Flu shot - to have or to have not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by peachbunnee, Oct 31, 2005.

1. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

Hi!

I'm new here... wondering if anyone has heard what to do in regards to flu shots?

I am not sure if I should have one or not.
    I'm concerned it may somehow make things worse for me than they already are.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks! Glad I found this board! :)

peachbunnee
  2. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I don't know what's currrently going on in regards to the
    flu shots but I got a flu shot about 4 yrs ago and boy did I regret it. I ended up with a pain soooooooooo bad that my Dr. had to give me a cortizone shot. I was 48 at the time

and thought because our immune systems are somewhat weakened
    it might not be a bad idea. My dr.told me that I was too young to need one. Remember that the shot goes right into
    the muscle.

PIRT
  3. huckee

huckee New Member

I'm 42 and have gotten them in the past. He said because my symptoms are more active now that it wouldn't be a good idea in "my case". He said when you get the flu shot your body then goes into over active work trying to get prepared for the flu which then takes away from your immune system doing what it needs to do for all the rest of your junk going on. Can you tell that, that wasn't quite an exact quote! Anyway, I'm not going to get one. You should just ask your doctor what he/she thinks if you can. That's my two cents for what it's worth.
    Huckee
  4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I know that the flu shot I got last year definitely was a contributing factor to my becoming worse. It isn't the flu shot itself, but the compound that it is put into which is called Thermosol (I think), which contains mercury. It is well documented that is what is what can make you much worse - intolerance for different meds and substances. I wouldn't ever get it again, and it isn't up to your Dr. to demand that you get it either. Sounds like he might be fairly uninformed, like most. Marie
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, WELCOME TO OUR BOARD/SUPPORT GROUP!!! And ... I love your name, peachbunnee!!!!

I just had my flu shot last Friday morning. I have experienced NO problems by having one!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I am not getting a flu shot this year. I have had very bad reactions to the flu shot in the past. Gotten much sicker than if I'd had the flu! Just plan to wash my hands alot!

You might want to do a search on a past post titled:

FLU SHOTS?
    started by lkiger70 on 10/16/05.

There were quite a few posts in answer to this question.

Katy
  7. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

My trigger for Fibro was 7 cases of pneumonia all in one year. I can't afford to be that sick again.

Since then got the pneumonia 5 year shot and the flu shot every year. Never had a reaction.
  8. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I had my first ever flu shot last week and I haven't had any bad reaction. My arm was a bit sore the next day but that was it. I can't afford to get sick with the flu and then try to recover for weeks or even months, so I figured I might as well give it a shot (no pun intended) and I'm glad I did because I haven't had any negative reaction.

But even otherwise health people can have bad reactions to the flu shot, so it just depends.