FLU SHOTS - Anyone with the flu vaccine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hidlyn, Sep 20, 2005.

1. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

The last 2 years I've taken the FluMist vaccine (through the nose) because the shots weren't available. I wasn't aware until I had a terrible reaction the second year that immune compromised people shouldn't take it. Did anyone else have terrible reactions to it? What about the shot? Just wondering since that season is coming up. I was sick for 10 weeks with a severe flare of both CFS and FM.

Thanks.
    Heidi
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I would never have a flu shot again. I have CFS, and I am absolutely certain that the flu shot I had last November made me worse. People with CFS often have hypersensitivities to various medications and chemicals. I won't be getting it this year I can assure you. Don't do it, just stay away from crowds, etc. Take care. Marie
  3. pmj952

pmj952 New Member

Hi Heidi!
    I'm one of the FMer's here and I always have done the shot. The flu mist is a live virus while the vaccination is dead...I think that must have been why you got so sick. You actually got the flu!!

Anyhoo, I've had some "flaring" after the shot but nothing as bad as getting the flu so that's my recommendation.

No matter what you do, wash those hands and stay away from crowds as much as possible!
    Deb J.
  4. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Primarily because I have asthma and I'm 54 years old.

abbylee
  5. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

It's just the last2-3yrs that I have started getting the Flu shot, my Dr is a nut about this chases me down calls me at home :)) she's a great Dr.

Before that it had been at least 20yrs before I had one & that was when the virus was live, so these last 2 or 3 I've had all I've gotten out of them was a sore arm overnight and a little temp, that is soooooooo much better than the flu, which I use to get every time I got the old flu shot.

I think that mist up your nose your not suppose to have past 49yrs old, now how did they come up with that number??

gail
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but 2 winters ago I had it and it brought on a very bad and long relapse that lasted around 6 months. I have CFS and Fibro too.

I vowed never to have a flu jag again.

I will however have vaccine against bird flu if it comes around.

Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2005]
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've had an annual flu shot for the past 15 years; my symptoms started with flu like illness & I don't want to catch flu & make them even worse. The shots make me feel a bit rough for a few days.

My nurse always gives me the injection in my thigh as my arm muscles are badly affected by FMS.
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

My CFS/FM doctor recomends that I not get the flu shot. She says that some of her patients have been worse for over a month after the shot.
    In addition, the vaccine contains thimerosol which has mercury in it. I have high mercury levels so the vaccine is a no no for me.
    Kathy.
  9. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I had a bad bad bad reaction a few years ago and NEVER AGAIN will I take it! I was told it might have something to do with the preservatives in it. I have CFS and FM and it's not easy to keep my immune system in good shape but will work hard at it, stay away from crowds, and hope for the best.
  10. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

Thank you!1
  11. kbak

kbak Member

Way to dangerous for anyone with an immune disorder. Get olive leaf and P73 oregacyn. Last yr. I was able to keep from getting very ill, because I was taking those. Anytime I felt like I'd caught something, I hit those 2 things. With any oregano product you need to take a probiotic. If your not familiar with these products do a search on them, and read.

I will herx from olive leaf, but I tolerate that to kill the flu. I only take olive leaf when I feel like I'm getting sick. I haven't had any problems with oregacyn.
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

I think they will start giving the flu shots here around the end of October.

I ALWAYS get a flu shot! I have too many serious illnesses not to! All of my docs advise me to get one.

I have never had any adverse reaction to getting one.

My husband is the Administrator of our local county health department. He gets tons of info regarding public health and the flu shots. He says it is definitely in my best intrests to get one--and my own hubby would not mis-guide me!!

Just make sure you don't have any allergies to the stuff they warn you about for the shot.

The flu shot has ALWAYS affected each person differently. You have to go on how you respond to it.

Take care,
    Janet
  13. Vada

Vada New Member

Ever since I had such a bad bout of flu that it actually infected the walls of my heart and I was in terrible pain I have gotten the flue shot. I am also in the high risk due to asthma. I have never in the last 4 years had any type of reaction exzcept for a sore arm and I haven't gotten thew flu either.

I am 50 and 2 years ago I also recieved the pneumonia vaccine which didn't give me any problems. Good luck. Take the shot or the mist. Lavada
  14. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I haven't had a flu shot for 6 years or more. I used to get the flu all the time. Several times I got it in the summer and was terribly ill, so the shot surely didn't help having the flu in July!

I haven't had the flu in years and 2 years ago was in the ER with my husband right in the thick of that bad outbreak of the flu. I was very careful with washing my hands, etc. Never got the flu either. Husband had a bad case of food poisoning, but they thought it was diverticulitis. He hasn't had a problem since.

Anyway, sorry this is long, but I just don't get the shot anymore. Have gotten it before and been sick within 2 weeks. I feel my immune system is better of without it. Definitely wouldn't take the nasal spray...

Hugs,
    Faye