FM and jury duty...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Apr 15, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi all, haven't been on here in a few days because of running to jury duty and catching up on my real work.
    Well, I'm on call for jury duty for 2 weeks. Had to go in for the first time in my life Monday morning. I was picked to be on the "selection panel".
    So, we're going through all the questioning and such, and I was totally honest with the public defender, telling him that I have Fibromyalgia, and I tend to have "fibro fog" and lose my train of thought and memory at times.
    He asked me if this is something that happens every day and I tell him, no, but I never know when it will happen!
    He was so genuinely grateful that I reported that to the court and sincerely thanked me!

So, I wasn't surprised when I wasn't chosen to be a juror on that particular case. And, it didn't bother me in the least! It was a case that I would not be able to remain impartial on, I'm afraid.

And, I had to go back in Wednesday, and didn't even get picked for possible selection, which was so much sitting around all morning, wasn't good on my body at all. Got lots of math homework done, though. But, I wonder if they have a little checklist and crossed me off the list of possible good jurors after I told them I have Fibromyalgia! Again, it doesn't bother me, I honestly don't think I would be a good juror.

Just wanted to share my adventure. I don't have to call in again until Friday evening. Hope I won't have to go back next week!

2. loto

loto Member

before i went for duty I was kind of excited about it, thinking I'd like it and find it all interesting. I still think it would be interesting, just worried that i wouldn't be able to make the right decision!
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have to report for JD next Monday. I have always been excused in the past due to having to be home for my special needs children, but this time they denied my excuse. No idea why.

I'm wondering how I'll be able to sit and actually pay attention for very long! We do have a "one day or one trial" system here, so we'll see.

I've always thought it would be interesting to sit thru a trial, but have never had the opportunity to serve on a jury. My sister was on a month long armed robbery trial and it really stressed her out...I don't need anymore stress, that's for sure.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I got picked once, sat there for about 3 hrs and then they settled the case. I was kind of bummed out.

Then about 4 years ago I got picked again (going through the individual questioning was nervewracking) and got to sit through it. It was just about a 5 hr trial (all day event) but it was pretty interesting. The best part was the judge came in after we gave our verdict. We went back to the deliberation room, he came in and talked to us for a while, gave us a tour of the whole courthouse etc. The worst part was deliberating with people who really didn't see things that were obvious. Even the judge said this guy was obviously guilty and knew it (the defendant). He represented himself and the evidence was overwhelming - like I couldn't figure out why he went to trial.

I would actually love to serve again. I think it's a pretty neat way to 'do my civil duty'. I'm not sure how long I could actually sit through it. It would probably be very tough physically.