Flu Shots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 6t5frlane, Nov 1, 2005.

1. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Any thoughts on the Pro's or Cons of getting one.....
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

If you do a search there have been a lot of threads about flu shots over the past few days.

Some people have bad reactions to them, but I just got my first flu shot ever about a week ago and haven't had any bad reaction at all. I would rather get the shot than get the flu and spend weeks or months recovering.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

do not agree with me, last one I had caused a relapse that lasted for over 6 months.

Agrees with some people though.

love
    Rosie
  4. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

Get them every year and never have had a problem to date.
  5. 1horse

1horse New Member

got the flu shot. no problem. everyone is different. i would rather get the shot than flu
  6. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I received my flu shot yesterday.

I've never had the "flu" reaction to it, but my fibro flares for a few days aftewards.

I hate the flare, but I also have asthma and diabetis and can't afford to get the flu. Also when I've gotten it before it takes me weeks to get over it.

So I figure a few days of flare is worth it in the long run.

Twinkles :)
  7. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I won't get it because it has set me back quite drastically before. I'm actually afraid of it. Never again! Everyone's different. Marie
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

put in with the vaccine, maybe an allergy. Any allergy to eggs maybe. The flu mist is live virus so it could cause flu symptoms but the regular shots shouldn't..actually, can't.

I take it also because of the FM but also because of Asthma. My husband used to take it for my sake but now he has Diabetes2 so he needs it also.
    I also took the pneumonia shot last year and had no reaction to it either.

This nurse said to move your arm alot to avoid muscle soreness from the needle so we have and it really helped.
  9. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I used to have a flu shot every year before I got sick, with no reaction - except one year when I developed the real flu anyhow. When I got sick the doctor said that I shoud avoid the flu shots - that was 8 years ago: Used large doses of vitamins, olive leaf extract etc. No flu, thank god. Last year, because I was reasonably stable, he suggested that I have the flu shot again - it made me quite ill for about 2 weeks. So, this year I did not have the flu shot and guess what happened? Right. 5-6 weeks of almost bed-ridden and a course of Tamiflu to reduce severity. I figure we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I hope you make the decision that suits your body.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Like I've said on other posts regarding the flu shot, I get them every year and have never had one problem!

In fact, I just got mine for this year on last Friday!! And ... no problems!!
  11. insanelady

insanelady New Member

I have fibro and take the shots every year. There is no problems with it other then a slight fever for two days. My doctor says if you have an egg allergy don't take it. With some of the new flu's coming our way I would suggest taking it if you can because if you catch the flu it only spreads it at your work place and at home.

rosiline
  12. lalmasy

lalmasy New Member

I am an RN and get the flu shot every year, but since this has been the worst 6 months of my life I have decided not to get the shot (not currently working in hospital setting) my immune system is so messed up I don't to add fuel to the fire. My MD from FFC suggested that I get the FLU MIST instead of the injection.
  13. zoose

zoose New Member

The one and only flu shot I ever got was five years ago. I immediately had the first documentable episode of FM that is still haunting me. I do not have an egg allergy. Since they guess as to which flu will be popular in a given year and the shot may not protect against the particular strain that actually ends up going around I figure it isn't worth the risk for me to have one. Just my own opinion. I am not suggesting that anyone skip the shot. Just letting you know what I think in my case.

zoose
  14. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I get a flu shot every year - actually my Dr. makes me get one and I have never had a problem. As so many of the others have said I would rather have the shot than the flu. I would encourage anyone that could handle getting one to do so. If it can't hurt it might just help. The flu is getting so bad anymore that with my depleted immune system I just plain don't want to take a chance.

Patti
  15. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Am I being silly, or the flu shot being given this year (in the U.S.) supposed to be the one for avian bird flu? At least that's what I think dubbya was going on about.
  16. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

They don't have a flu shot for the bird flu. The bird flu virus hasn't made it to the US yet and hasn't mutated to a strain that can be trasmitted from person to person yet. But the government is stocking up on Tamiflu or whatever it is to try to treat the bird flu if it does ever break out over here in people.

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  17. magnoliabell

magnoliabell New Member

I had a flu shot Tues. and I am having one of my worst flare-ups ever. I did not know anyone else ever had a reaction. I think I also had one last year and I just did not connect the 2. I hope it does not last too long.