Flooded in hurricane.... Life Goes On

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by windblade, Aug 29, 2011.

1. windblade

windblade Active Member

We made it all the way through the hurricane.

Then, Sunday night after all the winds and rain were over, while we were sleeping, thinking we had got through it, the waters from rivers crested and flooded us - our car is flooded.

We are surrounded by a lake of water in the back, and the side and front of our house. And the street also. Up to the top of stairs, and into our enclosed porch. And water up to top of stairs by kitchen. It's over waist-deep.

We are on police list to be rescued, but there are so many around in different areas.

Please pray for my PTSD - I think I am in some kind of bad shock or bad reaction.

Thank you for prayers - need them very much.
    Love, Wind
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2011]
  2. springwater

springwater Member

Oh dear! this wasnt needed at all. grrrrrr. i am so angry.

i have been praying for you, i saw your post yesterday but my lights went off
    and couldnt reply.

but have been praying for your ptsd to subside and for everything to be put
    in order.

i was praying and prayng that maybe this was a way you could get a beautifulnew
    house in a beautiful neighbourhood with good neighbours and quiet and peace.
    I dont know. who knows. it could happen.

pls stay strong. i know your faith is deep and you will be needing it.

havent heard from Rain and do so hope she too is fine. she is wise and good
    and i think we take it for granted all is well with her but she hasnt posted and
    just wondering.

Hope all our little gang here is fine, like Cynthia and mr Bill n all.

God Bless
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

Spring - thank you for prayers! I believe they are very valuable. I know what you mean about getting angry for people suffering. When I was 20 I came across the wisest advice. It said to bring all of our anger to God - to get angry with him. This has been enormously helpful to me over the years because first off I had so much anger stuffed away that children from abusive homes have.

And this very wise teacher said that it's the healthiest thing to do - since God can handle it. And since my anger easily turns back against myself into depression, it became a healing way of dealing with things.

Yes, who knows what will come of this? As in possible future good. I'm feeling so, so sorrowful. Since I last wrote this - yesterday a place that was dry - the town became flooded up to top windows of houses. And also a whole town, Paterson, now completely covered - up to the tops of bridges and over.

I've had to keep watching local news because the danger of another flood was possible, as rivers hadn't reached their limit yet. So had to monitor what was happening. I'm still packed, but it doesn't seem likely that it will flood more.

We've been declared a Federal Disaster Area. Our car cannot be fixed. We were fortunate that water didn't come into house - it was at top of stairs - only a very few inches more would have done it.

Our enclosed porch had water in it though, and basement/crawl place where the heater is, was completely flooded.

I was just outside with my husband - in a shed and our garage - also flooded, all his earlier paintings and drawings flooded.

I have to try and learn how harmful the bacteria in floodwaters is.

4. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Wind, I am not sure what they will do for you..I just know that I am praying that it will be soon!! And, that it will be the best for your whole family. I am sure you are going through a flare by now, plenty of stress!

Rain, you are selling your little farm? I know that had to be a mostly, hard decision to make. You will have many good past memories of this little farm. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do to make life easier. Take lots of pictures until you get it sold. Not just of it, but of you and your husband..catch him doing something cute with an animal..same goes for you, maybe he can get some pictures of you with your favorite animals.

I will find out soon if I need surgery. I am going to a Neouro..the MRI showed a lot! Man, never expected surgery. They found several nerve roots involved..narrowing...several blood vessels mangled together is all that I can think of since I can't remember the word, plus lipomas. It would be wonderful if I could get by with just having the tumors removed and that would be that, but this PC physician said I had a lot of narrowing in a few places. I'm just hanging on to that word..maybe. I have been through therapy, no help, but not for this..so maybe.. All I know is that I am soo tired of pain. I can't do much...let alone if there was a flood all around and in my house! I would be useless. My hubby and son, and neighbors would be helping. I hope you get a lot of help Wind. God Bless, love, Cynthia
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

Rainbow - dear one!!! Oh- how wonderful to hear from you. To connect again. I didn't know if we ever would - so very glad that you're here.

Oh Rain - I'm heartbroken over your having to sell your farm. Can't find any words to wrap around the magnitude of it - knowing how deeply you love and are connected.

Is your husband bedbound at this point? What kind of symptoms is he suffering from? I'm thinking..... was it in the spring or sooner that he had the bout of shingles. Yes, I remember that. I didn't know shingles could change into CFS.

Doz - my goodness! The MRI showed so much - nerve roots damage, tumors, and I thought that you had said bones were damaged? Cartilage? Have been praying for you since your last update. When you stay perfectly still, on your right side, does the pain go away, or lessen?

