Flu and fibromyalgia??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have been wheezing for a couple of days with a light and tight cough. A number of people at work are sick, so I am assuming that I am getting what is going around. I know some people with fibromyalgia have flu like symptoms. I am also aware of the "flu theories" and fibromyalgia. This is the first time I have really started feeling “flu like” with fibromyalgia. I have had it about 2-3 years. I just wanted to get some opinions from the veterans out there. Do you think this is the fibromyalgia or am I getting the flu? I know you can’t diagnosis me over the Internet, but hopefully you know what I am getting at! Thanks for the help!

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have been wheezing for a couple of days with a light and tight cough. A number of people at work are sick, so I am assuming that I am getting what is going around. I know some people with fibromyalgia have flu like symptoms. I am also aware of the "flu theories" and fibromyalgia. This is the first time I have really started feeling “flu like” with fibromyalgia. I have had it about 2-3 years. I just wanted to get some opinions from the veterans out there. Do you think this is the fibromyalgia or am I getting the flu? I know you can’t diagnosis me over the Internet, but hopefully you know what I am getting at! Thanks for the help!

Kurt
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

anti viral med. It may help reduce the effects of the real Flu. Fibro flu isn't fun either and bot it is hard at first to know which it is. I'd call the doc and assume it may be the real thing sice others at work have it. Don't wait the med only can help if you take it with in the first couple days.

Hope you feel better soon and me personnally would take the week off. You don't need to get worse feeling either way. REST and rest and call the doc that's what he or she is there for.

If you're like my husband ( we both have thisand CFS ) he'd not call and I have to. Please call and check it out.

Take care, Kim and Gary
  4. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I've had FM for at least 10 years. I hardly ever get sick but when I do I'm down for the count.

I got the flu about 5 years ago and I was in bed for a week. I was so sick I had to crawl to the bathroom. I spent most of the time in a fetal position just wanting to be put out of my misery.

I'm not saying this to scare you at all. What you have is most likely something that is going around but it can impact you harder than the average bear, so you may want to take Kim's advice and ask your doc for the flu meds if the symptoms worsen at all.

My Fibro "flu" only started about a year ago. I don't quite recall a sudden onset. I think it was gradual. That's also when I started feeling more pain in my joints (as opposed to just my muscles) and more fatigue.

I know we're all impacted differently but I just wanted to share my experience with you.

Hope you feel better soon!

-Shoobie

5. fibolady

fibolady New Member

if you are running a fever i would think it is the flu or some type of bug. usually fmsers don't run a fever.

hope you are feeling better today,
    warm regards, fibolady
  6. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I'm not a veteran nor am I a doctor. GET IT CHECKED OUT. There is nothing worse than waiting, worrying, and feeling like crap. Especially if you are running a fever...

Feel better. Lisa
  7. Thella

Thella New Member

I am new here but not to fibro.
    I would say you have the flu. I have never had the flu and with the fibro I don't feel like I have the flu. I just hurt.
    I would call the dr. and ask his opinion. If it is the flu you don't want to walk around spreading it even farther.
    To be on the safe side drink lots and stay in bed. Chicken soup is wonderful.
    take care
    Thella