Flickering vision anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1Writer, Dec 10, 2002.

1. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

It's like when a light flickers...comes and goes...doesn't last long...doctor doesn't know why...I have CFS and Thyroid disease along w/a host of other stuff in my bio, but this flickering eyesight is really starting to worry me. Has anyone out there had problem? Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    1Writer
  2. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

It's like when a light flickers...comes and goes...doesn't last long...doctor doesn't know why...I have CFS and Thyroid disease along w/a host of other stuff in my bio, but this flickering eyesight is really starting to worry me. Has anyone out there had problem? Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    1Writer
  3. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

for any autoimmune diseases...should show high C-reactive proteins and several other tests should have shown positive results, but didn't...do all autoimmune diseases react to those tests?
    1Writer
  4. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

My doctor still dx me w/CFS even though the tests were negative and so I guess it could be a factor of my CFS or maybe it's something else...I don't know, I'm just frustrated.
    1Writer
  5. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

as being part of any systemic disorder, bt I do wonder if you're getting migraines without the pain. They can produce weird visual effects sometimes. If the sensation continues to worry you, I would try and get a neuro to do an EEG -- it might give you some answers.
    Best wishes,
    --marcus
  6. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I usually get the aura w/my migraines, though...but my PCP suggested my getting a head MRI after the first of the year...(that's because I didn't want to spend the money on the deductible for my insurance right here at Christmas). Maybe, I should take him up on it...what do you think?
    1Writer
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

all was negative and have been to two optamologist nothing mechanically wrong with my eyes--just part of the deal I guess. If it continues to be bothersome I would go to eye doc just to make sure all is fine----remember not everything is fibro

cathy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's like the ambient light is akin to a bad fluorescent light tube. I believe it is related to the seizure state in our brains which produces sensory overload.

I had my eyes dialated today for my annual exam, and the screen on my computer is flickering and driving me nuts. It must be because there is so much light entering my eyes.

Love, Mikie
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Its like someone is flipping the lights off and back on real fast. I thought I was just crazy. Oh I'm so glad someone else has experienced this. I mean I'm not glad but glad...you know what I mean.
  10. herekitty

herekitty New Member

My doctor called mine "ocular migraine" - sounds like what the others were describing. If one must have a migraine, it's much bettetr than the ususal kind!
    Kitty =^..^=
  11. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

for all of the advise...I'm not as worried now that I know there are quite a few others out there with this same problem. I still think I'll discuss w/my doc about getting it checked out...will let you know what I find out. It's going to be after the holidays, though, before I go back to the doc, so it may be awhile before I know more. It's interesting that several of you mentioned it could be a form of migraine...I do have them, but in the past I always had the aura before...you know, the "typical" aura: zigzag flashing lines that start in the corner of your vision and travel across your vision and then disappear. It usually hits me while watching TV or walking into bright sunlight. I'll notice that half the TV screen seems to disappear! The one fortunate thing here is that I don't normally get a really "killer" headache, just a mild one on one side of my head, behind an eye and I also have sensitivity to light, so I lie down in the dark and take a nap. The flashing, though, doesn't preciptate a headache. Just the flashing and it doesn't seem to last very long. I don't get it everyday, but most days at least once. If anyone else has anything to offer, let us all know.
    Thanks,
    1Writer
  12. dlizard

dlizard New Member

its like seeing patterns over in the corner of your eye sometimes and its very distracting.. sometimes its alot of it and sometimes just a few... when its alot you can rule out driving and most everything. I have had hypoglycemia before and its alot like that but no sweating or need to eat or shakes or any of that.... its visual only... if you find out how to stop it let me know LOL>>>> Good luck!
  13. AnnG

AnnG New Member

One of my first symptoms of "trouble" was the vision in my left eye. It seemed to focus and unfocus at will and during the best of times it was like having a dirty contact in. That was what started my trips to Doctors to get help. I had a MRI, EEG, etc. They all came back normal. But, the DR was very kind and said I owed it to myself to have some peace of mind. Isn't it comforting to know we are not alone?

I too, noticed all the similarities we share and I look forward to "talking" with you more!

Ann
  14. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

dlizard: I know that for bad migraines there are meds out there, but mine aren't bad enough for me to ask for more meds...I already take enough, but for those of you that do have them bad and don't take anything, talk to your doc...no need to be in pain.