It's terrible to be battered by unrelenting pain. Will keep praying for relief, and something to be done with all the MRI findings. I believe in God's love for us all - even and I think especially through these batterings. Jesus - Abba is near to the brokenhearted.
    Through the hurricane I was memorizing this by Theresa of Avila:

"Let nothing disturb thee,
    Nothing affright thee,
    All things are passing,
    God never changes,
    Patient endurance attaineth to all things,
    Who God possesseth in nothing is wanting,
    Alone God sufficeth.

I follow very slowly, step by step in the paths of my beloved mystics and saints. While they zoomed.

If I was in so much pain - couldn't concentrate. But would keep calling out to Jesus. I know you said that your talking to him went even deeper lately - in your last post. I understand that.

It is such a major comfort to connect with you all again!!! You are deeply in my prayers.

Love, Wind
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Sending you all prayers for your various things you are dealing with.
  7. springwater

springwater Member

to be enduring different things at this moment. All struggling.

Cynthia - i never dreamed you were suffering all that pain. I hope
    something can be done and your foot recovers.

Rain - it shocked and saddened me to hear that you might have
    to sell your little farm so i can imagine how upset you must be.
    All those animals inside and outside too!
    Also, i never dreamt your dh might be ill.

Im praying for all of you. Yes, Im angry. Angry at this all being allowed
    to happen.

Judy how strange. A week back i was so down and tired of all the
    challenges and was venting my anger out at God and then felt guilty
    about it, and then you wrote saying we can take our anger to God
    because He can handle it.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2011]
  8. springwater

springwater Member

God Bless

pc acting up so added the end here.
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

Spring, no don't feel guilty. Our anger comes from all the sufferings that we see and experience, and wondering, and being shocked that God allows it. I would just say to ask also for a greater knowing of Love.

Just about 6 months ago, when I was going through such long torment, I was so angry with God because I was so pushed to the edge. I didn't know how I could have anything more to do with him. Also at times like that I'm open in such a raw way to all kinds of sufferings in the world.

I was struggling with all this, and started thinking of when Christ was dying on the cross, completely unjustly - and he prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." I just saw this pure love, and my heart was captivated all over again.

I shakily worked my way back from the edge, and thankfully had others to pray for me, to help me to rest and recuperate, and repair that relationship between Jesus and myself. I had noticed too that I was becoming very bitter and seeing only the dark in life, and consumed with fear for the future. So I definitely needed spiritual healing, and chose to trust again, and in a new and deeper way.

I know that the Divine One suffers with us, and loves our communications. And understands our anger, and hurt, and dreams and joys. And loves honesty.

Rainbow, dear friend, please don't worry about sharing your struggles. Whatever you are sharing
    of joys or pain or everything in-between, it is so wonderful to have you here!

I know what you mean about seeing that my situation here could have been worse. Yes, it is so true - so many have lost their homes, neighborhoods, everything. I'm so thankful that the coast was all evacuated - many lives were saved, I'm sure. And other places where people were warned to leave in time.

I let myself grieve, or feel sad as feelings arise, since that works best for me. But my husband and I were saying just what you said also, that it could have been much worse.

And then we had a lovely simple meal together, and it was so homey and cozy. I chopped up scallions and celery, and added lemon juice, dill, yogurt, and mayonnaise to tuna fish. With fresh, juicy tomatoes on the side. A Swedish recipe that I love and hadn't made in a long time. It gave me such pleasure because my husband enjoyed it so much. We watched The Milagro Beanfield War - an excellent movie.

I've been playing around a little bit with sound therapy. Have become interested lately in chanting, and the way that sounds affect us in a good way. My husband had ordered a drum which was delivered the first day that mail came through after the storm. It's very lightweight, round - the kind you hold in your hand.

I started experimenting with it, at first I searched for a sound that I needed to hear - like a heartbeat. It affected me so strongly I was amazed, it brought healing tears . The next day I played it with more verve, the next time with anger and protest and a different kind of life-force.

There are so many different kinds of healing in the world!
  10. windblade

windblade Active Member

I am praying so hard for you! I know you will understand when I say that I am praying for Jesus to use this time to pour out his love for you - into you - in such great abundance that you are saturated with his love! That it will be a great river, a powerful stream of his life, his living water.

I've got tears in my eyes because I can feel and sense that great sorrowing, rejoicing love that he has for you.

