Flu Shot Anybody??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Nov 3, 2010.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am really confused as to whether or not I should get a flu shot this year. I have never gotten one before, and had leaned against it because of the high mineral content in the shot and I read about a possible link to Alzheimers.

But now I have heard that there is an additional benefit to the flu shot--that it can reduce a person's risk for heart attack or stroke by as much as 50%!! Since I do have some heart disease in my family, I am now giving the shot serious consideration.

Please weigh in and let me know if you receive the shot or not, and why yo do or do not. It would be informative for all of us here who are on the fence regarding the flu shot.

2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have never had a flu shot, and I don't intend to get one this year either. When I think back to last year and all of the fear talk about the flu coming/flu epidemic and people freaking out to get their shots, and basically NOTHING happened, all I can think is this was a ploy to make someone serious money....

I have never had the flu, and I haven't even had a cold in years. I take plenty of Vitamin D3 and other vitamins. I eat basically fruits and vegetables, no meat, no sugar, and very limited starches. I keep active a few hours everyday, and maintain a healthy weight....
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I get the flu shot every year, last year I got the flu shot and also got the H1N1 shot, and I already got my flu shot this year. I used to get the flu before I started getting the flu shots and now that I have been getting them, I never get any side effects and I have lupus and other ailments.

Last year in Mexico, there were areas that had outbreaks of H1N1 and tourists canceled their travel to those areas. In fact, people from the affected areas of Mexico that traveled to other areas of Mexico were being chased away to avoid spreading. I believe it was CNN that featured on TV Dr. Sanjay Gupta in Mexico reporting on H1N1 in Mexico, discussing H1N1 in detail, the people wearing medical masks, and I watched him talk about it on TV. This was very important to me living in Arizona. It was too easy to bring it across the border, and people fly in here from all over the world, arrive here from all over the U.S., and hospitals here did have cases of it.

Last year, some hospitals in other areas of the U.S. were getting overloaded with cases of H1N1. We had trouble getting the vaccine here and when it arrived and was open to us, the lines were long here to get the H1N1 shot.

I believe it is the choice of everyone whether to get the shot or not. The Shingles shot through my medical carrier has an age limit at which they start giving it. When I reach that age, I will get that shot also.
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

My husband and I just visited Sedona Az and surrounding areas. LOVED Arizona. May I ask if you live near there?

5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Actually, Sedona and the red rocks are beautiful, but I don't live near there. Flagstaff is also nice.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I've been getting one since a few years after this DD as my current doctor recommends it, especially because of the Fibro. When I was teaching I would get it every year, for my sake and the students. Mostly, mine. :>)

One of my pet peeves was parents sending their kids to school when sick and contagious because the child did not want to miss school. Same with coworkers who would brag that even though sick, they made it to work.

I came down with a horrible virus several weeks ago and had not been that sick since I was a teenager and on top of this, it was awful.

7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

After thoughtful consideration, I have decided to take a pass on the flu shot. I will speak with my pulmonologist on Thursday, and see how he weighs in on it, but I will probably still pass even if he advises the shot. I am under evaluation for asthma, have been using Symbicort inhaler twice a day for about a month, and it has made a world of difference. I actually ran on the treadmill at the gym today and my energy level is excellent. I have a feeling asthma has been lurking in the background for a long time for me, and may have been at the core of some of my problems. We'll see....

I just want to say thank you to all of you that posted a response for this. My decision to opt out of the shot is essentially based on my belief that there are minerals in the vaccine, and being that I have so many allergies to begin with, I just do not want to take the chance.

Thanks again--

8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I would refer you to the following:

It goes into more detail than I possibly can, but one of the key ingredients is mercury. The list of flu shot ingredients also include aluminium, phenol, ethylene glycol, formadelhyde, etc.

It really is a bit scary after you read this.

P.S I know I referred to these ingredients as minerals, which I believe they are--or elements ,maybe? I am having a bit of a blank when it comes to my high school chemistry. But I'm still leaning toward minerals!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2010]
  9. teacher

teacher New Member

When did this happen?

Where did it happen?

Have the found the one who did it?

It's just not SAFE these days!
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

everyone is so different it is hard to say. I would say that for me it has helped alot. If I do get something it is much less than I used to get. Don;t get the flu or crud as often either. I still take the GE and all but it has been less than other times, esp without the shot. I used to get the crud bad almost every year.

yes, I did get the flu shot this year. So far so good.

Hugs to you
  11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Because of the Symbicort, I was afraid to take anything so I stopped taking supplements. However, I am seeing pulmonologist Thursday and I will ask him if it's okay to take supplements. I hope he says yes!!

12. jole

jole Member

I absolutely cannot get the shot because I'm allergic to eggs. My mother had a lot of allergies, but not a specific egg allergy per se. The only way her doc (on the advice of her allergist) would give her the shot was in two half-shots a month apart.

He also voiced his concern that it was not proven to be effective given this way, but not safe to be given whole strength. I've not found any info about the accuracy of giving it like this. But would certainly advise caution to people with allergies. ....Jole
  13. spacee

spacee Member

FYI, Dr. Cheney in his practice has had patient have severe flares that last weeks or months
    from the vaccines. He says "there is no good answer". But he has his patients take
    2,000 mg of Vit D. to help prevent an infection.

I know ppl here take even more than that. When I decided (stupidly) to not take my
    Vit D with my on a plane trip, I got a bad sore throat and a fever for 5 days. I haven't been on a plane since but where I go, the Vit D goes too,

I don't get the shot.

Oh, one last thought. My twin when she was working in a hospital lab, the year she got the
    flu shot....she still got the flu. The year she took Transfer Factor Essentials (sold here)
    she didn't get the shot, and didn't get the flu though co-workers did. And she touched
    the machines, they touched.

Just my 2 cents.

14. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am awfully sorry this post took such an odd turn. Hope it did not cause you too much aggravation.

My final thought on the flu shot; two days ago I saw a news profile that medical researchers are finding an even tighter link between mercury and Alzheimer's--more than was originally thought. My MIL and my best friend's mother, once vibrant women, are both in the end stages of that awful disease. They did not know each other, but the common thread that they shared is that they both RAN for flu shots each and every year. I ran into MIL's sister the other day, 84 years old and as sharp as a tack, and asked her if she had ever had the flu shot. She emphatically replied, "No and I never will." MIL'S other siblings with the Alzheimer's all had annual flu shots for years, she said!! That's enough for me....

[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2010]