FM and Car Accidents

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I am interested in the number of people who mentioned that they seemed to get fibromyalgia following a car accident. I never heard of this before; does anyone know exactly what the statistics are on this?

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I am interested in the number of people who mentioned that they seemed to get fibromyalgia following a car accident. I never heard of this before; does anyone know exactly what the statistics are on this?

Hippo
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am not aware that there are any statistics, but I know from this board that many people have developed Fibro from auto accidents.

I am not one of them, but others will share their experience with you .

Shalom, Shirl

4. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Yes, I believe mine came out in full force after a bad car accident in 1993. I had a drunk driver hit me head on going 40 mph. I was at a complete stop with nowhere to go. I spent a year in therapy: PT 3 times a week, Massage once a week, Chiropractor once a week, with periodic checks by an Orthopedic doctor. I practically lived at the doctor's office.

After that year they told me "We've done all we can do. Just continue your stretching and exercises on your own." They closed my case (with a pitiful $10,000 in which my lawyer got $3,333) I haven't gotten any better and have spent thousands out of my own pocket for treatments.

Do you want to hear something strange about it though? I NEVER used to wear my seatbelt. A was going out to dinner with a friend of mine who insisted I wear my seatbelt, even though we were only going across town. We argued for 10 minutes about it, when I finally gave in and put it on. Not 10 minutes later, we had that horrible accident. I took a terrible blow underneath my chin by the airbag and had major abrasions on my chest from the seatbelt but I believe it saved my life. The car was totaled and the police commented that they couldn't believe we even survived the accident.

-Shoobie

5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

That was not it in my case, but in my personal opinion, yes I do believe that any emotional or physical trauma can bring it on..I myself having FM for 8 - 9 years and just being in a car accident myself back in March, I went into the worst flare, I have ever had..I was parked, and hit from behind..I am still in more pain today as I sit here because of that..Sorry I don't have any statistics on it, but there are quite a few on this board, that say that is when their FM started after a car accident..
    Take Care..........
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

A study showed that 41% of FMS patients got it following a car accident, making this the number one trigger of FMS.
    Also, an excellent Israeli study showed that only one type of injury in a car accident is associated with later development of FMS....neck injury. There was no association with other types of injuries, but the percentage of people who suffered a neck injury and then got FMS was a whopping 22.6%! Considering how many people suffer whiplash injuries , it is no wonder FMS is so common.
    This makes sense, since the seat of the autonomic nervous system is in the brain stem, where the neck connects to the head, and FMS is a disorder of autonomic dysregulation.
    Hope this answers your question,
    Klutzo

BTW - I got FMS after being declared dead at the scene of a car accident in which I suffered a closed head injury. I had a grapefruit-sized hematoma which covered the whole left side of my head from top to the neck.

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2002]
  7. Bkay

Bkay New Member

Hi Hippo,

I do believe that you get it from a accident...I was fine until 5 years ago when I had a accident where I broke my pelvis. I did fine from the accident but about 2 years later I started with all the aches and pains.. I do believe the tramua to your body does cause it...

Bkay.
  8. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

I was in a car accident in the early 80's.....rear-ended, but my FM really didn't show up until I had neck surgery, 10/25/97.....Cervical Diskectomy, now I wonder if there is a connection?
  9. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I appreciate the info; I must say I am surprised. I have been in a couple of car accidents, but I have had muscle problems since I was a kid, so don't think there is a connection in my case. Thanks to you all.

Hippo
  10. honey

honey New Member

I was in a car accident in 95, rear ended had whip lash and lower back injury, funny sensations in legs and arms lost some of my sight in one eye for a few days blah, blah, blah.....went to lots of doctors who told me in the end to go home and live with it. I believe this is when the FM really started for me, before that I did have a few pains from time to time but nothing compared to what I live with day in day out.

wishing you pain free, happy days

Luv
    Lyn
  11. chrissy

chrissy New Member

hi hippo, I was in a bad car accident 12 years ago, rear ended in a 5 car accident (some guy was driving at 60 miles an hour and rammed a line of cars STOPPED to get on the freeway. I have FM S and MPS and had a HORRIBLE flare up 2 years ago which sent me running to the surgeon to get surgery in my neck. I had 3 disks removed, a 6 cm titanium plate put in and a piece of my right hip. I had a 60 % improvement in my neck but the pain in my back (constant burning is back ) I am convinced the accident caused my illness,or at least unleashed it with a long delay of 12 years
  12. herblady

herblady New Member

i've noticed a large percentage of the people here developed fm after a car accident. i can't explain why. i was in a minor car accident in 1996. minor but i got bumped around painfully. last year i was diagnosed with fm. lots of others can say the same apparently. cindi
  13. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

