Flushing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Oct 17, 2002.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

My question - is flushing on the face, neck and upper chest a symptom? For about 9 months I've been doing this. It has a sudden onset and lasts from a few minutes to several hours. My face feels hot to the touch but no fever. I thought at first it was when my blood pressure was very high but I've checked and that isn't it. Has anyone ever experienced this?
    By the way, I haven't introduced myself yet. My name is Annette and my husband and I live in Charlotte NC with 6 cats and a cockatiel. I haven't been diagnosed yet but I sure feel like I have a lot of the symptoms you guys describe. I have an appt Monday with a new rheumie here in Charlotte and if that doesn't work I have an appt with a doc that HiRiskRN told me about on Nov 7. My hubby is a dialysis patient, for 3 1/2 years now, and is on the kidney/panc transplant list. I have had various aches and pains for years but I blew it off and attributed it to 18 yrs as an ER nurse and age (I'm 53). But now I work as an office manager in an IT staffing office so I am definitely not overworked. In fact if I didn't feel so bad it would be like a vacation. But a year and a half ago I fell down the stairs here at work and it seems like after that the aches and pains are more frequent, in more places, last longer and are more severe. I finally had a cervical fusion in May and things are worse now than even just after the fall. My back and shoulders hurt, I wake up at night with a heaviness in my legs or my arms around the elbow and forearm. And I have an advanced case of CRS. But the very worse part is the fatigue. I am so tired. I feel like a 90 year old woman. I have always been active (not exercising, but a fanatical housekeeper). I was on the go somewhere all of the time. Now it is a real struggle to just come to work. As soon as I get home I take my clothes off and flop on the bed and I'm there until the next morning. I almost never get out of my pajamas all weekend. My house is a pigsty. I thought it was stress and depression at first, but this goes way beyond that I think. Anyway, reading the posts here has helped. At least I don't think I'm crazy now. And although I would rather not feel like this, knowing that there is a real reason for it is somehow comforting. Thank you all and I hope to be around long enough to make some great friends.
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

My question - is flushing on the face, neck and upper chest a symptom? For about 9 months I've been doing this. It has a sudden onset and lasts from a few minutes to several hours. My face feels hot to the touch but no fever. I thought at first it was when my blood pressure was very high but I've checked and that isn't it. Has anyone ever experienced this?
    By the way, I haven't introduced myself yet. My name is Annette and my husband and I live in Charlotte NC with 6 cats and a cockatiel. I haven't been diagnosed yet but I sure feel like I have a lot of the symptoms you guys describe. I have an appt Monday with a new rheumie here in Charlotte and if that doesn't work I have an appt with a doc that HiRiskRN told me about on Nov 7. My hubby is a dialysis patient, for 3 1/2 years now, and is on the kidney/panc transplant list. I have had various aches and pains for years but I blew it off and attributed it to 18 yrs as an ER nurse and age (I'm 53). But now I work as an office manager in an IT staffing office so I am definitely not overworked. In fact if I didn't feel so bad it would be like a vacation. But a year and a half ago I fell down the stairs here at work and it seems like after that the aches and pains are more frequent, in more places, last longer and are more severe. I finally had a cervical fusion in May and things are worse now than even just after the fall. My back and shoulders hurt, I wake up at night with a heaviness in my legs or my arms around the elbow and forearm. And I have an advanced case of CRS. But the very worse part is the fatigue. I am so tired. I feel like a 90 year old woman. I have always been active (not exercising, but a fanatical housekeeper). I was on the go somewhere all of the time. Now it is a real struggle to just come to work. As soon as I get home I take my clothes off and flop on the bed and I'm there until the next morning. I almost never get out of my pajamas all weekend. My house is a pigsty. I thought it was stress and depression at first, but this goes way beyond that I think. Anyway, reading the posts here has helped. At least I don't think I'm crazy now. And although I would rather not feel like this, knowing that there is a real reason for it is somehow comforting. Thank you all and I hope to be around long enough to make some great friends.
  3. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Hi & Welcome..I also get that "flushing", but don't know if it's related to the FM or not..I also suffer from anxiety/depression/panic disorder and also perimenapausal..So it could be from that too..But then again, I been having "flushing" since 1986 or before..And that is also around the time my anxiety got really bad..
    Who knows with this disease..........
    Take Care..........Donna
  4. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

First, welcome Annette! Have you ever been to a dermatologist for this "flushing"? I have roseaca and when the weather starts to get cooler and I am in a heated area I become red on my face and neck also. I also get sever sensitivity on my face. The cooler wind when I walk outside has caused me to start to flush much more in the past few days. Also, I am a kitty lover!! We only have two, ones blind and my little girl is already having kidney problems. Ugh... Anyway... hope you find this website an encouragement...Barb
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'm Kady..live in Elkin, NC...married...a nurse......have 3 indoor cats and 2 outdoor ones.....have FM and stuff......have severe facial and neck flushing for years. I do not have Rosacea and this is not my Lupus rash......this is a hot face with no increased body temp....I also break out at times in a cold sweat for no known reason. This is not a hot flash; it is a cold, clammy sweat. I am not diabetic, but my glucose will run a teensy bit high at times. I also, have either panic attacks or a fight or flight response at times when I am in a crowd or feel trapped. Yesterday I was at the nurse's station, on the phone with a patient's family member who went on and on and on and on............there were two other people at the desk, too. I suddenly broke out in a cold sweat and felt as if I were pushed up against the wall by a crazed axe murderer. My belly felt as if I could have diarrhea or I could vomit..I could NOT get off of that phone or away from that desk fast enough!!! I hate that 'cause it's quite obvious to all around me that I'm a basket case. No one there understands that my autonomic nervous system is working overtime. (as am I for that matter.lol)
    Do you have this or just the facial flushing?

Love,
    Kady
  6. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I live in Parkersburg, WV and yes I have that flushing also. I feel like I'm running a fever cause my face feels so hot but temp is normal. I have FM and still being DX for other things. Welcome...
    Carlacat
  7. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

My entire face from hairline to about the upper third of my chest is bright red and feels like fever to the touch, but no elevated temperature. And I don't have panic attacks although I have a terrible fear and dread feeling 80% of the time, of course for no reason. I haven't seen anyone about this though, but I've had so many different symptoms that seemed totally unrelated that I didn't know which one to pick for a complaint when I made an appt. I went to see my "used to be" PCP about 5 months ago to get a thyroid profile because I thought that my fatigue was caused by that. When the male nurse was asking me what I was there for, I was very abbreviated with my symptoms. "I am so tired some days it's hard to function, my lower back hurts all the time, and my legs hurt". I figured I would wait until the doc came in to elaborate. But I overheard the 2 of them laughing outside the exam room that the doc wouldn't be able to see anybody else the rest of the day if he tried to treat all my symptoms. I was so hurt and humiliated that when the doc came in the only thing I told him was I was tired and asked him for a thyroid profile. It was normal. So until my sister mentioned to me that my symptoms were a lot like hers (she was dx'ed with fms about 8 years ago - very mild case)I was just convinced that I was coming unglued and imagining all of it.
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

report the staff for their unprofessional comments??? Boy, I would've and I'd have NEVER darkened those doors again. You know, you CAN report nurses to the NC Board of Nursing. I am a nurse and I am SURE I'd have been reported if I'd ever done something THIS stupid!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]
  9. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

but I was so embarassed and hurt I just wanted to leave. But I haven't been back and I won't.