FM and Motivation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CatofDoom, Apr 11, 2006.

1. CatofDoom

CatofDoom New Member

hi everyone! i've been dx'ed for about3 or 4 months, though i've been dealing with FM for at least 4 years. i'm having some serious trouble with motivation. it's so difficult for me to get out of bed in the morning, let alone go to my classes. for refrence, i'm 20 and in college. i feel listless and apathetic in addition to my pain. so i ask you this:

how do you all stay motivated to live your lives?

everything feels so hard right now, even showering feels like too much work. i deal with depression in addition to FM and even though i'm medicated, i feel absolutely awful.

i know there are people out there who are living full lives with FM, and i want to be one of them. but right now it just doesn't seem possible. any input would be appreciated^.^
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Symptomatic treatment of my unrelenting fatigue helped me unbelievably.

I am on Adderall, 10 mg first thing in the am, 10 mg at lunchtime if I need it and 5 mg at about 3 pm if I need it.

My last flare I was using it three times a day, but since then , generally I only need the morning dose.

I was desperate and it has given me the ability to function again. I work full-time and I honestly don't know where I would be if that didn't work.

I have another friend who is on Ritalin and that works for her in a similar fashion.

Speak to your doctor - my psychiatrist manages the "head" meds. so she takes care of the Adderall and managing my bipolar meds.

So far so good.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I know what you mean about not having motivation! Before my son was born I had the hardest time forcing myself to even take a shower.

If I had any energy at all it would all be wasted on a stupid shower. Well believe that is not a good attitude to have, your significant other may start complaining! LOL

Now that my son is here and believe me I know this sounds so cliche but I am literally forced to function even on the days I don't think I can or have the motivation.

Like right now my husband is out of town and I am so exhausted. All I want to do is go to bed and sleep and get rid of this headache. I can't even make myself go get something to eat but I am functioning enough to take care of my son. Don't know how but I am doing it!

Good luck! I know I probably didn't help you at all but maybe just knowing you aren't alone will help.

(((HUGS)))

kate
  4. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Sounds to me as if your recent diagnosis of depression is the overwhelming factor here. FM in itself can cause pain and fatigue, but depression and the drugs that are used to treat it are even more insidious.

When I was first in your situation I didn't want to do anything, go anywhere and getting out of bed in the morning was the worst decision I had to make each each day. Admittedly after a couple of months on ADs I did start to pick up and feel generally brighter and more optimistic, got a little more energy back and started getting on with my life again.

Even now after 10 years being AD-free I get occasional bouts of mild depression and these can be physically and mentally draining. I am wondering what brand of ADs your doctor has prescribed - some of them can make you feel physically zapped. Might be worth asking about SSRIs instead of tri-cyclics (if that's what you have been prescribed). SSRIs are generally less physically invasive and enable you to recuperate mentally much quicker. After all one of the best therapies for depression is mental (and physical) activity.

As for motivation - just take it one step at a time, each day as it comes. You will have good and bad spells but just accept them for what they are and tell yourself that they are just minor setbacks. Things will improve - they always do - and enjoy the good days when you have them.

Hope this helps.