Flying with liquid meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by connieaag, Dec 21, 2006.

1. connieaag

connieaag New Member

Anyone been on a plane with the new "liquid" laws? We need to fly with liquid Nystatin and I hate to not carry it on. It is the original bottle with my daughter's name on it.

2. connieaag

connieaag New Member

it sounds like we just have to 'declare' it. Any experiences are welcome.

Traveling with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
    Medications

You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additonal items you may bring include:

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
    Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
    Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
    Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
    You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.

For more information on these measures, please read our memo outlining our policy. Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (PDF 101 KB)

Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Please make sure your medications are labeled.

We normally X-ray medication and related supplies. However, as a customer service, you may ask that Security Officers visually inspect your medication and associated supplies.

You must ask for visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will be X-rayed.
    If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
    Ask the Security Officer to visually inspect your medication and hand your medication pouch/bag to him or her.
    To prevent your medication, associated supplies or fragile medical materials for contamination or damage, we will ask you to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during visual inspection. Any medication and/or associated supplies that we can’t clear visually will be X-rayed. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.
    While we can not provide an exhaustive list of items, below are some of the most common. Please note, if you have questions or doubts on certain items, place those in your checked baggage. We strongly encourage travelers to read our full list of prohibited items to avoid hassle.

The links below have more detailed information for people traveling with:

Mobility Disabilities
    Hearing Disabilities
    Visual Disabilities
    Hidden Disabilities
    Medical and Assistive Devices
    Service Animals
    Children with Disabilities
    Medical Conditions
    Medications
  3. Daisys

Daisys Member

I kept my xyrem with me, and it was no problem at all. They see that it's a prescription and it goes right thru without question.

They say to be sure that the prescription name and the boarding pass are the same.

You shouldn't have a bit of trouble.
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

It's funny that I noticed while traveling that different airports have different limits on ounces for other stuff. St. Louis had 3.4 ounces so my hand lotion went through fine. Las Vegas had 3.0 ounces. I forgot about the hand lotion but they didn't even search the bag and it went through. I noticed after I got home. Okay, that's a little scarey to me.

Don't even try to take water through - there were so many abandoned bottles at the inspection point, they could have flooded the dessert. You can buy any liquids after the inspection point to take on the plane. My son wondered if they inspected all those liquids when they came into the stores. He had this elaborate story. I really didn't need to hear it. He was probably right but I won't elaborate - don't want to give anyone any ideas.
  5. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I just went to the US from Germany to see my Mom. I have no problems with either liquid or pills. I even had a syringe in my bag and the screener just looked at it. But... Before going on my trip I had my doctor write a note saying what meds I am on and that I do need the needles. It might not hurt to get a note from the doc OR just photocopy the prescription and take it with you to the gate. I think the 3 oz rule is for things like drinks, water, etc. I did see some guys have a bad experience :) They had bought 6 bottles of Rum at the duty free (tax free) shop and were not allowed to take them on the plane and it was too late to put them in their baggage. I guess some screener had a free party that night! <smile>