FM and caffene

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FlossNG8r, Jan 27, 2007.

1. FlossNG8r

FlossNG8r New Member

I was told recently by a friend that she thinks caffene and artificial sweetners can make FM worse. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this or have any knowledge as to if there have been studies done?

Thanks,
    Pam
  2. FlossNG8r

FlossNG8r New Member

Thanks Elaine!

I would have a hard time giving up my morning coffee, but would do it if it made me feel better.

There are many negative things out there about artifical sweetners, but I just never heard anything in relation to FM before.
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

I can't have caffeine at all. NIL, ZIP, NADA.
    It sends my pulse through the roof, gives me skipped beats, dizziness, anxiety, nausea, & upset stomach.
    Also it increases my pain tenfold.
    I used to love my Coke & Iced Coffee's, but now I don't go near them.
    Last night I had some Mocha mousse with espresso in it & had rapid pulse, dizziness, nausea & upset stomach within 15 minutes of consuming it.
  4. mrpain

mrpain New Member

The aspartame in the artificial sweetners are pure poison.
    Google "aspartame" and you'll never touch it again.... MSG in food and aspartame in sweetners are a definite no-no for fibro & cfs patients......
  5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

The worlds best kept secret! I have a hard time figuring out why more of us aren't using stevia. It's a natural herb sweetner that works great and not only has no side effects, is actually good for us.

I got three bottles from puritan pride for $15.00 and it's lasting me forever.

Do some search on it, or google it.

MSS
  6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I think it depends, not all of us are the same, for me personally it doesn't make a difference. I used to have 2 cups of coffee a day and now I have been caffeine free for more than a year, I do not feel any better or worse.

The same goes for artificial sweeteners, some people are very sensitive to it, while it will have no effect on others. I avoid it anyway because I think it is poison!
    You will have to try everything to see what works for you.

Good luck!
    Phoebe
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

My chiro said that caffine isn't feally very good for fmers and he told me he knew realistically that it would be really difficult to cut it off all together but he said if between 12noon and 2pm I could cut off my caffine intake it would help and it does.

I have began drinking alot more root beer (caffine free) and decaf tea.

My sleep has improved some what.

Pamela
  8. FlossNG8r

FlossNG8r New Member

I appreciate all the replies. You guys gave some great advice.

I had been caffene free for about two years prior to my diagnosis of FM. I recently got the craving for a cup of coffee and indulged in the caffene. I felt good that day as far as less fatigue and more energy..happier disposition. BUT I have also been having more aches and pains and am unsure if it is a concidence or a direct result. I had the flu shortly before Christmas and that's when I began feeling the FM symptoms start to come back..gradually.

Anyway, thanks again. Sorry to drag this topic back to the top but I wanted you all to know that I apreciated you taking the time to reply. :)

Pam
  9. 4isfamily

4isfamily New Member

I used to drink quite a bit of coffee, as it was the only thing that helped me to get through the day. After I discovered I had FM, I quit cold turkey (which was very hard...) and tried to limit sweets. I still occasionally (1-2x month) get a decaf coffee when I really crave it, but have noticed that whenever I get a coffee, I get FM muscle cramping by the afternoon. But this may just be me, everybody is different. I now drink lots of tees, herb, green (Yogi Superantioxidant is the best) - they do have some coffein, but not as much as coffee.

Petra
  10. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Caffeine is known to be bad for RLS for obvious reasons. Since caffeine makes you jumpy. I would say caffeine in small doses & caffeine does work with headaches as well.

I stay away from caffeine as much as possible. I get easy stomach upset, so my choice of dring is sprite or 7up on a low dose.

fun-
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Pam:

I know a cup of coffee helps cut the pain, at least for me.
    Sometimes I have a double expresso.

I am not sure about the sweeteners.

nyrofan
  12. Daisys

Daisys Member

My integrative doctor told me coffee, even decaf, is not good for this condition. There's a lot of other stimulating substances in coffee besides the caffeine.

He told me that even tho green tea has caffeine in it, it is so healthy that he would recommend that I drink it in moderation in the morning. He says green tea has other ingredients that are calming.

He's not the first one to tell me to get off coffee. Every time I've gone to an alternative health care, usually a naturopath, I've been told I need to get off coffee. I resisted for years because I love coffee and don't care for tea. Well,...these last few months I've been trying out herbal teas, and trying to do without coffee, and little by little I'm losing my taste for coffee. I still will enjoy a cup now and then, but am now enjoying a variety of tea. I like green chai tea the best. If I drink too much, tho, it keeps me too alert at bedtime.

Coffee definitey does not affect my husband at all. I guess it really is a case of Your Mileage May Vary.
  13. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have fibromyalgia and get very bad reaction to coffee--sometimes even the decaf does it. It feels like it numbs my brain and I feel sleepy, groggy, and dopey (like brain fog) for the rest of the day--almost like I've been drugged. Not really sure why, since it stimulates most people but it makes me so I can't even think clearly!

Does anyone out there have an opinion on why this happens? I was wondering if it makes me surge insulin and burns up all my blood sugar, making me hypoglycemic or if I could have a coffee allergy. I seem to be able to drink tea without this effect; the caffeine in tea is mildly stimulating.

Deb