Flu Shots for Us?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DrNicolson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

Flu Shots for Us?

What is your advice regarding flu shots for people with CFIDS & FM – any criteria?

This has to be evaluated carefully by your physician to make sure that it won’t make your condition worse by temporarily altering your immune system. And then there is the slight but real chance that the vaccine could be contaminated. Interestingly, a published study of commercial vaccines in the journal VACCINE found that about 6% were contaminated with bacteria, such as Mycoplasma species.

2. simpsons

simpsons Member

i became very ill after vaccines and will never take them again

i take echinacea if i come down with cold or flu although that rarely happens now i take echinacea. whereas in the past i came down with them all the time

i tried grapeseed and it made me very ill. i found it acidic in my system
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have gotten them in the past, but they weren't always ultimately effective since they don't cover all strains of flu.

Last year my doc advised me NOT to get anymore flu shots, due to all of the possible negative effects. I also don't go out much and try and stay out of the germ world:) Didn't catch the flu either w/o a shot.
  4. hi all,

im one of those people who has the flu shot every year.ive been having it once a year, for over 10 years now.

only one of them made my body crash,this was about two years ago,and i became bedbound for roughly 3 days.my body just wouldnt let me walk.

i told my doctor about my crash,and he said it was a sign that if i hadnt had the flu jab,and i,d caught the flu,i might have been seriously ill.

im due to have this years flu jab in about two weeks time.i havent been put off having the jab,as i believe i would be very ill, if i go on to get the flu,having not had the jab.

i do have asthma,and two years ago i became hypersensitive to things that cause hayfever.

before i went on antihystamines, i was losing too much fluid from my eyes and nose,plus my lungs felt like they were full of fluid all the time.

so i began to lose massive amounts of weight,and became very weak in myself,i thought i would lose my job.

the antihystamines have sorted out that problem thank goodness,and ive managed to gain my weight back.and in having my weight back,im getting fewer virus type things, that people are getting at work just now.

im sticking to having my flu jab again this year,because i have too many things to cope with already, with the fibromyalgia,CFS,asthma and IBS.

i have psoriasis too,and migraines.so as you can see,i dont need any more things to have to deal with,and still work part time.

so im having the flu jab,and hoping to not suffer from severe breathing problems, when i do catch this years flu virus.

take care,love fran.
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Back when flu shots were mainly available from a physician, my doctor felt they were urgently important!

But when the vaccine became available at drug stores, etc. he hasn't said a word about my needing it.

My own conclusion: it was important while he was making money at it, but now he brushes it off and it isn't discussed .
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I get my flu shot this week. I am doing this on the advice of my PCP because she thinks I am immune compromised.

7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

It would be interesting to hear how you were ultimately effected by them: If you had an adverse reaction, if you eventually caught the flu anyway, and/or if you remained well. Maybe later on during the dreaded flu season, someone can start up a "Flu Shot Results" thread......... We can do our own small group "study". :)
  8. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Gap, be careful. This is why it's dangerous for us to take a flu shot, because we ARE immune compromised. Flu shots are for healthy people. That's the irony.

My job required that I get flu shots and I took them for several years. 2 1/2 weeks after taking the first flu shot I got bronchitis. I had never had bronchitis in my life. 6 months later I got a really bad case of bronchitis. Every year I took the flu shot and the year after I got bronchitis. I also got some really BAD cases of the flu. That stopped also after I stopped taking the shot. I also had flu-like symptoms every few months. This is all before I got CFS.

I also had some other problems which may or may not have been as a result of the flu shots and/or a amalgam I had out. I also think the flu shots contributed toward my getting CFS.

I also would like to hear experiences of those who take them. Doctors are supposed to report adverse reactions but many people don't connect their problems with the shots. I didn't. It was only after a nurse asked on a health forum if anyone had gotten bronchitis from a flu shot that I connected my cases of bronchitis to the flu shots. His mother had gotten bronchitis after a flu shot and he had noticed other patients at his hospital had as well.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I was reading another thread about the flu and I realized that I haven't had the flu since I was a kid and that was a lot of years ago :) I've probably only ever had the flu two or three times at most. I don't think a lot of people actually know the true definition of "influenza" and call food poisoning and any viral bug the flu.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

My aunt woke up one morning feeling fine, by lunch time she was running a fever and had the full blown flu, and by that evening she was dead. She was one of five people that died that day in her care home alone. The flu does kill people, especially seniors.

Even though I won't be a senior for many more years to come, I will be getting my flu shot this year and every year as I have been doing for the past five or six years. A recent study showed that people who get the flu shot every year, long term, tend to be less sick as they age.
  11. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

u&irok, I had the same reaction to gapsych's post. My pediatrician has been very careful about all vaccines because my children have weak immune systems. I always get their titers tested before boosters are due. Turns out they haven't needed all the shots "on the list" because they were immune already.

In the event shots are needed, I try to space them out. The measles shot used to be available by itself. Not so anymore. If you don't have immunity to measles, you have to get the MMR. The same applies with DTP. If you have immunity to tetanus and diptheria but not pertussis, you still have to get the triple whammy.