Am also praying for relief from the pain, for guidance in the next medical steps to be taken. I know what you mean about how hard it is to not be able to do anything. I felt that way today, in a smaller way, when I couldn't help my husband clear away the enormous amounts of debris from the storm. And disinfect floors, and things.

I hate that you have this terrible pain! But just want you to know that my prayers are there with you in it, until you're through this.

Much love to all,
    Wind
  11. windblade

windblade Active Member

I knew you would understand. Yes, the heartbeat of Mother Earth!

A lullaby, a connection, the thumping and beating pulse of life.
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

Well, we're doing a big cleanup. My husband is doing 95% - and I'm doing about 5 - whatever I have strength for. We've had nice sunny days, which is drying everything out well. My poor husband had about 20 or more of his paintings stored in a shed and our garage which were flooded.

We uncovered them all, and dried them out in the sun, and will be able to save some.

I had some wonderful pet therapy with my next door neighbor's dog. She is a Bijon Frise, what a sweetheart! Small, with curly springy white fur, and melting brown eyes. She was a rescue dog, and is so well loved and loving. What a delight she is. Just petting her, and getting that doggy love was so healing. Thinking of Two Cat's Caesar and Shelby that bring so much healing - they are so amazing!

Rainbow - as we go about our taking care of things, my husband and I will each stop and play something on the drum. I needed a gentle, soothing heartbeat sound today - so comforting. there was a documentary on PBS called, "Who Does She Think She Is", about women artists, painters, singers, sculptors. And one woman had a drum similar to ours, and it was her explanation of it that made me understand for the first time what it was all about - I was so fascinated.

Sending prayers for you and your husband.

Doz, I am so concerned about you. I've been thinking over all the problems with your neck - the discs, the nerve damage, all of it. And praying so hard throughout the day. For some kind of pain reduction for a start.

Spring, I hope you're giving yourself good resting times without guilt or self-criticism. But can find small pleasures and use it as a healing and replenishing time! We all have to constantly remind ourselves to give compassion to ourselves as we would to others. That is another way of healing, I believe.

My neighbor is thinking of having Chloe be a therapy dog in nursing homes. She will bring such joy there! I got to know my neighbor on a much deeper level - my goodness, we have so much in common.

And not only does she understand PTSD, but completely understands CFS, and multiple chemical sensitivity. Which is so rare. I was explaining to her that these days I can't walk very far, get out of breath, dizzy, have to stop every few minutes. And she still wants to mosey along on small walks with me.

She even said that her mother had left behind some kind of a folding wheelchair, and I could walk some, and then use the chair some. I'm really ready for that. I want to visit the heron who lives in a small stream up the block. And then, to get out and look at the Autumn leaves. Oh man, what a gift! I was so joyful all day thinking about it all.

( I somehow jumbled up the order of these paragraphs - too tired to sort them out)

Keeping you all in my heart throughout the day, as I go about things.

Love, Wind
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

Thinking of you today. And thinking how important it is for us all to live in the now. To love and receive the goodness around us each day.

I'm missing your stories about the Pone Devil, all his grouchy, troublesome antics. Ha - he gives us such joy and laughter in the stories you tell. And all you share about each animal, and the flowers and plants and pond and stars.

I hope my saying this is not troubling to you. But I'm thinking of now, today, because we never know how long we have in this life. And today is the day to love the Pone Devil, to love all your creatures, giving them your heart.

Love to you and all those who you love,
    Wind
  14. windblade

windblade Active Member

Just wanted to let you know that we're having heavy rains from the tropical storms, and rivers might rise again - we're in a flood watch. Thanking you for your prayers ahead of time. Will keep in touch as best as I can. Love, Wind
    p.s. sorry to be sharing so much bad news
  15. windblade

windblade Active Member

Have just been in touch with a cousin. We can go there, and be safe and dry, and their house was not flooded. So, So thankful!!!
  16. springwater

springwater Member

Rain - thank you for the update; i just love the rural feel your posts give. altho
    i am grieved at the thought of your having to leave the farm, I am glad you
    shared it with us. More than ever, we can pray for the right outcome.

Judy - i am grateful you will be able to go to this cousin where it is safe and
    dry. I saw pictures of Vermont and some parts of NJ. Such a challenge.

Praying hard here.

God Bless
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I wanted to say I am thankful you have a safe place to go.. Between the flooding, rain and awful wildfires here in TX may GOD bless us all and help those in need.

If you find a way to send some of your rains here we would be most grateful :)!!

May God also continue to bless those who lost loved ones at 9/11 and their families as we commemorate the 10th anniversary of those horrific acts today.

GS and blessings to you and all,
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2011]