FLU SHOT WARNING AT RISK FOR SERIOUS NERVE DISORDER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Nov 15, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

Flu Vaccines Linked to Higher Nerve-Disorder Risk, Study Says

By John Lauerman

Nov. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Vaccines against influenza that the U.S. government is pushing to cut annual deaths and prepare for a possible pandemic may be linked to slightly higher rates of a paralyzing nerve disorder, a study found.

Patients with the disorder, called Guillain-Barre syndrome, were more likely to have been diagnosed in the seven weeks after vaccination than in a comparison period four to six months later, Canadian researchers said in today's issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.

The results of the study are consistent with earlier research on flu vaccine, and won't change federal recommendations, said Jeanne Santoli, a vaccination expert with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in a teleconference today. Federal officials are encouraging the production and use of flu shots to cut an estimated 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year from influenza.

``The risk is real. You don't want to have this blindside you,' said Canadian researcher David Juurlink, who led the study, in a telephone interview, ``But the benefits of vaccination are really substantial.'

Sanofi-Aventis SA, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, Novartis AG and MedImmune Inc. make flu vaccine for the U.S. market, based on strains that public-health officials identify each year as the most common currently circulating. The CDC has expanded its guidelines for flu vaccine in recent years, and the agency now recommends immunization for almost two-thirds of Americans.

While the risk of Guillain-Barre is so small that rates of the disease didn't increase when a vaccination program began in Ontario, patients should be informed, Juurlink said.

Ontario Program

Increasing flu vaccine use will also help the U.S. prepare for mass immunizations in the event of a worldwide outbreak of lethal flu, which government health officials have said is inevitable.

Ontario began a universal flu vaccination program in 2000 after a severe outbreak the previous year overloaded hospitals with patients. The program also presented flu experts with a way to examine suspected complications of the vaccine, such as Guillain-Barre.

Concerns about the mysterious, paralyzing disorder, which is usually temporary, arose in 1976 during an outbreak of the so- called swine flu that U.S. health officials warned might cause a pandemic. While the pandemic never materialized, the link raised long-standing fears about the safety of flu vaccine.

A 1998 study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that flu vaccination raised the risk of Guillain-Barre 70 percent. However, a 2003 review of other studies by the U.S. Institute of Medicine, the agency that creates volunteer expert panels to advise the government on health issues, found no association between Guillian-Barre and seasonal flu vaccination.

Timing

Juurlink, a researcher at Canada's Institute of Clinical Evaluative Sciences in Toronto, and his team found 269 patients diagnosed from April 1992 through March 2004 who developed the nerve disease within a six-month period after vaccination. Patients were 45 percent more likely to develop the disease in the first two months after vaccination than in the fifth and sixth months, the researchers said.

Ontario also had begun a large immunization program against pneumococcal disease, a bacterial infection, that may have been responsible for some complications, said David Fedson, a former vaccine developer and University of Virginia professor of medicine, in an e-mailed response to questions.

``The association is there,' with flu vaccine, Fedson said, ``but the increase in risk is very small.'

Benefits, Risks

Young children and people who are at least 65 years old are at highest risk of complications from flu vaccination. More studies in these age groups, along with teens and young adults, are needed to show the benefits of vaccination against potential risks, he said.

``Only in this way can people balance the benefit and risks of vaccination,' he said.

Juurlink said he would continue to recommend vaccination for his patients and family.

``It's a no-brainer,' he said. ``Literally tens of thousands of Americans don't get hospitalized or die each year because they've had flu vaccine, and to me it's worth the trade- off.'

2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

I was going to get a flu shot this year (I volunteer at a hospital & the shot is free to employees & volunteers). I was discussing the flu shot with a hospital employee who told me that her arms became paralized after receiving a flu shot about 10 years ago! Another woman in her medical office at the time also developed Guillain-Barre symptoms all over her entire body after receiving the flu shot! My friend's arms recovered after about 3 weeks. The other woman's paralysis lasted months. Yikes!

That really freaked me out...I never thought about risks from the flu shot before. I'm opting out this year. I'd rather get sick with a flu than become paralized.

(Obviously, this is a personal decision & I am not saying that everyone should avoid the shot.)

Hugs,
    Annie
  5. wen

wen New Member

my arm immidatly swelled up and felt like a major hea dache consumed me right after. i started to get a temperperature. i had flu symtoms more than usual the every day ones. on the second day my under arm lymph nodes had swelled up i couldnt even put my arm down i was sick . for 2 wks. i was told to get it because my care giver told me should because she was also. never again. wen
  6. wen

wen New Member

my arm immidatly swelled up and felt like a major hea dache consumed me right after. i started to get a temperperature. i had flu symtoms more than usual the every day ones. on the second day my under arm lymph nodes had swelled up i couldnt even put my arm down i was sick . for 2 wks. i was told to get it because my care giver told me should because she was also. never again. wen
  7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thanks for posting this Darude...
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had horrible reactions to them and my doc told me that for people like that, it's better to take the risk of getting the flu.

BTW, I had a client with GB and he almost died because his respiratory system was paralyzed. He was in the hospital for months on a breathing machine. He was still in a wheelchair when I saw him at home and he was in physical therapy to try to walk again. Yikes!

Love, Mikie
  9. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

Hence another reason just WHY I WILL NOT EVER AGREE TO A FLU VACCINE!

I already know alot of the bad things the flu vaccine can cause...its also hyped up just because drug companies along with the givernment get alot of money for the vaccinations they give every yr...what you think is free is actually coming out of tax payers money therefor it is NOT free.

ANYWAY...I did post the ingrediants in vaccinations a while back...it was real scary stuff...and yes only one shot wont hurt...but yrs and yrs and yrs of vaccinations including the yearly flu vaccination builds up dangerous toxins and poisons that cause diease, organ failure and cancer.

I dont care how sick I ever get where a Doc says Im "high risk"...I will NEVER EVER agree to the flu shot EVER!!!
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

The last vaccine I had was Tetanus vaccine in 1970ish. I got SO SICK, I literally thought I might die. I have never had a flu vaccine and I NEVER will. Not ANY vaccine. My husband had not had a vaccine in probably 30+ years. My kids no longer will take vaccines.
  11. darude

darude New Member

WAKE: In recent weeks we have had Cantalope recalled for SAlmonella, Hersheys chocolates, ham and now all bagged salads.