flu injection yes or no?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly8, Apr 21, 2007.

1. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Like a lot of us I go to several doctors and I am getting conflicting advice.

One want me to have the annual flu injection (which did make me quite ill for several weeks last time I had it), arguing that if the injection makes me ill, imagine how ill I would be if I got the flu!!!

Another says not to have it. Rather, he says to take care of myself and use garlic, olive leaf extract, rhodiola, vit C and Vit D. He also claims that having the flu shot every year over the years when I was working did not hlpe me at all.

Who has the flu shot and why - and who doesn't and why????? (Note: here in Aust. we are just going into winter and this is when we have flu shots)

All replies appreciated.

2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

No thanks. I've got enough mercury and formaldehyde in me already.
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I think the flu shot is a big gimic. I have been told of some pretty bad chemicals in that stuff. Half the people I know get the flu from the shot anyway.... HELLO???

Kriket
  4. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

I have had the flu shot for the last 2 winters and have not got the flu, and the reason for having the shot is half the time I am sore so are not wanting that on top and also I have type2 diabeties.
    Take care.
  5. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

I put off getting the flu shot till like the end of the season. I Guess I am going to get sick anyway so no point in having a shot if I am just going to get anyway.

It just depends on your immuine system. I might get it eariler in the season next time, if Its pushed on me. but on my own I wont.

either way I don't like em, I could take it or leave it.
  6. skikat

skikat New Member

i have had a bad case of FM for many years. i have my flu shot every year and have no problems whatsoever. i have not had but one cold in that many years.
  7. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

I have been taking the flu shot for about 6 years. Doc always tells me I should have it coz I always get sick due to weak immune system. Guess what, I still get equally sick on it. I think the flu shot is not meant to protect us from the everyday colds and flus but rather some kind of influenza. I was getting the flu shot before I ever had FM and before I ever new they contain mercury. I have stopeed having the flu shot a couple years ago. I WILL NEVER take it again. I don't see the need for it. Why put more mercury in our bodies. I say no to flu shots.
  8. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I have the flu-shot every year and have not had the flu since I started taking the shots.

God Bless,
    Bob
  9. im saying yes,to having the flu injection each year.i have it,and up until last year,i had no side effects from it.after having last years injection,i did go onto develope a case of the flu,but its possible that the reason i got that bout of flu ,was due to the fact that i was ill with some sort of virus a couple of weeks before i even had the flu shot done.

ive had a very bad bout of the flu this year,about three or four weeks ago,but i managed to get through it without having to go to the doctor for help (anti biotics)so i was well happy that my body was able to fight it off itself.

having the flu injection keeps me out of the hospital.ive been having the injection for the last four years or more, because i suffer from asthma

kind regards
    fran

ps
    im just thinking that ive been having the flu jab yearly, for nearly 10 years, wow how time flys by.[This Message was Edited on 04/22/2007]
  10. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I have flu shots for many, many years and only once out of that time have I gotten the flu. I can't imagine having the flu in the middle of winter on top of my fibro. P
  11. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I've never had the flu shot before and last year I was sick for over 6 weeks with flu and complications.
    I got the shot for the first time this year and while alot of people I know got the flu very badly, I did not.
    Usually I get sick from my grandchildren every year.

So, it's a flu shot for me again next year.
  12. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

I say no. Also, Dr. Charles Lapp, one of the leading CFS docs, recommends against it. Basically, it's my theory that there is something wrong with my immune system. No one is quite sure what, but something is amiss. So it is hard to predict how it will react to the shot. Say it's an immune system over-activation. I don't want something that is going to reactivate it further. Suppose it is under-active. I have read somewhere (sorry, can't think where right now) that the damaged immune system doesn't produce the proper antibodies to the shot anyway, thereby making it ineffective.

Remember, everyone's body is different and responds differently. These are just my thoughts.

Kimberly
  13. jole

jole Member

Have the decision taken out of my hands though. I'm allergic to eggs. lol:)
  14. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Jamin,
    This has alway's been a no for me. with our screwed up immunesystems..I have alway's been worried of many more problems brought on because of taking the flu shot. I have Hosimotos thyroiditis and at one time was allergic to eggs. Anyone who has this known allergy should not get the flu shot as there is egg somehow involved in the vaccine.

Best wishes~ Giggle
  15. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Both my husband I got the (*&^% thing in Nove 2006.
    We have been so sick its not funny. I was just sick with the flu for 2 1/2 weeks. In bed 2 1/2 weeks.

Never, ever will I get it again. My immune system is crappy enough with out more junky meds in me.

good luck
  16. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,
    Can you tell me where you found the information that flu shots have alot of bad chemicals in them? I would like to learn what the chemicals are...

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
  17. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Relapsed on a flu shot. It also contains thermisol (mercury.) The shot will delay your recovery.

CherylSue

18. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

I usually respond badly to anything of this nature. Might be good to review how your body has reacted to similar things in the past and use that as a yardstick. I remember getting very sick with childhood vaccinations and often wonder what role they may have played in my health.

After my first pretty complete checkup by an alternative minded MD, and finding no "significant" abnormal results, he recommended I get a tetanus shot. (He couldn't think of anything else to offer I guess).

He didn't seem to be happy that I respectfully declined. Found out later in my research that people with compromised immune systems can react very badly to tetanus shots.

I consider these things an unacceptable risk and choose to avoid them.

Regards, Wayne

P.S. I remember an aunt getting very sick from one of these flu shots.[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  19. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Thank you for all the replies.

I think - not sure yet - but I think I might get a packet of tamiflu from the doc and keep it in the cupboard and if I think the 'flu is on its way, I'll start that as well as increased olive leaf extract, garlic vit c etc. Perhaps..
  20. momblue

momblue New Member

I have been getting a flu shot every year for 4 years now. No, I haven't been terribly sick with the flu. I have had bad fibro days, but not flu like sickness.