The only year I got pneumonia was the year I didn't get the flu shot. I believe vaccines save lives, but I also believe they generally are given too close together and that some ought not be given at all.
  12. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

The swine flu thing really shows you what the vaccine makers think of our intelligence. They tried to scare everyone into getting the vaccine, even changing the definition of 'pandemic' but most people didn't buy it (literally or figuratively). Swine flu was just a strain of the flu and it was, I think, 3 or 4 years ago that we actually had a bad strain of flu going around but no one knew.

You can get really sick with the flu so it can be scary. Dr. Douglass has some good points but he's so annoyingly opinionated and not always right. I cancelled my newsletter when he was going on and on about FAT kids and how FAT they were because they are such pigs eating and eating. That's NOT the only reason kids are overweight, it's also the weird junk the Big Food companies pay their chemists to create in the food and the hormones in the milk and meat, and it's a culture that the kids are the victims of, and that was enormously insensitive of him, a doctor.

Aaaannnywaay, it's true what he says that not that many people die of the flu but some do die of pneumonia. They say, well, that's not the flu they're dying of but it was the flu that caused them to get pneumonia so I say it is a flu-relted death. But these people were a small number and therefore expendable until the flu vaccine became such a money-maker.

Vaccines are such an issue. What to do? No one wants a measles epidemic, that's such a horrible disease that killed. Space out your kids' vaccines definitely. Interesting that some are not needed because kids inherit the antibodies.

If you have autism or CFS/FM/Autoimmune disorders in your family and you were allowed not to take the shots because you were in a high-risk group others would freak out because of herd immunity. There would be chaos. It WOULD be a mess. So put out the propaganda that it's not vaccines causing these problems and it's certainly not mercury, puleese, eye roll (we NEED mercury as a preservative, wink), even though the masses who swallow the propaganda somehow forget that the tiniest bit of mercury is extremely dangerous. Oh the power of propaganda-not ME, they say I wouldn't swallow propaganda, I'm too smart for that, the powers of be have my best interest at heart, they wouldn't lie to us...therefore they don't know they're a victim of it.

When you're a minority you just have to go along with the majority. It's so hard to watch my workmates, some of who have had flu shots every year for 20 years, who smoke and eat badly and spray chemicals all over themselves and do nothing for their health, walk around with good health. (Though who knows what lies down the road for them.)

I just wish that vaccines weren't such big money-makers and they could work on something else. Money rules.
  13. Spacey

Spacey Member

I get them every year. Last year I had the seasonal flu shot and H1N1. No problems. I would be in worse shape if I had to deal with a really bad flu> Thanks
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If I remember correctly, there were several board members who did get the flu last year and it sounded just awful.

There were three deaths in my town, one infant and two students. I have no idea how many elderly people as the other three were in the paper because of the ages.

You said what my doctor said. I don't need the flu on top of the FM with a compromised immune system.

As for me, I will take my chances, especially since I now have grandchildren. I used to get them when I was teaching not only for me but also for the students sake. Then I stopped for several years when I got sick and mainly housebound but started again for the grandkids.

I have never had a bad reaction though my dad did in 1960. It could be that it was not from the shot and if he had not been given the shot, he probably would have been worse off. Just don't know.

I have done a lot of research and I just do not see anything that leads me to think this is a conspiracy.

BTW, I don't know that much about Dr. Nicolsen, however he is not a medical doctor. I am not dissing anyone having a PhD, just that his perspective may be a bit different because of this.

It's a personal choice and you have to way the risks with the benefits.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2010]
  15. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I do agree with jaminheath this , I have no desire for a flu shot of any kind!they can be very dangerous and are, I mean look whos putting all this together.... our government pushing the healthcare , shots and whatever else they can down our necks andI flately dont trust them for myself, my precious grandchildren amd otheres in my family.we wont be getting them ! I feel like eating right, maybe some extra vitamin may be ok not in huge doses and certainlyI personally pray the blood of Jesus over all my family each for Gods protection from sickness and dieases.In my opinion thats best thing we can for one another. Bless each of you!!!!
  16. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I got my flu shot yesterday. I've been getting them yearly ever since my employer started offering them to the employees. That was 12 years ago.

Now that I'm retired, I go to my doctor for the shot. This year it was offered free of charge by our local hospice to its volunteers.

I've never had a bad reaction and never have gotten the flu, only bad colds which sometimes turn into bronchitis.
  17. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I get mine every year. I haven't had the flu in 10 years except for the year that I forgot to get my shot and haven't forgotten it since. I agree with DrNicolson that it is something that has to be evaluated on a person by person basis. (if I posted this in the wrong place please forgive me as I am back after being away from the board for several years and am not totally up to date as to how this new format works)
  18. hi all,
    i had this years flu shot three days ago,and i can report that the only problem i have had, is a sore and tender arm,where the needle went in.and thats to be expected.

but its no problem.i know im now hopfully protected from becoming seriously ill,when the flu does come my way.

i dont have any other problems with it,no fever.

take care,love fran.