Flue shots, need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucky, Oct 28, 2002.

1. lucky

lucky New Member

Every year my doctor is trying to convince me to take a flue shot.
    I have read about a few people on this site who had taken the shots. But, in general, I would like to know how many of you are also thinking to get a flue shot or if you had them during the past years and how they effected you. I am so scared that the shot will make me even sicker than I am and would upset the immune system even more.
    I really would appreciate any input, Thanks, Lucky
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

Every year my doctor is trying to convince me to take a flue shot.
    I have read about a few people on this site who had taken the shots. But, in general, I would like to know how many of you are also thinking to get a flue shot or if you had them during the past years and how they effected you. I am so scared that the shot will make me even sicker than I am and would upset the immune system even more.
    I really would appreciate any input, Thanks, Lucky
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi, Lucky. There is an earlier post on flu shots you might try to find; many here are vehemently against them & say they felt sick afterward. I myself get them every year (as do my husband and daughter--she has gotten them every year since she was two) and in the past eleven years since we've all gotten them, we've never once had even a mild case of the flu. And I don't think it's coincidence; we've been exposed at work, school, etc. So I'm a big believer. All I've ever had is a slightly sore arm, no worse than any other shot. Never had any other adverse effects. I've been dx w/ FM for 3 1/2 yrs, so I've had shots before AND after--no difference. As I said, others here disagree, their experiences have been not as good. But then we are all very different in how we react to meds, etc. so that's not surprising! Whatever you decide, I hope you have a flu-free winter, we don't need any more sickness than we have already!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

will try to find the message and find my answer hopefully.
    I was thinking, may be because you got the shots before you were diagnosed with FMS that your immune sytems might have been a little better than having CFS/FMS for so many years like a lot of us have. May be and who knows, but great that you have success with them. Take care, Lucky
  5. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

I have not had a flu shot in years. When I have taken them I have a flare from hell. I preefer to have the flu. JMHO Rose
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had the flu twice since 1996. Once New Year's Eve 1996 and then over Labor Day when Princess Diana died. It was horrible! Since then I've gotten flu shots every year. I got one last week and as soon as I got it I forgot about it. No pain, no reactions, nothing! It's bad enough to have FMS and pain, I don't need the flu on top of that. I read that people who have immune problems should get the flu shot.

Annette2
  7. MissM

MissM New Member

Hi,

I've been getting them for a few years now and never had a bad reaction to them. I now have my daughters getting them and they haven't had a bad reaction either.
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

this will be about the sixth or seventh year in a row that I have had a flu shot. The only reaction I have ever had is that my arm is rather sore for a couple of days, much better than getting the flu.

Darma
  9. sybil

sybil New Member

on everyone.
    some people.like the ones on this thread have been fine.but i had one 3 weeks ago and i haven't been well since.i have had a terrible flare and the arm where i had the injection is still incredibly sore.
    i haven't had FMS for very long,but i have flu vaccines every year for about 15 years and before i developed FMS,they never made me ill,my arm didn't even feel sore,

sybilxxx
  10. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi,

We do not get flu shots.

We see a nutirional therapist who finds her patients are made worse long term by repeated flu vaccines, that they have a bad supressive effect on the immune system so even if you don't feel worse immediately after it she reckons long term it is bad news.

With love,

Genevieve

11. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

FYI: The flu vaccine is different than it used to be. It no longer contains the actual flu virus. That is why people would get the flu. Now they are made different and they do not cause the flu. In people with Fibro, they can cause muscle soreness,or pain...just because everything we do causes pain! I have not taken them in the past because it was actually the virus, but this year I am taking one. I'll let you know how it affects me.
    Good luck,
    Duff
  12. kay

kay New Member

I will NEVER get the flu shot again. I was deathly sick for 2 weeks. I dont trust what is bing put in any vaccine. Especially what is going on and has been going on with vaccines for a MANY years now! Good luck!!!
  13. lucky

lucky New Member

Thank you to all of you sharing your flue shot experiences with me.
    Well, as I am reading how everybody reacts so different to the shots, I have more or less decided to not get one. I just do not trust my immune system to be able to carry any additional stress, but....on the other hand if one does not try, well, how can one find out. Usually I think, I am a risk taker, but if it comes to more suffering, I get anxieties.
    I had a shot many years ago and was sick all winter, mind you that was a long time ago, and I know that the flue vaccine has changed, but I forgot to ask my doctor yesterday, what this means. What type of improvement was he talking about in regards to the new flue shots?
    If I should change my mind, I'll let you know. However, what I would like to hear about is how Sybil is further reacting to the shot.
    Thanks again and those of you had the shot this year, and everybode else, I wish you a season without any flue symptoms. All the best. Lucky
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They should still be on the first page. Also, try a search and read all the archived posts.

Love, Mikie
  15. pamela

pamela New Member

THANK GOD!!!! LAST YEAR I FELT LIKE I HAD THE FLU AFTERWARDS. THIS YEAR I HAD NOTHING... HOPE THAT HELPS PAMELA
  16. lucky

lucky New Member

Meanwhile I read all the other posts as well and with the latest additions, and the many different experiences, I have decided to take a chance and not get a flue shot.
    However, like every winter I am running if I hear somebody coughing and sneezing and am getting a little tired of it. That is the reason why my doctor probably is emphasizing the shot, he knows about my high anxiety. Whatever, both anxieties, one of getting sick and the other of not getting sick are equally bad really, so meanwhile I hope for the best.
    Kind regards, Lucky
  17. lucky

lucky New Member

What do they put into the flue vaccines, if it is not the viruses? Any idea? Take care, Lucky