flu jab hell...........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sybil, Oct 13, 2002.

1. sybil

sybil New Member

i had one last thursday and i have been in a major flare since.
    the pain has been horrific,i can barely walk.
    the arm where i had the injection throbbed constantly,i couldn't lie on it at all.
    i have asthma and i have never experienced this sort of side effect before and i have had flu vaccines for 10 years now.but it must be due to FMS,i only started with that this year,

sybilxxx
  2. sybil

sybil New Member

i had one last thursday and i have been in a major flare since.
    the pain has been horrific,i can barely walk.
    the arm where i had the injection throbbed constantly,i couldn't lie on it at all.
    i have asthma and i have never experienced this sort of side effect before and i have had flu vaccines for 10 years now.but it must be due to FMS,i only started with that this year,

sybilxxx
  3. SleepyWillow25

SleepyWillow25 New Member

I really am feeling for you!!! Every year I dread the flu vac. as I always end up in hospital with the flu. I know doctors say you can't get it but every year a week later I am so ill I get rushed off to hospital. My doc who treats only CFS patients says cos of the CFS and our immune system that is why many of us get ill or have a reaction to the flu shot.

Having said that my doc insists with my case that it is better to have the flu shot and get a reaction then get the real thing.

This past winter was the first time I did not get ill from the flu injection. My CFS doctor put me on this pill (he gives it to me when I am in a down patch also, its very strong and after one tablet i have to start decreasing it over three days as you can't just go off it). Last year he had ten CFS ppl in hospital from flu shot htis year he had one. Big improvement.

I forget the name of the drug but if your interested I will e-mail my doctor for me and get him to describe the does etc.

All the very best, hope you improve and that during winter your protected from all the horriable germs!!!

Love Belle

4. little

little Member

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the flu shot. I had a TETNIS (NOT SURE ABOUT THE SPELLING) Last year and I was sick for three weeks. My arm was very painful.My whole body felt like I had the flu. My arm was red, swollen, hard and my arm was very painful to use. It lasted for a month. The red spot lasted for three months. I'm not going to have anymore shots. Not even the smallpox or flu shot. The nurse gave me a paper to read about the side effects.While I was reading it she said, well, are you going to have it or not. I told her that I was taking so long to read the list because I didn't have my glasses.I don't know why the medical people have to be so mean. What did we ever do to them to be treated this way? TAKE CARE GAIL
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I never get flu shots. With FMS reactions can be unpredictible. I hope you are feeling better.

Love, Mikie
  6. sybil

sybil New Member

if you have a condition that makes flu potentially life threatening,it is a difficult decision to make,to have,or not to have the immunisation.
    i actually asked my practise nurse would it affect my FM,she said,'oh no,you'll be fine'!!!

she obviously didn't know what she was talking about!
    from what everyone has said,it most certainly does have a detrimental effect on us.
    i feel so fed up,last week i was feeling a bit better,i even thought about returning to work and now i've plunged back into hell again.
    when you all had flu vaccines,how long was it before you recovered??

sybilxxx