doctor usually anti-alternative therapy?
  10. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Hmmm ... I'm really confused about why the omega-3 fatty acids would affect your thyroid. Maybe it's because the omegas can affect a wide variety of functions in your body like inflammation, blood pressure, etc.

I eat flaxseed meal semi-regularly- I put it in pancake batter, sprinkle it on foods ... and I also eat fish because there are omega-3s in that too.
  11. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Here's some lists from my nutrition textbook on the foods that have different omega fatty acids in them (a balance between the two kinds are very important).

Linoleic acid (omega-6 fatty acids):
    leafy vegetables, seeds, nuts, grains, vegetable oils (corn, cottonseed, safflower, sesame, soybean, sunflower), poultry fat

Linolenic acid (omega-3):
    oils (canola, flaxseed, sobean, walnut, wheat germ; liquid or soft margarine made from canola or soybean oil) nuts and seeds (butternuts, flaxseeds, walnuts, soybeans), vegetables (soybeans)

EPA and DHA (also part of omega 3s):
    fatty coldwater fish (mackerel, salmon, bluefish, mullet, sablefish, menhaden, anchovy, herring, lake trout, sardines, tuna)

Omega fatty acids have LOTS of health benefits- they are a type of polyunsaturated fat (a very good kind of fat). Here is a snippet from the book about their functions: "The essential fatty acids serve many functions in the body. They serve as raw materials from which the body makes substances such as eicosanoids that act somewhat like hormones, affecting a wide range of diverse body functions, such as muscle relaxation muscle contraction, blood vessel dilation and constriction, blood clot formation, blood lipid regulation, and immune response to injury and infection including fever, inflammation, and pain. A familar drug, aspirin, relieves fever, inflammation, and pain by slowing the synthesis of these eicosanoids."

Interesting huh? Or am I just a nerd. I think it might be the latter. ;)

Pages 154-155 in "Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies," Tenth edition, by Fraces Sizer and Ellie Whitney.