Flax Seed....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Nov 13, 2002.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I bought some Milled Flax Seed today. It is suppose to be more digestable. Claims to have 2600 mg of Omega-3 Oils per serving. (2 teaspoons)

I was wondering if anybody else uses milled flax seed or in another form. Does it help with muscle soreness or inflamations as advertised?

If there is a better method of delivery let me know.

Thanks!
  2. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I bought some Milled Flax Seed today. It is suppose to be more digestable. Claims to have 2600 mg of Omega-3 Oils per serving. (2 teaspoons)

I was wondering if anybody else uses milled flax seed or in another form. Does it help with muscle soreness or inflamations as advertised?

If there is a better method of delivery let me know.

Thanks!
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I buy the whole flax seeds and grind them myself in a clean coffee grinder dedicated only flax seeds. Start slowly with the flax meal, about half a tablespoon, and work up slowly to more, as it can upset your digestion initially. I take 3 and a half tablespoons in my morning blender drink, been using this for several months now.
    I'm not sure if it's been helping with inflammation or not, although I am feeling in general a little better, but my hair and skin have gotten good results. (now, if it could only get rid of the gray hair for me...) Flax seeds contain alpha linolenic acid, a fatty acid that is very good for us. I can't tolerate fish oil capsules, so this is a good alternative for me.

Flaxseeds have components called lignans that are heart healthy as well. It is a wonderful food all round. You can take it as oil (get the organically grown and cold processed brands if at all possible) in bottles or in capsules. I can't stand the oil, forget to take the capsules, and so do best with the ground meal. I also put the flax meal into granola and yogurt, or just on yogurt.
    This sounds odd, but it is also good sprinkled on peanut butter. You can bake with it, too. Remember, the whole
    seeds are not digestible by humans, you need to grind them
    or use the oil.

Enjoy!

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

Heed the warning about starting out slowly. If you are taking anything like magnesium that tends to loosen up the stools you will be doing double duty with the flax. A naturopath told me 1 tbl each of flax and milk thistle per day as a general good health daily supplement. (another told me to stop both and take fish oil)I cant take soy drinks so I mixed it with almond butter, very ripe bananna and ate it. In a pinch just put the tbl in my mouth swallowed and followed with a water chaser. Not very tasty but it worked. Forgot sometimes sprinkles some flax on salads, in stews or on plain cooked fish. Tried not to cook much because I figured something would be lost with the cooking but don't know. Enjoy

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]