FM after hysterectomy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charisma1973, Mar 16, 2003.

1. charisma1973

charisma1973 New Member

I have read the threads about pregnancy and FM and what could be the effects of hormones and body stress during and after pregnancy, but has anyone here had a hysterectomy and could you tell me if it affected the FM at all? I had a complete hysterectomy 2 months ago, and things have seemed to get worse, but we have had a death in the family plus trying to get my hormones regulated, I am not sure what is affecting what?! I am only 29 feeling like I am 90.....

Any advice or suggestions?

Charisma1973
  2. charisma1973

charisma1973 New Member

guess i'll live and learn!
  3. charisma1973

charisma1973 New Member

Does anyone else have any input on this?

charisma1973
  4. ellcee

ellcee New Member

about 7 years ago. I feel that it hasn't made my FM any worse. I don't suffer every month like I use to. I had endometriosis, so in that sense I am better for it . I do think if you if there are a lot of stresses in your life that it does make the FM worse. I have had several things that have happened in the last few years that have made mine worse. I believe that the longer you have FM, especially if it hasn't been diagnosed by a Dr., the worse it is when you are finally diagnosed. Now that I am on medication and have gone to a Fibro clinic for the FM I am trying to control it.
  5. charisma1973

charisma1973 New Member

thanks for the insight. I do believe that it is a stressor and not necessarily the procedure that can cause a "flare up" or whatever.

Thanks

charisma1973
  6. KimAB

KimAB New Member

I'm 33 and had my hysterectomy two years ago. It took me a lot longer than normal to recover from the surgery and I get sick more often since and it's harder to get over things. Keeping in mind that I'm no longer bleeding and it was all worth it ...

I am assuming here that you have had TAH/BSO- if that is so then that is NOT very much time to recover especially with a death in the family !

I don't know if I can link to other forums here and I don't want to step on any toes so I will only say Hystersisters was a tremendous blessing. They are very knowlegable and supportive.

I can suggest a rest in the afternoon with your knees bent and no lifting! Oh and don't listen to people who tell you that you should be completely healed after 6 weeks... He he he ... no.
  7. KimAB

KimAB New Member

I'm 33 and had my hysterectomy two years ago. It took me a lot longer than normal to recover from the surgery and I get sick more often since and it's harder to get over things. Keeping in mind that I'm no longer bleeding and it was all worth it ...

I am assuming here that you have had TAH/BSO- if that is so then that is NOT very much time to recover especially with a death in the family !

I don't know if I can link to other forums here and I don't want to step on any toes so I will only say Hystersisters was a tremendous blessing. They are very knowlegable and supportive.

I can suggest a rest in the afternoon with your knees bent and no lifting! Oh and don't listen to people who tell you that you should be completely healed after 6 weeks... He he he ... no.
  8. s43

s43 New Member

Although i have been suffering for 10 yrs with different illnesses more so the last 6yrs,but when i had a full hysterectomy last may the symptoms went crazy so much so tha i was diagnosed with fibro in sept after yrs of drs telling me they couldnt find anything wrong with blood,xrays ,ct scans and mri's.Since the op i havent had a day when i felt well,alright the period problems have gone but yes i do think that it went full blown since last may.

Sharon
  9. beansma

beansma New Member

HI! I am new to this board, just found it yesterday.
    I was dx'd about 3 yrs ago and I am going to be having a hysterectomy and bladder repair in about 2 months. I just got to thinking alot about this subject today and how it will affect the FM afterwards. Does anyone have any possible tips on how to possibly prevent as bad of a flare up? I want to talk to my OB/GYN at my next appt (in 2 weeks) about being aware that it may be a harder recover because of the FM, so he doesn't go by the standard just in case. He's a really good dr, but I don't think he puts much stock in the dx of FM. At 2 different appts recently he asked if I was still having problems with FM and when I said yes, he responded by telling me I should get a better mattress and it will take care of all the pains. Sure a good mattress certainly will not hurt, but by all means will not cure FM! But my family dr is very knowledgable of the disease and I'm sure I will have his full support if needed.
    Any advice would be great!!!
    Thanks-Dawn
  10. clueless

clueless New Member

same here ! Mu FM exploded after surgery. And to think it was a surgery I could have gotten out of having. BAD decision I made!!!! I have reada lot where surgery does something to your system that causes the FM to come out worse. Makes one think they would not have the surgery if it was a choice
  11. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Hi Charisma,

I had a hysterectomy at 27 and removal of ovaries after ovarian cancer at 35. I had some menopausal symptoms straight after the initial surgery and this escalated with the latest surgery.

I have only now in the past 2 months finally gotten my hormones under control. My doctor trebled my HRT dose and it has worked! Prior to this I had awful menopausal symptoms for years..literally. I tried a great deal of things including natural therapies and nothing worked conclusively.

The upshot is that some of the things that had been attributed to FMS were actually to do with my body not having the hormones to regulate itself that it needed. For example: brain fog, anxiety and ability to deal with stress.

I'm in total agreement with the post above that said 6 weeks is not enough time in which to heal after a hysterectomy. It takes a hell of a lot out of your body and you have the added complication of a death in the family. REST, REST and REST! The time frame is more like 3 months before you begin to feel "normal" again.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Jeni
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2003]