I think that maybe I was born with this illness or at least a predisposition to it. But things got significantly worse following a car acident in 91. I was stationary waiting in a queue at some lights when some idiot decided to accelaerate and rearended me and shunted me into the car in front. I was knocked unconscious and woke up flat on my back because the seat had collapsed backwards with the force and suffered severe whiplash.
    I believe that trauma of any kind has an impact on us.
    love therese
  14. little

little Member

I had my gall bladder out in 1971 and six weeks later I got hepitits A. I woke up one morning stiff and in terrible pain. I could hardly walk and it tooks about 2-3 hours before I could use my hands. The doctors couldn't find a thing wrong with me. Three years ago I was told that I have FM. It took them all that time to find and answer. Now I know what was wrong with me all those years. BUT, the family still haven't changed their mine about me. Even though I get ssd and comp. They can't see it so I'm faking it.It has been very helpful to have found this site. I come almost every day. It helps to have people who know exactly what I'm going through. THANKS TO EVERYONE.GAIL
  15. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

OK... maybe a few more notes...

I had disabling "growing pains" as a child.

In my late teens and early 20's I suffered alot of emtional trauma.

For me, I believe the car accident brought out something that was already there at birth/early childhood.

Due to the research that's been done, and my own personal experience, I really think that it IS trauma that brings it out. Perhaps it lies "dormant" for a while.

Perhaps something is triggered in the brain.

I think of our bodies as a vehicle (and not just metaphorically either). Did you ever notice if you let something go in a car, you end up with 10 other problems? One thing affects another, affects another, and so on. Fortunately, with cars, if things get that bad you can just bring it to the dump and get a new one (it's cheaper than trying to fix so many problems) Unfortunately, with us humans, you can't just trade it in for a new one.

Some food for thought.
    -Shoobie

16. Dadto3

Dadto3 New Member

I had a car accident in 96 in which I broke an arm and leg. Five months later I had a house fire which took virtually everything. Been a few car accidents since and several other emotional traumas. I was fired from my job of 11 years due to inability to perform job funtions. Worked ever since I was 9 or 10 so I have had I think four or so jobs since then but everytime I run out of meds I end up doing someting I normally wouldn't do like quitting my job or leaving my kids mother. It has become an even worse problem now though because my kids no longer have insurance or me for that matter. My doctor refuses to refill my muscle relaxers due to a clerical error and so on and so on.......
  17. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

HI,

I was in a car accident in '98. I hit my head a couple of times on the side window and also got minor whiplash. My husband caused the accident and he beleives it's his fault that I have FM, as it developed shortly
    after the acciedent and DX a few months later.

I think that FM lies dormant and stress/trauma cause it to surface.

Rachel
  18. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I had symptoms of FM when I was young but nothing overwhelming. It was not until I was involved in car accident that I became full blown ill. It was about 6 months after my accident that I became my worst. I do believe the accident is what triggered my worst symptoms. After my accident I was never the same.

Abi
  19. catsii

catsii New Member

Hippo, I've not been in car accident but have fallen a few times. The last fall was last October. Was walking my dog and tripped on unlevel sidewalk. I was down and couldn't get up. Thank goodness the UPS truck for my neighborhood saw me go down and came to my rescue. I didn't break anything or sprain anything...just skinned my knee and bruised it and scraped my hand. But the pain of the jolt was so severe, everything on me hurt to the point i broke out in cold sweat and didn't know whether i was going to faint or throw-up. I had such a bad (fms) flare for over a week. The knee was fine, hand fine, but everything on me was agony and i had bouts of nausea for several days!
    No doubt in my mind any trauma to your body can cause a flare if you already have fms..but don't know if it causes fms..would be interested to learn this..just like you !
  20. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I think that I probably had it before, but after I was rearended by 3 cars and suffered neck and back injuries it seemed that I got really a lot worse, and can't function well now. I have read that FMS is frequently diagnosed after neck injuries.