FM and Falling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandc, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tandc

tandc New Member

I am new here so bare with me. My doctor has diagnosed me as having FM. I have problems with falling. Don't fall all the time but when I do I really hurt myself. Have been to most of the doctors in this small town but none can figure out why I fall.
    Has anyone with FM experienced falls? If so has your doctor found out why you fall?
    Thanks for any/all input.
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Welcome to the board.

I fall down. I just sort of tip over! Broke my ankle doing that a few years ago.

I've fallen straight forward and caught myself with my hands, but since my arms are weak my head ricocheted off the concrete and I had a lovely big goose egg that turned some glorious shades of purple, green and yellow before it went away!

I find that walking with a cane seems to help. Gives me one more point of contact with the ground without putting my whole body down there!

Doc doesn't know why I fall either. I'm not dizzy and my equlibriam (sp?) is good so there just doesn't seem to be a reason.

My theory is that something suddenly goes weak and causes me to lose my balance. Leg muscle, knee, even a hip or back change can do it.

I don't know if this helps much, but at least you now know you aren't the only one who tips over! Try to stay "on your wheels" as my DH says!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

tandc:

I have a neorologist (please bear with me, I have fibroFog today.

He takes care of that part of fibromyalogy. it really
    helps.

Welcome to the message board.

nyrofan

4. tracii

tracii New Member

Oh yeah! I guess falling was one of the first major symptoms I really paid attention to (how could I not!).

I've since had to adjust the way I walk, etc. but I still do fall.

Good luck with everything!
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey Nyro!

What does your neuro do for you about falling? Mine hasn't had an answer for me on that part of my fun and exciting symptoms!

Thanks,
    Greenbean
  6. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hi there

i have always fallen or as my mum used to say 'been clumsy'
    i have fallen in the bathroom some years ago and knocked my teeth out lol i have fallen out in the street and broken my ankle,foot and arm in 3 separate falls, i walk into things on bad days i.e doorframes, which is a constant source of amusement to my family who once they got over the shock of seeing me doing it a few times tend to laugh with me now never at me,so you see my friend you are not on your own which i think always helps. As for the reason behind these 'falls' my doctor has no concrete evidence to their cause, i personally agree with the person who posted before who said they thought it was due to weakness in the lower limbs and i also think fatigue and lack of concentration play their part because put them all together and it must be a recipe for ending up face down. I also use a stick though and find that my falls have been reduced for having that extra bit of support.
    hope this helps in some small way,
    take care and keep smiling......

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  7. i fall,and suffer from fibromyalgia and ME/chronic fatigue syndrome.

ive never been offered a brain scan,and as i sit here typing,im thinking of printing out a piece ive wrote on fibro fog.i explained to someone here,how its affecting me.although ive never told my doctor,as i cant afford time off work if something should be found to be wrong,and id need to be hospitalised.

in my heart i know i need a brain scan,to put my mind at ease.this foggy brain gets scary as i get older.
    i have a new doctor who listens to me,no other doctor has ever fully listened to me since i was told i have fibro/ME 12 years ago.

you see i lost my trust in doctors,and went into myself.but with this doctor,i feel im now ready to trust him,so i shall print out the article i wrote on fibro fog,and show it to him.

ill tell him about how im working part time,and want to work for years to come,but please let me have a brain scan,to see if theres a course for the brain fog,that could be fixed.

the easiest way for me to discribe why i fall is.

when im walking down stairs,you know how we put left foot,then right foot to walk?well its like my brain has memory lapses in as it forgets which foot to move next.so i always look at my feet when walking on the stairs,and i make a conscious effort to make sure that the left follows the right foot.

when this what i call a blackout (forgetting) occurs.i stop dead in my tracks.make my body stand very still,and then when i feel consciously able to,,ill continue to watch and move whichever foot needs to move next.

kind regards
    fran
  8. jole

jole Member

Yes, I fall too. I mostly walk holding onto walls, furniture, etc. I am very off-balance at times, walk into doors, walls, etc. I fall in the shower, middle of the room, anywhere actually. I have thought of using a cane, but I am so weak in my left side that I don't know if I could.

I blame my falling onto balance problems due to the weakness in my left leg. The muscles in that leg tend to knot up a lot, and just makes it weaker than my right.

It was a constant struggle for me before I quit working. My doc said my explaination is as good as hers!
  9. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Yes, I have fallen many times since I became ill.

I fell out of bed at least 6 times since I got sick. I can't explain that at all. I was sound asleep each time, and wake up in mid-air. I have been seriously hurt at least twice from that.

I fell UP the stairs to my apartment. I landed with my shoulder wedged in a corner against the woodwork and my head hit the apartment door. That was bad. I laid there for a long time before I tried to get up. I was alone, and my cell phone was in the apartment. I will NEVER leave the apartment without a phone again. I had just gone down to the lobby to get my mail.

I attribute the falling to the fact that my body still thinks it's the same as it was before I got sick, and of course the brain-fog.

I'm trying to pay more attention to each movement, but it's hard after 30 years of normal body functions.
  10. momof471

momof471 New Member

I've always fallen and tripped and banged into things ever since I can remember. I can have bruised appear on my body and not remember what happened in order to get them. Probably any of the above things. When I was little my dad used to ask me where I got this or that bruise and I had no clue He would get a little irritated thinking I just wasn't telling him. Fast forward, since fibromyalgia, I can just be standing and my ankle twists underneath me. I continue to fall frequently, especially off of curbs, I don't understand that one, I don't know if something is wrong with my perception or what. Not to long in one day, I fell off of two curbs and from the knee down I looked like I had been dipped in deep purple paint, my wrists as well from catching myself. Not only does it hurt what I land on, but I feel it in my back and it seems like it throws my whole body out of wack. I often find myself laughing and crying at the same time, laughing because I'm so klutzy, crying because it hurts so much when that happens. I feel for other's going through this, but its nice to know, i'm not the only one with this issue. I haven't brought it up to my dr. yet. It seems like I always have a list of things to talk about.