Flexeril vs anti-depressants for sleep and depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedB, Mar 11, 2003.

1. RedB

RedB New Member

I've been taking Flexeril for 6 years now at bedtime, and thought I'd provide this little bit of info about it. For those of you who have problems with ant-depressants, you might want to try this for awhile. Keep in mind that I also take Ativan for sleep, but that is an anxiety drug, not an anti-depressant. Flexeril definitely makes you sleepy, so taking it during the day is harder. They are currently planning a 1/2 dose pill of it for daytime use. Or, you can cut your 10mg pill in half and take that. Here's the info:

"Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril). This medication can be used on a longer-term basis and actually has a chemical structure related to some antidepressant medications, although it is not an antidepressant. Usually it is prescribed as 10mg every six hours as needed to relieve low back pain associated with muscle spasm, or it can also be prescribed as 10mg at night as needed to help with difficulty sleeping. Flexeril can impair mental and physical function, and may lead to urinary retention in males with large prostates."

Kathy
  2. JP

JP New Member

thanks for the tip. I take Elavil for sleep and the dose keeps climbing. I have thought about a rotation of medications for sleep so I do not need to increase the dose...think I will just ask my doc to replace my Elavil for Flexeril. I have used this med in the past...kicks my butt! Soma might help with sleep too.

Thanks again,
    Jan
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even though one is an antidepressant and one is a muscle relaxer. I've tried both and each one put 20 pounds on me in a very short period of time. Both made me very sleepy, but I awoke as tired as when I went to be and I awoke in a foggy state which lingered like a hangover.

Some here have gotten relief from these meds, but not me.

Love, Mikie
  4. wings1

wings1 New Member

with Mikie. I have taken both of these drugs and gained about twenty pounds from each one. I know all drugs are different with all people. Just thought I'd let you know.

God Bless
    Wings1