FM and green drinks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mbofov, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi all - first, I don't have FM but just wanted to pass on some info I came across recently. This is 3rd hand, but anyways - a friend of my sister's had severe FM, very bad pain, trouble walking or doing anything. She saw a rheumatologist in Toluca Lake named Gisele Wudka, who told her she needed to go on a greens drink diet for 6 months and eat nothing else - I think that's the story, and again, this is 3rd hand. Maybe she ate other foods, I just don't know. Anyways, from what I understand, the woman did eat nothing but green drinks for some 6 months and her FM was cured. She's great now.

Dr. Wudka unfortunately, from what I understand, is only practicing now at the Toluca Lake Health Center, funded by the Motion Picture & Television Fund and I believe she does not see any other patients. But you could look her up and see for yourself.

But I found the idea that green drinks could cure FM intriguing, so I did a google search for "fibromyalgia green drinks" and the first hit is a site that talks about a woman getting 90% cured at age 72 by drinking a lot of green drinks and completely changing her diet and going vegan. She got off all her meds, started sleeping, stopped crying all the time, etc. You can read about it.

So just wanted to pass this on in case it could help someone here.

Mary
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which "green drinks" are we talking about? Are these green veggies which are juiced or the green health drinks? I drink one of those sold here but not exclusively. Now that the injections have done away with my FMS symptoms, I guess I'll never know whether it would work. Thanks for the info.

Love, Mikie
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

I don't know what type of green drink my sister's friend drank, the one who saw Dr. Wudka - I didn't talk to her directly.

But if you do the google search I posted, the story of the 72-year-old woman who overcame FM, you can read what she did. She started with making her own, using apple juice, salad greens, carrots, celery and cucumber, drinking it 4 times a day, and noticed a difference in pain levels very quickly. She did change her diet to go almost completely vegan.

It looks like a nonprofit website to me, just someone's blog. Anyways, looks very interesting. I think the vegetable or green drinks would be good for anyone, whether made fresh or with the powdered stuff.

I've made them a couple of times, not bad, but sometimes it's too much work for me (washing and cutting up all the vegies) so have realized I should buy a powdered one to keep on hand to use by itself or to add to fresh vegies.

Mary
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to make basically the same drink in my juicer which I just donated. I've heard that juicing raises insulin and it takes a whole produce section to get one glass of juice. Still, if it is that good, it's probably worth it.

Love, Mikie
  5. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi Mikie - I don't think blending primarily vegies in a blender (as opposed to juicing) will raise insulin levels, and it doesn't take a whole produce section to do this.

I know the woman in the website I referred to used a vita-mix, which is not a juicer but a very powerful blender. I have a "classic" oster blender which does an amazing job of blending things, including beets, carrots, and greens. So I don't do juicing, I was using the term loosely (too loosely I guess! :)

I think the term "green drinks" generally doesn't refer to juicing, but to blending lots of primarily green vegies, with maybe a little fruit or fruit juice.

So I don't think green drinks per se will negatively affect insulin levels.

I don't know what the woman who was treated by Dr. Wudka did, apart from eating I think nothing by "green drinks". I don't think it was juicing but I don't know for sure.

Happy new year! I hope it's a better one for all of us -

Mary