fluoroquinolone anyone??

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by rooftile, Sep 6, 2007.

1. rooftile

rooftile New Member

These abx have been around a while - quote "Quinolones and fluoroquinolones are bactericidal drugs, actively killing bacteria. Quinolones inhibit the bacterial DNA gyrase or the topoisomerase IV enzyme, thereby inhibiting DNA replication and transcription. Quinolones can enter cells easily and therefore are often used to treat intracellular pathogens such as Legionella pneumophila and Mycoplasma pneumoniae. For many gram-negative bacteria DNA gyrase is the target, whereas topoisomerase IV is the target for many gram-positive bacteria. Eukaryotic cells do not contain DNA gyrase or topoisomerase IV"

I've heard good and bad - what is the general verdict?

2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I tried Clindamycin with Qualaquin for two 10 day cycles
    rotated with Biaxin and Plaquenil. I progressively got worse. There was no initial herx followed by feeling better.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I can't explain the science, but it's generally believed by LLMD's that fluroquinolones will not kill Lyme, or any of the most common coinfections that come with it, except for Bartonella. They will kill Bartonella.

Klutzo
  4. pawprints

pawprints New Member

A little off the subject, but I have tried this class of drugs for sinus infections. Yes, I did have a herx reaction. But more importantly I suffered severe pain in my tendons in my hands which lasted long after the abx.

I did a search and found out this is a very common side effect and some people have problems that do not go away.

Just a heads up. I thought the hand pain was a herx and it was a side effect.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

My son used this for suspected Bartonella;

The Levaquin caused a LOT of 'floaters', to the point where sometimes he was afraid to drive, his vision was partially obscured for a few seconds at times.

While the first pulse of 3 weeks went ok even with the floaters, but the second pulse didn't last more than one day as he felt like all his muscles/tendons etc were 'pulsing'... even tho he couldn't see them doing this...

He was told to go off everything to allow his system to clear. During this period he had his best month ever - well, at least for 4 weeks, then symptoms started to return.

Hard to say if he was sensitized or it was a herx since it did obviously do something for him initially, but of course nobody's willing to take the chance since it was such a weird response the second time around. Levaquin and that class is known to cause tendon ruptures.

All the best,
    Victoria