Fluoroquinolone antibiotics--FDA

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by ConfusedInPA, May 13, 2016.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

I just received this today from the FDA -- I sign up for their "alerts"

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together

The link is here:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety...ivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

The drug class of "fluoro" include: Avelox, Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin (maybe others, I haven't done a lot of research). I stay away from the fluoro's.

FYI

Diane

2. bct

bct Active Member

Important info Diane. When I took Cipro it gave me terrible peripheral neuropathy! I have had it added to my allergic meds. list so that I won't be RX'd it again. Plus the other fluoroq's.

Regards,
    Barry
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  3. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Thanks, Barry for your reply. I've told all my docs NO fluoro's.

There's been info about other ABX too, like taking a Z-pak. "may be linked to heart attacks"

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697037.html

I think that's why I try to heal with some herbals. (I do a lot of research on herbs too.) I feel better (mentally) and eventually physically, with the herbs and supps.

Take care, Diane

PS: Barry, if you want to copy my post(s) or link(s), and post elsewhere, you have my permission to do so! I say "pass it on". Anyone else, too.
  4. lincamp

lincamp Member

Hi, longtime member, read a lot just don't post that much...

I have had to take Cipro on several occasions for diverticulitis w no problems however, in December I contracted pneumonia and was Rx'ed Levaqiun . After just two pills I went into the worst flare w hip and shoulder pain. They only thing that helped it was to receive steroid injections to each joint which, Thank God, finally gave me relief

I will never take Levaquin again. Odd, same class of drug different reaction..
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Diane,

Very important information. Eight percent of the population is allergic to, at least, one form of fluoride. Most don't know it. If anyone has felt sick after a fluoride rinse after having a teeth cleaning or after an eye exam, he or she may be allergic. Eye docs may use fluorescene in exams. It makes me sick all day. My eye doc uses a different drop. I never get the fluoride rinse at the dentist.

Cipro made my breathing so labored that I was ready to go to the ER. Another dose and I might have really been in pulmonary distress. All my charts have allergy warnings against fluoroquinolones. Still, one doc at a walk-in clinic prescribed it for bronchitis. The pharmacist caught it. I called to have something else prescribed and the nurse was as flummoxed as I. The warning was front and center where the doc must have seen it. He was a really nasty man and I have to wonder how much of a 'mistake' it was.

Cipro was originally developed to fight anthrax and never intended to be prescribed for run-of-the-mill infections. The pharma drug pushers and the docs seem to think they need to use a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Good grief!!! By using these heavy-hitter drugs willy nilly, it helps bacteria to become resistant.

Again, thanks for being so generous to share this info with us.

Love, Mikie