flaxseed oil

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by NewOrleans, Jul 17, 2004.

1. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

Hi. Has flaxseed oil helped you? Has it made a difference in your health?

I just started taking the supplement for my rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's system, and eye problems. The bottle indicates 1 a day. From what I understand, it helps joints, heart, circulation etc. Surprisingly, an opthalmologist recommended flaxseed for blepharitis! I'm desperate for relief and will try just about anything at this point!

2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I recently read a post from someone who asked whether flaxseed or the fish oil capsules with omega 3 were better. Several people responded. All stated that the fish oil was better. So I figure that I will purchase that instead when the present bottle is empty.

Who knows???? Maybe someone else has more information.
  3. craziC

craziC New Member

I take Fish Oil as I'm allergic to flaxseed. I take 4 pills a day - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.

It's supposed to be the best source of Omega 3, 6 and 9. And whatever the bottle recommends as far as how many to take - I always start out at that amount then increase.

With taking supplements it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to really start noticing improvement. So don't give up if it doesn't seem to be helping at first.

Good luck!
    Crazi
  4. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

Read your bio. I also live in Ohio!

You indicated having an allergy to flaxseed. What exactly happens? I have some strange red spots on my legs.

Several days ago I was put on Amoxicillin and non-drying Sudafed Sinus for a bad cough. The doctor seems to think I may have a 'post nasal drip' although it's unnoticeable to me. On the same day, two red blotchy spots appeared on my right leg. I now have 7 spots. Went back to the doc today. She advised going off Sudafed. If there's no improvement, then the Amoxicillin s/b stopped.

I'm more inclined to think my reaction is to the antibiotic. (I'm also on Celebrex, Sulfasalazine, Evoxac, & Prilosec.)
  5. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

Thanks for your input. I haven't come across the message you referred to. Yes, fish oil is suppose to be very beneficial. I was it many years ago and didn't care for the taste.

In browsing messages, one indicated the use of a celery supplement. I plan to do some research on celery.
  6. craziC

craziC New Member

I've never come in contact with flaxseed previously so I really don't know what my reaction is. I had allergy test done and that's how I found out my allergy to flaxseed.

Basically my allergist said not to eat anything that contains flaxseed or take any vitamins/supplements containing it. My reaction to flaxseed was pretty high so I avoid it.

Hugs,
    Crazi
  7. NewOrleans

NewOrleans New Member

for getting back to me. Take care.