Flexeril & Weight Gain...How many have NOT gained weight from it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lanie, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Hi! Can everyone that has been on Flexeril tell me if there is a side effect of weight gain?

I used to be on it but I was also on a couple other meds that caused gain. The doctor wants me back on it for the spasms and since I just went thru hell to lose weight, weight gain is not an option!

How many of you have NOT gained weight from the Flexeril??

Thanks,
    Lanie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Flexeril is in the same family of drugs as Elavil and also causes the weight gain seen in Elavil.

Love, Mikie
  3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I too have experienced weight gain since taking the flexeril
    and really need to discover what else can be used that will give me relief with less side effects. We are going into spring here in Michigan and hoping my symptoms will lessen with the warmer weather...just thought about the weight gain and wonder what I will wear!LOL love Rebel
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I gained weight while I was on Flexeril. Then I lost it.
    When I had to go back on a Muscle relaxer, I chose the Soma, it helps a lot of other conditions, including my IBS.
    I have not gained weight on it or any of my other med's.

I also didn't like the way Flexeril made me feel, the Soma at first made me sleepy, but I found that if I quatered them, I could take a dose that would help, but not put me to sleep. Usually a 1/2 will work, and then at my night dose I take a whole one. Without it I have muscle spasms like crazy, and my gut get's tied up in Knots.

I recently tried Baclofen, but it made me feel the same way as the Flexeril, so went back to the soma.

Hope you find something to help you, please share if you do.

Sincerely
    kredca4
  5. AC77

AC77 New Member

If the flexeril is helping and you want something that gives the same relief with a little less weight gain and sedation. It's definetly worth a trial of 10-25mgs of nortriptyline (Pamelor) a few hrs prior to Bed. It's in the same family--a tricyclic, and some studies show it to be about as effective as Elavil and Flexeril w/o as many side-effects. These types of meds help many with stiffness and some pain and most people either love or hate them. No in-between! The have many cons but on the pos. side they are dirt cheap in generic and have been around many years so are well documented.

I always would try Pamelor first, Despramine, then Flexeril Or Elavil
  6. malony33

malony33 New Member

Hi, Lanie,

I take Flexeril,Klonopin,Effexor,Welbutrin,Allegra,and Azmacort - occasionally Librax,too - and I gained SO MUCH weight (I'm 5'2",used to weigh 110 to 113, now 132 to 142 !! ). It's a nightmare ! If anyone can recommend at least a replacement for Flex.,I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
    malony33
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I gained it when I was still working out like crazy at the gym. I ate very little but despite this, the pounds just piled on, 20 pounds on each one.

Love, Mikie
  8. Lanie

Lanie New Member

He said with my issues, medically, allery and with the surgery I just had that Flexeril is the best choice for me. I won't eat more, because basically, I can't.

I would like to hear from people who take Flexeril and didn't gain weight. He said it is a side effect but doesn't happen to everyone. If I don't get enough replies, I will start a new thread.

Thanks again to all of you for your input. It is very much appreciated!
    Best wishes,
    Lanie
  9. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Lanie,
    I was on Elivil and Flexril at the same time. Both have the reputation of causing weight gain. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months. I decided to stop both as the added weight caused such pain in my legs it just wasn't worth the sleep I am losing. Some people don't gain with these meds but I unfortunatly did, so stopping them was a no brainer for me.
    I am not sure if just taking the Flexiril would cause a big a weight gain, hope not. Have a painfree night Lanie.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  10. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

when I was on the flex as my husband calls it, I had a strong craving for sugar. I did gain some weight but then I started taking soma and lost it. I like the soma much better and it helped me more with the pain. I already told my Doctor I would not take drugs that would make me gain weight. some is okay but not alot
    God Bless
    Lisa
  11. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I didn't realize that flexeril caused wt gain too. I have gained about 20lbs since jan when I started flexeril...also related to steroid injections in feb, but am still gaining long after the injections. I had gained 3 more lbs in the last 2 weeks between my dr's visits...it's terrible.
  12. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I take Flexeril only when I need to quell the severe muscle spasms, so I'm not on it regularly. But I have gain 40 lbs. in the past 3 years since I started taking Mirapex, which is for Parkinson's but I take it for tremors and RLS.I've gained 80 lbs since 1991 when I started having panic disorder and went on Paxil and Xanax, that's what really makes you fat!
  13. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I may only take it when the spasms get really bad...

Bumping this for replies on how many take it and haven't gained the weight...

Best wishes,
    Lanie
  14. abjessop

abjessop New Member

a month ago and FINALLY I've stopped gaining and started losing!!!!!! Elavil is nasty - I was starting to think I had an eating disorder, I was bingeing so much while on it (besides gaining about 40 lbs last year). Now the appetite is back to 3 meals a day.

I must say, I'm a little dismayed to hear that Flex can cause weight gain, but maybe it just means that I'd lose weight faster if I got off it...

I'm also on Topomax for headaches, started a few weeks ago, which is well known for making you lose weight, so I figured that was what was causing it.

Hugs,
    abby
  15. Lanie

Lanie New Member

For replies about those who DID NOT gain weight from Flexeril.
    Thanks again,
    Lanie
  16. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Thought I would try one more time...
    Thanks.
    Lanie