Flector Patches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vivian53, May 16, 2009.

1. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I just got an rx for these this week and WOW are they helping. I have a swollen area on my spine that hurts so much. I am already taking the anti-inflammatory drug Mobic and it wasn't helping all that much.

This patch has made a noticeable difference and freed up the area for more movement, more circulation, and so in turn, faster healing , I hope.

I got samples but have turned my rx in to the pharmacy. I hope my insurance will cover them. It would be a shame if I have to stop using them because of money.

2. nink

nink New Member

My fibro-knowledgeable rheumie gave me Flector to try about a year ago, but I haven't used it because I think my insurance won't cover it and haven't wanted to find out if it helps a lot. I know that that thinnking is not exactly rational.

I have gotten very good relief from Voltaren gel and my insurance does cover it in part.
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank goodness my wonderful cousin told me about these pain patches. I had to tell my doctor about them. They have not helped with most of my fibro pain HOWEVER it works GREAT on my costochroditis spots! It is the only thing that has worked with that pain so I am SO happy with them.

My insurance covered it...hope yours does too.

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Whats a Flector Patch?? is it like a Lidoderm patch? i've never heard of them. is it a Narcotic??

Hey if will help Costo, i'll sure ask my doc about them!!
  5. vivian53

vivian53 Member

They are anti-inflamatory patches. They have a pretty good adhesive and are about 3x5 inches. I can wear two at once, for example one on my shoulder blade and one on my lower back. I have big swollen areas there, noticible through my clothes on my shoulder.

Using the patches for about 4 days has reduced the swelling by about 75%. The directions say to change it every 12 hours but my doc suggested they may last as long as 24 hrs, so to play around with them. They are lasting about 18 hrs.

Great reduction in pain. I haven't gotten my rx yet because they had to order them at my pharmacy. I think they will probably be very expensive if my insurance doesn't cover them. You all know how that goes.

Hope I'm wrong, that they are either cheap or covered, and others get the same benefits I have.BR>

They are supposed to be better that orally administered anti-inflammatory drugs because they go straight to the effected area and skip the stomach and thereby avoid all those terrible things you read about NSAIDs.

[This Message was Edited on 05/17/2009]
  6. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I had my rx for the patches filled and they were not covered by my insurance. At HEB (local grocery store chain) they were $380.00 for 60, which is one months worth.

I literally cried when they told me how much they cost. I am going to use them only if nothing else is working and I can't stand the pain any longer. Stretch a one months prescription into about six months if I can.

I am also going to appeal the denial by my insurance, but we all know how that goes.

They really do help swelling and the subsequent pain, so I hope anyone else that is taking an anti-inflammatory that is not working will have the insurance coverage to pay for them.