fm and exersize-Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rhonda357, Feb 18, 2006.

1. rhonda357

rhonda357 New Member

I have a question, my Rheumy wants me to exersize, how am I supposed to do that when any thing out of the ordinary puts me down for days? I did physical therepy and I swear I am worse now than before, so what are we to do? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much
    Rhonda
  2. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hi Rhonda,

I do Yoga/Pilates which really helps to relieve some of my pain. I would recommend warm water aerobic exercises as that would be very beneficial. I am going to be doing that very soon to help my body out.

I also try to walk for about 15-20 minutes when I can go out. If I unable to go out I do Yoga, and a little dancing.

I hope this helps!

Much love,
    Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Rhonda...I noticed that we are about the same age! And I have found exercise to be the best thing I do for my FMS.

The hardest part, though, is kicking myself out the door for a walk or going to the gym. After that, it is enjoyable. I know that it is hard to see when you are in such pain, but as livinlife said, just take it a little at a time.

I was running 4-5 miles per day when I got FMS from a bad fall. I stopped all exercise, not knowing what I had. Oh what a bad idea that was...I could hardly walk!

Since then, I have built up to walking 2-3 miles per day (I was up to 5 last summer, but have had tons of pain and have gone down a bit). I also belong to a gym and feel so NORMAL when I go there! I use the elliptical, treadmill or bike, and am starting again (for the ???th time) a light weight program. It is fun to be exercising with other people, and it takes my mind off of my pain.

I also give myself permission to go slow, especially on those marginal days (which have been nearly every day lately).

Just from reading my post, you may think that I don't have FMS too bad...well, I do, and I have lots of pain every day. I take methadone for the pain usually twice a day, but it would be more if I didn't exercise.

I know you probably wanted to smack your rheumy for mentioning exercise when his body works just fine, but try it...it is so good for us both mentally and physically. It helps a great deal with my depression.

I hope this helps...I really think that exercise can help us so much and doesn't get enough consideration.

Blessings to you...Ann

4. crumpton

crumpton New Member

I kept reading that exercise helped fibro, my doctor kept telling me to try and walk some. I kept thinking, well you don't have this and every time I try to walk, I hurt.

Then my doctor said this to me, which made me mad at the time but it started to make sense. With a burn patient you have to take their bandages off and then clean them which is very painful but you HAVE to do this to them in order for them to get well. He told me that my exercise is like the cleaning of a burn patient. It hurts but it has to be done.

Well I kept thinkiong about that advice and kept putting it off thinking what does he know. Well then I adopted a dog.
    An older dog that had been trained and I just fell in love with.

Where I live you have to walk your dog on a leash and pick up the "poop". I started walking my dog and taking care of my dog and it is such great therapy for me, plus it gets me walking.

Some days I am very slow and don't walk far but Harley my 5 year old Bassett/ Daschund/? seems to understand.

He has helped me with my depression and my selfcenteredness too. There were great articles in the FAME newsletter about animals and their help with Fibro. EVen one type of dog has a body temp that is very warm and a women has trained her hairless dogs to lay down on her wrists, her neck and other parts to help with the pain.

I am not sure if this the answer for you, but it has helped me just getting out of the house each day. I listen to the birds, enjoy the sunshine but I do live in Florida so that helps to walk. I am sorry if you have snow or cold weather so this might not be an answer.

I hope you feel better and can decide what is best for you. I think the hardest part of the disease is the trial and error and the keep on trying to find what works for us. I hope you are able to find something that works for YOU.

GEntle Hugs

5. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Although at first it sure doesn't seem even possible! I used to work out 3 days a week religously before I got sick, and then I was bedridden- what a change!! It was so hard at first to do anything at all I was SO weak and tired.

I started with 5 mins on my indoor exercise bike. Some days that was hard. I would try to increase to 6 mins the next day. But consistency is key, even if you can't do any more than 5 mins at first for a few months. Just do SOMETHING. Like they are saying, walk to the mailbox, then maybe walk to the corner. Don't just say "Hey, I'm going to start by walking 1/2 a mile very day".....you'll never make it, and probably feel worse.

Now I can easily ride 5 miles, although right now I am battling EBV, so I am not allowed to exercise at all, but I am looking forward to getting back after it! It was the one thing that made more overall improvement to my feeling of health and well-being, and energy than anything else.

Just stick with it, and don't push too hard too fast. I know 5 mins seems like a small amount of time, but it is good to start with, and even though I had been in excellent shape before I swear I couldn't make it more than that, so don't feel bad about it. Just do what you can, and build from that.

Yours in health,
    Bunny
  6. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I do treadmill, with lo weights and two to three reps about
    3x per week. Be very careful and no heavy lifting and watch your position. Do only what feels good. If you experience pain, STOP, it's not worth it.
    But my absolute favorite, that makes me feel the
    best about myself physically and mentally is water aerobics 2x per week. AFter class sometimes, I just float on my back a few minutes. I am weightless and free for just those few moments...no gravity to cause me pain.
  7. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi Rhond
    Iknow how you must feel about exersize. I am 76 yrs old and used to go to a spa 3 times a week. i was in good shape, then fm and cfids. I ended up in a class called twinges in the hinges. Made me feel much better. It was in the pool at the "Y". I did this several yrs. then had a stroke about 4 months ago so I'm haveing pt now. When that is over if I can walk again I'll go back to the "Y" as being inactive is your worst enemy. Stretching is easy and important. Try to move as much as possible. Good luck! LOL, Mary
  8. rhonda357

rhonda357 New Member

Maybe with your words of encouragement I can do this, thank you. I did pt and I have been worse ever since. I was going to pool and arms hurt so bad I wanted to die. I wasn't swimming, which I know how, but just getting in and walking and moving. It helps when ppl know what you are talking about and all the pain. You guys are great, don't know what I would do without you all.

Rhonda
  9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I have found that exercising (gently) has helped me a lot too. Like other people here have written: start SLOW and easy, and only increase if you are doing the starting amount EASILY. Make it a habit and your body will learn to adapt to the movement. Mine did.

I swim and tread water 3-4 times a week. I couldn't rave MORE about it, the movement has helped me so much!!

Try getting in a hot tub or steam room before and after ... it helps my muscles get ready for activity and also helps them relax afterwards- I have had far less pain with exertion when I use the heat before and after.

Hope you're doing better!