FM and IBS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynncats, May 13, 2010.

1. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Hello all. I was just dx'd with IBS yesterday. My GI dr. said alot of people with FM have IBS. What I failed to ask him is "why is it that people with FM tend to have IBS", so I'm asking ya'll. The real "pros". Thanks for any answers, and have a great day.

2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Good to see you here today. Popped on here and happy your here. Hope all is well with you.

I'm not no Pro but i have been told by docs that numerous conditions go hand in hand with
    having Fibromyalgia. Such as IBS, carpal tunnel and other conditions, darn can't think of more but may give you an idea of the hand in hand stuff with Fibro. Maybe some docs really don't know why, good question though. Now IBS for you too, gosh seems we always have something more to add to our diagnosis list.

Hugs to you Lynn,
  3. loto

loto Member

Hi Lynncats, I also have FM and IBS. Sucks, doesn't it? LOL

My opinion is that FM affects the central nervous system, and since the central nervous system controls everything, that's why we develop all of these different conditions when we have FM!
    That's the only thing that makes sense to me ---- in "average" people talk, anyway.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

IBS is a fairly common disorder. Population-based studies suggest that up to 20% of people in the USA suffer from IBS. For gastroenterologists, up to HALF of their patients have IBS.

So, that's part of it -- IBS is very common anyway. But even so, it does occur more in FM than in the general population.

The gut influences, and is influenced by, the immune system, the nervous system, the endocrine system. As research continues to accumulate for FM -- glitches here & there in those three foundational systems, it's easy to see why the gut is often affected in FM.

Generalized pain hypersensitivity is sometimes part of the picture of both IBS & FM. There can be neurological, endocrine, and immunolgical influences on pain perception.

But all of this is somewhat academic. What's more important is chipping away & making progress in reducing your symptoms. Has your doc made recommendations (Rx or dietary) for you to try? It may take some trial & error. If your gastro is one of those who simply writes off your IBS as something to live with, a part of fibro, look for a new doc.

As a former IBS sufferer (severe form, 50 yrs duration, 3 hospitalizations for it), I encourage you to work towards improving or eliminating your IBS.

I have a wonderful gastro doc, but he did not have the answer to my IBS. My trigger is gluten, and I have been blessedly symptom-free for over 6 yrs. on a gluten-free diet. Dietary issues are not the cause of all IBS, IMO, however I have met other people with similar stories -- severe IBS due to dairy/soy/corn or whatever food intolerance.

Other people have a form of IBS that is responsive to the "gut SSRI" type meds. Yes, serotonin is a big player in gut function.

This board recently had a thread on an the effectiveness of antibiotic (Rifaximin) for IBS-D, which a recent study shows has a good effect in a modest number of patients. One respondent felt that her IBS was due to bacterial contamination in meat & poultry products.

Some people with mild IBS respond to pre & probiotics (dietary or supplement).

Best wishes.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It results from chronic infection. Treat the infection properly and the IBS will resolve.
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Research studies show a slight efficacy of one antibiotic for IBS only in the IBS-D (diarrheal) form. There are two other major subtypes of IBS for which the gut antibiotic Rifaximin is typically NOT prescribed.

Best wishes.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Have you ever been checked for Celiac Disease or Gluten Intollerance? Dr. Oz did a show several months ago about Celiac Disease and he was saying that often doctors don't think to check for Celiac and will mistakenly diagnose IBS.
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Infections that are systemic, such as Borrelia burgdorferi, eventually can cause symptoms like IBS to develop. Many patients treated with long term antibiotics for chronic infections like Lyme have had their IBS resolve.
  9. lynncats

lynncats New Member

for the info. My DH just left to take my prescription in for my IBS, can't remember the name of it, (imagine that LOL). Dio......something. Anyway, I sure hope it helps with my stomach. Again, thank you all for your info, and everyone have a great day!!!!

10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

IBS is NOT always caused by an infection. As a matter of fact, in my personal experience, I've never heard it to be that, if it's true IBS. As mentioned by others, some can be misdiagnosed and actually have other conditions such as Celiac etc. - however Celiac should be easy to rule out. Many can have food sensitivities, intolerances, allergies etc that should also be ruled out

I was diagnosed 25 yrs ago - at that time it was called Spastic Colon. Luckily no one ever suggested it wasn't a real disorder, nor have they since. I've also been very fortunate that in my personal life no one has ever even hinted that Fibro is not a real condition either.

One of the key things I've been told by more than one Dr. is that w/IBS you should not lose weight - if you have diarrhea, unless you always have to go immediately after a meal. It is not the same as having regular diarrhea, meaning it's more how your body "spasms" or works down there to eliminate waste. That's why many people can go from having constipation to diarrhea intermittently.

I'm one that has never been able to find a trigger or any food that correlated to my IBS.
    I had the constipation for several years - horribly. Then about 11 yrs ago I developed the 'lovely" diarrhea. Equally painful, but add the embarrassment, the inability or fear to leave the house. Since I started taking pain medication, I've been "normal" ever since.