Flu Shots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cyndarella53, Dec 27, 2005.

1. cyndarella53

cyndarella53 New Member

Anyone suffering from CFS and Fibromyalgia taking the flu shot?
    I've had Open Heart Surgery and advised to take it.
    But I took it in 1976 and was very ill for two weeks passing out if I got out of bed and I never took it again. I was diagnosis with cfs and fibro in 1989

Cyndarella
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

There are many of us here who had flu shots this year, including me, and didn't have any adverse reaction.

However, since you had a bad reaction in the past, I probably wouldn't risk it. When I got mine, they even asked if I'd ever had a bad reaction to the shot before and if I had they wouldn't have given it to me.

Some people with fibro get a bad flare from the shot too. So, I think it just depends on the person and how their body reacts.
  3. cyndarella53

cyndarella53 New Member

Thanks I was leaning toward that but I needed a second opinion. May God Bless You today and the New Year coming.
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I was told years ago that if you have the above, you can't take them. But after having this horrible flue going on 11 days, I'm going to do some more research.

Scary trying to make this decision when you've had a bad reaction.

LIGHT*************carole
  5. cyndarella53

cyndarella53 New Member

Thiis is my first time on this message board. I like the suport out there. I will be running from the shot not rollin up no sleeve. I am going to keep on striving to survive. Thanks a Lot God Bless
  6. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the board!! Alot of friendship and answers here. If you get a minute, please fill out your profile so that we can get to know you better!!
  7. 1nixon4u

1nixon4u New Member

Cyndarella, I have FMS CFS IBS Neuropathy and more, my dr did recommend to me to take the flu shot this year and so I have for the first time I have been fine as far as shot is concerned. I would be as you though if I had of taken it and gotten ill from it but even though it has been many year since...medicine has come along way, This would be a hard call for me as well if I were in your shoes.Good luck to you.

8. libra55

libra55 New Member

I am 50 and never had one. I have FM and Crohn's. I am on immunosuppressants. My doctor suggested a flu shot. I was very nervous and skeptical. He explained the flu shots manufactured today are dead virus, not live virus like the old ones were, and they should not cause problems.

Whether or not to have the shot is a personal decision. I did have it; that was almost two weeks ago and I have had no complications whatsoever. My arm was very sore at the injection site for two days. Other than that I'm fine.

Michelle
  9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I've always had a flu shot with just the effect of minor fatigue. However, last year I had a significant relapse the next day, and my CFS worsened. Then, I seemed to catch every bug that blew my way. I was in bed for months. I was advised by a personal friend who is a physician that because my immune system was already compromised, I should not aggravate it with immunizations such as the flu shot.

This year I stayed away. I take my Sambucol and ProBoost. So far, God willing, I haven't come down with a cold, flu, etc. I'm dealing with the last 5-10% recovery of my battle with this current bout of CFS.

However, it is an individual decision.

Good luck.
  10. 1horse

1horse New Member

If you had a reaction to the flu shot, try 1/2 dose one week and 2-3 weeks later the other 1/2 dose. I use to give the shots and I would do that for people who reacted to it..if you are akllergic to eggs you shouldnt take it.
  11. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

If I'm not mistaken that is the same year (1976) that I got so sick from the flu shot - if not mistaken that was the year of the swine flu shot........

I had stopped taking it up until about 10yrs ago, and now I get it every year with no problems.......
    Like someone else mentioned, it is not a live culture in the vaccine, so if you have no allergy to chicken or eggs, you 'should' be fine.......

Wishing you the very best......
    Love, Donna
  12. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm going to give you a link that you can copy and paste in your web browser. The link is to the Centers for Disease Control page that has information and links to info regarding the flu vaccine.

I am a nurse and give flu shots every year as soon as our county get the supplies. As a matter-of-fact, tomorrow I'm doing a two-hour immunization flu clinic nearby where I live.

Not only do I give them, I get them every year. I also have FMS/CFS, and other autoimmune problems. I have been getting the shots for years because as a health care worker I need to so I won't get sick and give the flu to other people that I work with.

The flu vaccine is a "killed" virus and does not make a person ill. The immune response to the immunization may make a person feel uncomfortable for a day or two, kind of like when you start to come down with something. A real reaction to the vaccine comes in the form of an allergic reaction. That's why people who are allergic to eggs should not take the shot as the vaccine is cultured or made with eggs.

Anyone who has chronic debilitating illness should get the shot. The immune response will never be as bad as an actual case of the flu viruses that the shot protects against. I have never had a real problem . . other than a sore arm and maybe not feeling up to par for a day. I just move my arm a lot to get rid of the soreness.

I can't recommend that you take the shot as I don't know you. Your primary doctor knows you the best and if he/she recommended tha tyou get one, I sure would.

I hope that this helps you. Please go to the site that I'm placing here: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

Warm wishes, Jeannette