Flax vs Synthroid Also More Problems and Scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Jun 20, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi all,

Well, I haven't been on lately except think I signed on last night for a few min. then off again.

My question is I was thinking that I read something about flax and synthroid should NOT be taken together. Is this true or has anyone else heard? I have been making that shake that was posted here; sorry, memory loss. I also have thyroid problems - rather serious and not solved yet. Just wondered if I should stop with the shakes until I find out for sure.

Another thing, sorry but got more bad news-forgive me if I don't explain good as I don't understand: was diagnosed anemic; bleeding from upper GI or lower GI, scared to look it up. Have to have more tests run. I could go on but better put a hold on anymore bad news; I'm trying to keep my head up but very, very hard to do right now.

Hope all has been at least ok here and have missed you guys. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

God Bless You,

BlueSky555
  2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, BlueSky,

I can just tell you my personal experience. I have hypothyroidism and I find that flax seed or oil makes it worse. There seems to be something in flax that disagrees with my thyroid. Maybe it's the lignins.

So to get my Omega 3 oil I take fish oil instead. Hey, maybe in your shake you could use Chia seeds instead of flax seeds. They're a good source of Omega 3s.

Have you tried Armour thyroid instead of Synthroid? I feel better on Armour, and I've heard a lot of other CFSers say so, too.

Love,
    Forebearance
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Forebearance,

Thank you for your input; it is greatly appreciated. I just signed on this afternoon to check the board and saw that you had responded. As of lately, I have problems staying awake here at the computer. (Due to anemic-working on).

I haven't tried the Armour but will definitely give it a try. Right now, I do not know if thyroid is hypo or hyper since the tests have been run and must have more bloodwork by July 10th for endocrin. visit.

By the way, is this also physician request or over the counter?

Thank you and hope you are ok today,

BlueSky555
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

How do you know if you have estrogen dominance? You'll have raving PMS, bad cramps, sore breasts, breast cysts, and possible endometriosis, the worst end of the estrogen dominance scale. Though I don't believe endometiosis and estrogen dominance are mutually exclusive. I have estrogen dominance problems, but don't think I have endo.

Other things that aggravate estrogen dominance, soy, red clover flower, vit. E, primrose oil. These are all good if you menopausal and can be great if you'd like to avoid risky estrogen replacement therapy, so don't think I'm saying these things are bad in themselves, just contraindicated for e.d.

jeanne
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi jeanne,

Thank you for your response; I didn't get many responses on this one but do appreciate the ones that I did.

I suppose this problem isn't very familiar with many. I wanted to drink "The Shake" but now afraid to drink it until I get further information.

As for the hormone replacement; great information. I'll give some of these a try.

BlueSky555
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm sorry that you are having a rough time!

The anemia is treatable (there are a couple of different kinds, I'm not sure which your's is, that's probably why they are running more tests). It's probably because you have blood loss in your GI tract. Maybe a bit of an ulcer ... don't worry, it sounds worse than it is. :)

It is GREAT you are having medical help and support. It might be scary to kind out what's going on, but you need to find out what it is so it can be fixed! And you're on your way to getting treated so that is very promising.
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi again, BlueSky555!

Armour is prescription, just like Synthroid.

I am doing pretty well today, thanks!

Good luck with everything,
    Love,
    Forebearance