Ann: Great to hear from you again...so the doc never could figure out why your vision was blurry? Migraines, ruled out? Hope so, they stink! My vision is flashing...really weird, like a flickering light...today it's been off and on all day, but seems to have let up this evening. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the doc comes up with after the holidays. I'll let you know.
    Talk again soon,
    1Writer
  15. I had this recently for the first time, my dr. said that happens when we get a migrane, you can get one without the head pain. It was very strange and quite scarey! I thought oh no now what!!
  16. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Several people have told me the same thing...the only problem w/that theory where I'm concerned, is it lasts quite awhile and happens often. Migraines don't "normally" happen everyday, so I'm not really sure if that's what's happening w/me. I do have migraines sometimes, but get the typical aura w/mine and the headaches aren't really debilitating like some people get. Sometimes, I don't even get the headache at all, but always the aura. I guess I'll take all the info everyone has given me and talk to my doc and see where to go from here.
    Thanks,
    1Writer
  17. kay

kay New Member

sight at times. I can be driving down the street and all of th sudden, I cant see the whole car, thatis coming towards me. It like when you look at a fire and see heat waves coming off it or a maraze (SP) in a dessert. It is so scary. Its like at the store, I cant see the whole item that I am looking at. I went and got my eyes checked,they wre ok. He said they might be headaches but today I had more x-rays and the doctor showed me wre I have detereorating disc's in my neck (bad)!! Well I was telling him about my vision and he asked if I have been checked for diabetis? Thats my next step! lINDA
  18. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

sounds like migraines to me...ask your doctor, tell him how you're seeing...I lose half of my vision when I have the aura and then get the headache...do you get a headache after your vision problem?

1Writer
  19. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

If you're vision has been checked only by an optometrist or inernist, I suggest you have it checked by an ophthamologist. Optic neuritis can cause some pretty strange symptoms, often but not always accompanied by pain (e.g., headaches). This was my first recognized MS symptom. When it was first diagnosed for me, I kept losing parts of the visual field. It was as if a flash bulb (remember those?) had gone off in my face, and I had the after-images floating all over the place. Except these "after-images" were floating blind spots. After a few weeks, the vision came back, but the ophthalmogist kep telling me every time I'd go in for a checkup that he could see some atrophy in the nerve.

Obviously, visual problems can be caused by many things, but with all due respect to optometrists (some of whom are great), you really should have this sort of thing checked out by somebody who has the medical background to do more than check your vision for glasses.

--Laura R.M.
  20. DenialQueen

DenialQueen New Member

I think this icon says it all.. how I feel when my eyes go wacky that is ;)

I say symptomS because I have many & varied visual problems. I've not only been thoroughly checked out by an Opthamologist, but even a Neuro Opthamalogist. The Neuro Opthamologists are so specialized, there are only 2 in my state! The Neuro Op told me the same thing my Opthamologist has said for years -- it's all part of this entiety CFS (and/or FMS). I read this almost everywhere in CFS & FMS info too, so am rather surprised that so many here do not have weird visual disturbances?

Ah.. but we're all different :) I also get migraines (and often daily too), & always have the visual auras, but these strange visual things also happen without any h/a at all. Flourescent lights always do me in! Head movement does too. Standing in line at the grocery checkout & when I turn my head slightly to look at the cashier, it's enough movement for everything to start jumping. I get double vision, blurred vision, jumpy vision (words moving on the page & things around me moving around rapidly), as well as the aura type things (like having vaseline around the perimeter of my eyes, & of course, floaters.

It seems my eye problems always come on when I'm overly fatigued LOL! I laugh because when AREN'T we tired? LOL My hubby can tell when I'm over my limit, because my pupils become extremely small -- itty bitty pin points like someone on drugs. Docs also said this is normal for CFS and/or FMS. Unfortunately, the visual problems come on so quickly & without warning, that I can't drive any distance at all. I make it to the local stores -- grocery, drug store, etc., but all my docs, family, etc. are all 20-30 minutes or more away & no way can I drive that distance (and back) anymore.

I've been ill with CFS, FMS, IBS, (and a lot of other initials lol) almost 12 years now. Since visual disturbance was my very first symptom, they thought I had a stroke or TIA. After ruling that out, they spent years (and still are in fact) ruling out MS. I've had pain in my eyes along w/weird visual stuff too.

Anyway -- sorry for the long post, but didn't want you to worry too much 1Writer :) Of course, we should always have any new symptom checked out, but I've learned if there's no new cause found.. well, you know how that story goes.