FM AND CHOKING?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nancy2189, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Nancy2189

Nancy2189 New Member

Hi everyone, I have been having problems with swallowing food for some time, but just awhile ago, I was eating "rice" and suddenly it wouldn't go down. I was choking but remaining calm hoping it would slide down like other times. Well it didn't so I ran for the bathroom and forced the rice up and out. Now I'm thinking I better stick to soft foods. Anyone else with this problem? Nancy
  2. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I have problems swallowing at times too. As the above poster noted, it's almost like a spasm and I also sometimes choke on nothing at all.

If liquid is going down "the wrong way" or if you're choking for nothing, here's a tip -- raise both arms with your hands in the air, and keep them there until the choking spasm passes. This opens the passageway and allows the liquid to go down the right way. IMPORTANT: DON'T TRY THIS WITH FOOD!!!

It's a frustrating feeling and so embarrassing when it happens, but you're not alone.

Wishing you well,
    nature
  3. ceres

ceres New Member

it seems like when i was taking prozac i started to have that problem and no matter what water and food whould cause
    that,i am wondering if there is a connection? are you taking prozac? im not taking it anymore and it seems to
    subside,hop this shed some light somewhere :)ceres
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

I have CFIDS and have had the same experience. Often. It is worse in the evenings. Some foods are worse than others. Cold water, for instance. Trying to swallow evening meds can be a nuisance. There I stand massaging my throat in a downward motion until the darned things work their way to where I want 'em. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. I've lost a few expensive pills that way! Thank goodness this isn't a daily occurrence for me.
  5. Nancy2189

Nancy2189 New Member

Thank you all for writing. I didn't know if this was another symptom of FM or not. And yes, I do take prozac. And yes, it sometimes happens with a liquid. That hurts when it finally goes down. Thanks much, Nancy
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have same problem and get to coughing so bad, as a small piece of food is stuck. I think part of my problem is allergies and throat swells, plus mucus from sinus drainage.
  7. darude

darude New Member

hAPPENED TO ME TONIGHT ON WATER WOW ANY TIPS ON WHAT TO DO
  8. darude

darude New Member

hAPPENED TO ME TONIGHT ON WATER WOW ANY TIPS ON WHAT TO DO
  9. donnell

donnell New Member

It's horrible! I'm sitting there choking, coughing and trying to breathe and everyone around me is asking me if I am ok... like I can answer. it's like your glands just dont respond. either they go nuts and spasm... or they don't work at all.
  10. donnell

donnell New Member

It's horrible! I'm sitting there choking, coughing and trying to breathe and everyone around me is asking me if I am ok... like I can answer. it's like your glands just dont respond. either they go nuts and spasm... or they don't work at all.
  11. nathansmom

nathansmom New Member

I hate this too, I cannot drink cold water at all either but i feel like i get a muscle spasm of some type also and things won't go down. It is scary. I have to drink water that is room temp. weird i know. nathansmom
  12. nathansmom

nathansmom New Member

I hate this too, I cannot drink cold water at all either but i feel like i get a muscle spasm of some type also and things won't go down. It is scary. I have to drink water that is room temp. weird i know. nathansmom
  13. teene

teene New Member

I get this feeling all the time Im choking on water food an some times just swallowing its scary.it feels like my throught is closing, anything help?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2005]
  14. teene

teene New Member

I get this feeling all the time Im choking on water food an some times just swallowing its scary.it feels like my throught is closing, anything help?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2005]
  15. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

Have not actually choked, but a new problem is the throat feeling tight, not entirely unlike some of the allergic reactions I've had in the past. I've been wondering if it was GERD or sinus related, since I've got some issues with those thugs lately.
  16. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

Have not actually choked, but a new problem is the throat feeling tight, not entirely unlike some of the allergic reactions I've had in the past. I've been wondering if it was GERD or sinus related, since I've got some issues with those thugs lately.
  17. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Me too! I thought my swallowing problems might have had something to do with being intubated during my last back surgery -- maybe not.

I have an appt with the FM doc tomorrow, hopefully I'll remember to ask him about it.

I've taken to eating very very slowly the past few years. A couple of days ago I started choking at dinnertime. I finally coughed the food up (gross) and spit it into a napkin. Yuck! DH was pretty freaked out.

Maybe the doc will shed some light on this problem.

Mar
  18. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Me too! I thought my swallowing problems might have had something to do with being intubated during my last back surgery -- maybe not.

I have an appt with the FM doc tomorrow, hopefully I'll remember to ask him about it.

I've taken to eating very very slowly the past few years. A couple of days ago I started choking at dinnertime. I finally coughed the food up (gross) and spit it into a napkin. Yuck! DH was pretty freaked out.

Maybe the doc will shed some light on this problem.

Mar
  19. tansy

tansy New Member

then lyme disease with neuroborreliosis. I have significant cranial neuritis in the the nerves that cause both these problems, ie difficulties swallowing and food going down the wrong way. I am sure there are other reasons for these too.

love, Tansy
  20. tansy

tansy New Member

then lyme disease with neuroborreliosis. I have significant cranial neuritis in the the nerves that cause both these problems, ie difficulties swallowing and food going down the wrong way. I am sure there are other reasons for these too.

love, Tansy