Flexeril dosage for stage 4 sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acesk, May 5, 2006.

1. acesk

acesk New Member

Hi,

My doctor gave me flexeril 10 mg yesterday to take at bedtime so I wounldn't be so sore in the a.m. and to help with stage 4 sleep.

I took it with my melatonin (only half my dose of melatonin), but it only helped a little. Woke up off and on.

What dose do you take for sleep?

Thanks.
    Sue in Florida
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I used to take flexeril, 3/10 mgs a day and it made it difficult for me to stay awake. I would dose during the day but not really go into a deep sleep.

Hope this helps a little,
    Take Care!

BlueSky555
  3. lolee

lolee New Member

I've noticed that it took about a month for it to really effect my sleep.

Doc switched my to Flexericl from a different muscle relaxer, similar doasage BUT 5mg 3Xday, now I'm already on 40mg Oxcycontin 3Xday plus have little 5mg oxy's that I can up to 12 pills (60mg) a day for breakthrough pain, plus zoloft, topomax, and volataren(anti-inflammatory) I have some spine/bone/joint issues too! LOL!

ANYWAY, I can't take the Flexeril throughout the day or I wouldn't be able to function at work (full-time :( )
    So I take 10mg, at bedtime and doc is cool with that . . . . well about a month in to this, I'm sleeping like a log! I'f you back at any of my older posts I haven't slept more then 1 hour at a time, and never more then say 3 or 4 hours TOTAL all added up in 24 hour period since I was a teenager! and I 43!

Well now . . . . .poof I'm out! and I sleep! I have an occasionally sleepless night and at time take an Ambien CR but not very often . . . . .I got a perscription in Feb. and I've used 4 . . . .OOOO big druggy here!!!! HA HA HA!!!!

Wishing so much wellness that your cup runneth over!

Lolee
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2006]
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

I have taken as much as 20mg before bedtime, but I am no longer on it as it ceased to work. I'm on Klonopin now with much better results. I take half of a 1mg tablet at bedtime. I fall asleep quickly and stay that way. I awake fairly refreshed with no hangover. Unfortunately it only cuts my pain a little so I still have that to contend with, but my family says I'm much calmer and more pleasant to be around since I started the Klonopin.

Michelle
  5. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

My Rheumy wrote my script for
    five 10 mg tablets at bedtime

yep, five.

Now, the directions she gave me was start with one. Then, go up until I am able to sleep 6 or 7 hours without waking. I work 2nd shift, so I don't have to worry about being a bit groggy first thing in the morning. I am also "allowed" to use the 5 per day any way I want.. as long as I don't go over the 5. For instance, if I over do it and my back or shoulders ache, I can take one every 6 or 8 hours during the day... or even 2 at a time during the day.

I found that most nights, I take 2 or 3. If I am more sore than normal, I take 3. If I have a night where I can sleep 8-9 or more hours I will take 4 and get the extra sleep in. If it is a night where I have to get up really early, and know I will only be able to get in 6 hours, I only take 1.

It's been the best thing for sleep for me. I've used it this way for over 5 years.
  6. starmom

starmom New Member

My docs have repeatedly insisted I try flexiril over the years. probably every 5 years or so some doc says I need to try it, it will work.

Last time they had me taking 3 at a time. NEVER helped with anything. Didn't even make me drowsy. Would rather have M&M's, at least they taste good.

Glad they help you.

Susie
  7. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

Hi

I take 3-5 10 mg flexeril every night so I can sleep. It really does help me a lot, my doctor says that continues use of flexeril will not only help with sleeping but it effects chemicals in the brain which in turn help with some other symptons of fms. I can honestly say I wasnt sure about that when he said that to me but after taking it for 6 months I can tell a difference when I don't take it. I hope you find something soon that helps you sleep better.

Tania