Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jacquelin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Jacquelin

Jacquelin New Member

Cipro, avelox, levaquin known to exasperate underlying conditions. I have been "diagnosed" the last 2 years with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, lymes disease, tendinitis, hypothyroidism, lymphadema, ADHD, MRSA, myalgia, adrenal fatigue and this is from 3 doctors...I would probably be diagnosed wth others from their "educated guesses" only found in medical text books. I had very few issues, all minor, until I was blasted not once, not twice but 4 times with these dangerous drugs. I,nor DO the medical communty, had a clue that the medicine was what was and still is making me very sick. I feel just like I have been poisoned. I am the Quinolone Vigilance Foundation Ambassador for the state of South Carolina. Our mission is to spread the word, educate others and one day........heal. PBS just aired a documentary on the dangers of the adverse side effects. I am new here, so I will have to figure that one out.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

sounds like a bad class of drug sorry to hear

some of my fibro stuff started initially after using erythomyocin 22 years ago for complexion stuff, brought on a gall stone which led to a surgery which led to never being the same....cfs since etc

its confusing to me how people can know when antibiotics are going to be a good thing or a bad thing
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was developed, like so many before them, to treat ADIS patients who were not responding to drugs currently on the market. Big Pharma always sees ways to make huge profits "to cover R&D" from every drug they develop. They have every right to do this but what they do not have a right to do is cherry pick drug trials and minimuze the risks. What is legal, but questionable ethically, is to court docs with all kinds of freebies in order to get them to overprescribe their drugs because they are the "latest and greatest" to treat infections.

Docs have long known the danger of resistant strains from overprescribing ABX, especially for viral infections where ABX are of no benefit and pose risks. They also know that using the older tried-and-true ABX which work are better to help prevent resistant strains. In my opinion, docs are waaaay too eager to prescribe new drugs before they know any more about them than what the pharma reps tell them and what is in the printed info.

Patients who do not finish their courses of ABX are equally to blame for resistant strains. ABX dumped into water supplies and fed to fish, poultry and meat help contribute to resistant strains. We are getting ABX from a variety of sources even when we are not prescribed them. For every ABX developed, eventually, resistant strains will surface, necessitating developing more new ABX. It's a risky, downward spiral.

The fluroquinolones are an especially dangerous class of drugs and yet, docs can't wait to prescribe them. I, like one in eight people, am allergic to fluoride. One dose of Cipro almost put me in the ER. At the time I took it, I didn't know of the fluoride allergy. There are a number of ABX which are effective for me and still, docs try to get me to take Cipro. One even prescribed Avolox, knowing of my allergy. I was so sick with bronchitis that I didn't notice it until I got to the pharmacy. I called the clinic and told the nurse what a potentially dangerous mistake the doc made. She told me the allergy was on my chart. I've since found out that many docs call these drugs, quinolones, without realizing they contain fluoride. Docs don't even know what they are prescribing. We cannot trust them to do what is in our best interest or to "first, do no harm."

I refuse new drugs now because so many are later in class-action lawsuits. I perform due diligence on every drug I take. I've found that I usually know more about the drugs than my docs do.

These ABX are truly drugs from hell and I'm glad that awareness against them is building. Thank you for your efforts.

Love, Mikie
  4. SherylS

SherylS Member

OK, that is something I have never heard of. How did you find out you were allergic to flouride?
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I finally got fed up with feeling ill following every eye exam and researched online. I also felt sick following the fluoride rinses at the dentist. I was very surprised to find that one in eight people is allergic to, at least, some forms of fluoride. As I've mentioned in the past, I can use fluoridated toothpaste but I rinse my mouth with water thorougly. I only drink filtered water but don't know whether filtering removes fluoride or not. For years, I drank fluoridated tap water with no ill effects.

What really convinced me is that when I told the anesthetist about being allergic to fluoride and he made sure there was none in my anesthesia cocktail, I woke from surgery feeling great for the first time ever. When I had my other knee done, they used the same cocktail and, again, I woke up feeling great again.

Finally, when one dose of Cipro caused such labored breathing that I was ready to call 911, it was enough to convince me of this allergy.

So, while there have been no tests nor a diagnosis from a doc, I believe my conclusion is correct.

Love, Mikie
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

I have hard time showering the last 5 or so years, I wondered if something in water bothering me, its bad I only wash my hair like 2x month otherwise wash up at the sink......
    but I always feel flared up for days if shower. I thought part of it was neck issues but even if careful around that feel sort of poisoned symptoms......like if exposed to chemicals.
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

jam what is their rationale for putting it in there and who allows it?
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

I agree about Cipro and the like. I started having fibro symptoms after taking this antibiotic for a questionable infection. It definately wasn't bad enough to be put on Cipro.

Burning skin, pain beyond belief, stocking/glove numbness for a very long time. No one would think it was the medicine, but I swear it was that.

Thanks for posting and keep us updated.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have heard that taking hot showers exposes us to all kinds of toxins in the steam, including lead, Legionella, and fluoride. Toxins and pathogens live in the plumbing and the hot water dislodges them and the steam is a perfect delivery system. Scary ain't it?

Love, Mikie
  10. kch64

kch64 New Member

Yes Mikie, that's true. It is scary. Guess we just live til' we don't.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That when material is cut and pasted here, we need to not only identfy the source (can't be a commercial website) but also post that we have permission from the person who owns the material or holds the copyright to reproduce it.

It makes for easier moderating and it keeps everyone, including ProHealth, out of trouble. We have to follow copyright laws here.

Thank you.

Love, Mikie
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Anything you post in your own words is OK. So, if you say, "I read an article about how toxic fluoride is...," it's fine. It's in your own words.

The problem comes in when something is cut and pasted here verbatim. Here are some steps to remember when cutting and pasting material:

1. Check on the website and look for anything which says the material may be reproduced. If it says you may do it, go ahead and cut and paste, giving the source of the material, along with the statement that it was reproduced with permission. Note: It is rare that websites post blanket statements granting permission to reproduce.

2. If there is no permission statement, you must contact whomever owns the material or holds the copyright and ask them for permission to reproduce it here. If granted, you may cut and paste it here as long as you identify the source and that you have permission to reproduce it.

3. If something is in the public domain, meaning it's from a .gov website, you may cut and paste it here. There are some other websites in the public domain but it's tricky to discern what is and isn't.

4. You may simply post the URL (full website address) so people can read the material for themselves but it cannot be a commercial website which sells things.

5. You may reproduce material from ProHealth's Library here or post the URL of the ProHealth page on which it resides.

I know this is confusing and I suggest printing this out and keeping it by the computer if there is any confusion. Problems almost always occur when someone reads an article on another website and just copies it and pastes it here out of a kind-hearted desire to share it with everyone. Unfortunately, that is illegal to do if the material is copyrighted or owned by the website from which it originally came. ProHealth has to be vigilent in not breaking copyright laws and that is why we have to delete material which may not be legal to post here.

I hope this helps. The minute we start to copy and paste, we need to figure out whether we have legal permission to do so. In the overwhelming majority of cases, we do not unless we get permissin. We appreciate it that our members are so generous in sharing with one another; however, copyright laws are important. Abiding by them keeps everyone, including ProHealth, out of legal problems.

Thank you all for helping to stay within the law when sharing.

Love, Mikie