Flexeril before bed...anyone? making me sleep like a queen.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, Apr 5, 2004.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

was wondering if anyone else uses flexeril as a sleep aid? I was just diagnosed with PLM. This is when your limbs twitch all over at night. I am awoken about 100 times a night from this.

I was given flexeral for this and have been sleeping so good. I take 20mg at bedtime. Last night I took 30mg because I was having a difficult time getting to sleep.

If you take this too, please tell me if this medicine is helping you sleep and have you had to up the dose.

any side effects???
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Judy:

I have been taking Flexeril for about 4 years now. I usually only take 10mg before bed. I find that I am able to stay asleep longer and get more restorative sleep.

At one point I used to have to take 10mg 3 or 4 times a day due to severe muscle spasm, but it is much better now. I also used to take 20mg at bed time, if I was having a bad day. I would then suffer from the inevitible morning after cotton in the head feeling, so it usually was not worth it. Better to take 10mg at bedtime and then 10mg on one of my nighttime wake up walks. I have never taken 30mg at bedtime, and I would be careful about taking that much all at once. ESPECIALLY if you are taking any pain meds, as you could potentially cause more problems, especially with breathing, which requires muscles.

Good luck, and hope you do not have to take 30mg very often. What does your doctor say? Maybe there is something else you could take along with the 20mg that might help you. I am not sure what the max prescribe dose is, but I am guessing that 30mg is up there.

Good luck.

3. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I take flexeril before bed and have for about 5 years. It definitely relaxes me. I take it about an hour before. Now that I'm on Effexor XR, I find it gives me so much more energy that I can't fall asleep as easily. My FM doctor told me to double it to 20, which I will do this week. He has also given me a sleeping pill Imovane, which I may drop if the 20 of flexeril works.

The only side effect I had was drowsiness the next day. This wore off after a while. It was quite funny, my big, brawny husband hurt his back at work, so I offered him one of my flexeril. He said he was absolutely exhausted the next day and could hardly work! My big wimp.

I'm glad the flexeril is helping you.

Take care,
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Good seeing your posts!!
    Yes...I've been taking Flexeril for a few yrs~ I love it for sleep..,and for muscle pain/spasms!! I started at 10mgs an hr before bed and stayed at that untill just recently. Now I take 1 and a half pills(i break one in half) so i'm getting approx. 15 mgs nightly....along with 10 mgs of elavil. I sleep way more soundly! but sometimes I try to go without and I can't sleep at all!! I keep waking up every 2 hrs or so.
    Overall....I like it! I use to feel a bit zapped the next morning from it....,but not anymore.
    If needed for muscle spasm, I could easily take 1 during the day and still function.
    I think I like your "sleeping like a queen" better
    than my "I slept like a log"
    Either way,it helps~
    Hope your doing well~
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I will try just 10mg tonight- the breathing post got to me!! I never considered this.

yes, I have been very dopey in the a.m.- good thing we are on springbreak.

Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I do not take Flexeril. I took Klonopin for a while, but it made me feel awful and hungover. I do take Zanaflex (6mg each night) and if I am able I take 2mg during the day and rest. I do not feel hungover at all. I too have restless sleep, it goes beyond PLM. Severe kicking and thrashing. Had bad headaches every morning for years, now they are few and far between.(I forget what the doc called it) I had a sleep study and everything.
    I also get severe muscle spasms all over, this helps.
  7. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Admittedly, I know that I have been no where (thankfully!) near to having that many episodes at night with severe kicking and thrashing, I do know that my RSL stopped the day I started taking magnesium malate. And my nights are generally much calmer these days down to a combo of melatonin and LDN.

Getting a good, restful night's sleep is so imperative for us! It gives our bodies the opportunity to heal and repair.