flue shot

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by CATHYRG, Oct 20, 2003.

1. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

hi, i have some concerns about the flue shot, should we or shouldn't we? yes, i will ask my doc before making a decision. momacats13
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Just browsing the different sites and your post caught my eye.. I don't know what kind of health problems you have, BUT, YES, it is always best to check with your doc first..

I have fibro, autoimmune hepatitis, and systemic scleroderma w/crest, arthritis and the list goes on - I ALSO TAKE AN AUTOIMMUNE DRUG CALLED IMURAN to suppress my immune system, but all my docs agree I should get it - they say if I would happen to get the flu, I could be in some real trouble..

I was given mine last Monday at my PCP - did rather well, the next day for a few hours I felt "washed out" and a little achey, but it's worth it to me
    JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.....
    Take Care......Donna
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hi! Like Donna replied I too have many different chronic illnesses. At this time I am not taking any meds that lower my own immune system, therefore both my docs say not to get the flu shot. If however, I do start a course of drugs that will inhibit my immune system I will be advised to get the flu shot.
    It is really depending upon your age and health and whether you wish to have the shot.
    It makes some people feel a bit ill right after (the flu vaccine), but this is usually much milder than getting the flu. The vaccine is not recommended for people who are allergic to egg or poultry products.
    I know my Gramma gets her shot each year and the one year she didn't she became so sick she nearly needed hospitalization. (she is 77)
    I wish you peace and happiness!
  4. soresally

soresally New Member

HI! I HAD SOME CONCERNS REGARDING GETTING THE FLU SHOT BUT SEEING OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS LOWERED DUE TO FMS, MY DOCTOR RECCOMMENDS IT. I HAVE A HYPERACTIVE THYROID TO GET RID OF SHORTLY SO HE DECIDED TO GIVE ME THE SHOT AFTERWARDS. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. GOOD LUCK!
  5. a_lex

a_lex New Member

My otherwise healthy young adult daughter had a flu shot at work ayear ago and has been unwell ever since.i suppose everyones different but i dont think its worth the risk.
  6. susieh

susieh New Member

i had the flu shot yesterday and today i am like lifeless so i know i have a few side effects and i also work in a nursing home.and i wish i did not get it.......
  7. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

Well, we have been getting out flu shot every year since it came out. I even got my daughters shots at 7 months and again this year at 18 months old. I feel it is the best thing for us. We have never felt ill after the shot. All the doctors say that these shots don't make you sick. If you were already exposed to the flu virus before you got your shot then you may get sick. The virus they use in these latest flu shots are dead. The only side effects are sore arm and achyness near the sight of the shot. I feel it is worth the risk. You have to do what you feel is right for your family. Some people like my Dad have never had the flu shot. He gets the flu maybe once every 5 years. I had a preemie baby so it is suggested I get the shots for her and I have a low immunity so I like to get it too. Sure we have gotten the flu probably every year, but it was so mild like 1 day of tummy ache little achiness. That was about it.
  8. Sassy_Pickle

Sassy_Pickle New Member

For my family I say no to shots..Stand back and look, a "outbreak" of flu is killing ppl..AND everyone and their dog are scared into getting the shots this year. Lots of shots past out, lots of people getting sick, Hand in hand? hmmmmmm
    You do what's best for YOU and no one else, do lots of reading up on the shot and make a informed desision.[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2004]