FM: A Breakdown of the Nervous System PH Catalog and Newsletter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Aug 19, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I read in the PH catalog that some of our diseases are caused by years of stress and the breakdown (phycially) of the nervous system.

I tend to believe it. I ran on high stress for so many year.
    Working and being my husbands trophy wife (although I look nothing like such a being) running from here to there and back again.

I believe my body physically broke down.

The PH article seemed to validate this.

Did anyone else read it?

nyrofan
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Yes, Nyrofan, I read that article and every other. What a great issue it is!!Dr. Pellegrino's theory does not surprise me. I always operated at "full throttle"...on the go from 6AM until I collapsed at 10 or 11pm.

I remember once I was on vacation in Colorado with my husband and 3 sons. We decided to take some ski lessons. My husband was the only one who knew how to ski. The boys did fine. I just couldn't get it and kept falling. The instructor asked me "what do you do to relax?". He thought I was too tense and wanted me to relax a bit. Nyrofan, I was so embarrassed because I didn't have an answer. The truth was I did not relax....EVER!! He finally said "do you drink?". I thought he was inferring that I was an alcoholic. When I said "sometimes". He said "good, now go over to the ski lodge and have a couple of drinks and come back".

I can laugh about it now, but I always remember how pitiful I felt that I never relaxed. Another time that really stands out was when our youngest son got married. It was around that time that I started to feel the first signs of this illness. I won't go into all the details, but I pretty much ran the show and my daughter-in-law was very happy to let me. Her mother was not available to her. Not only did we sponser rehearsal dinners and a church reception plus a main reception at our home, we had a lot of out-of-town family staying at our home.

At one point I was busily preparing meals and seeing to everyone's comfort the day after the wedding. There were at least 15 people at our home at the time. My father looked at me and said "don't you ever rest?".

Yes, I think my poor body finally said "ENOUGH!!".

I don't know if you have this problem, but since "doing" was my nature, my mind is having a very difficult time coping with FMS and CFIDS. It is just very recently that I have begun to accept the fact that I am truly ill. For the first 8 years after I was diagnosed, I pushed myself until I crashed. My symptoms were just a nuisance. I found doctors early on who prescribed pain meds so I would take a pill and keep pushing. I am afraid that I have done some serious damage to my body.

Oh, dear, I'm sorry this post is so long. I just think it struck a cord within me. I'm right there with you, Nyrofan.

Blessings,

Lolalee