Fluctuating blood pressure??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Do any of you folks with ME/CFIDS have to deal with wildly fluctuating blood pressure?
    Mine can jump from 108/77 to 149/99 within a few hours--sometimes within an hour. Then back again to a lower pressure. I suspect it's caused by some meds I'm on, specifically glaucoma medication, but I thought I should rule out the old CFS stuff as well. Would appreciate a reply. Thanks. MsE
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

can elevate blood pressure.

Although i'm uncertain what is causing your fluctuating blood pressure.
    i would most definately bring this up to your doctor at your next appointment.

Be Well
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

this is pretty common....could be related to orthostatic intolerance....the autonomic nervous system can get really out of whack with ME/CFS
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

That makes sense. And, it is reassuring to hear that it is pretty common. Also, I most certainly will bring it up to my doc when I see him again. I am on meds to lower my blood pressure and am ativan to level off the nervous system, but these two haven't been doing the job lately. So, I wondered if I were missing something.
  5. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Google ME/CFS and HPA dysfunction.

The HPA is complex that regulates a number of systemic processes, including blood pressure. It is affected by ME/CFS--thus the reason that so many of us have positive tilt table tests.

6. MsE

MsE New Member

I found several articles and read a couple of them. Helpful! Thanks for the suggestion. MsE
  7. steach

steach Member

One reason that BP can become elevated is due to pain. As pain increases, BP can increase.

Another reason is pain medication- the dosage that you are taking and how often you take it.

Talk with your doc about this problem.

Good Luck,
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

I haven't had any major increase in pain and do not use a pain medication regularly except a couple of aspirin at bedtime. But yes, I do need to talk to my doc.

I can say that since I quit the new brand of glaucoma drops I was trying and stopped the very low dose of HRT things have simmered down. But my blood pressure still goes up quickly with any exertion. In fact, sometimes just getting up and moving into another room will do it. I think that whoever wrote about orthostatic intolerance may be on to something.

At any rate, all of the posts I've received have convinced me to talk to my doctor as soon as I can get in. This is making me uneasy. Thanks for contributing your thoughts.
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

Yes, I have a monitor and have been keeping track of the changes. However, I haven't been able to figure out anything that triggers the rise in pressure other than just ordinary stuff. Sometimes all it takes it to walk across the room or spend some time at the computer. Other times it stays nicely low for an entire day. It is erratic. Can't figure it out.