FM and Neck Pain relationship?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vivian53, May 16, 2009.

1. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I saw a new MD this week. I have had neck pain for the last two years and he told me this was common in most FM patients of his. I had not heard this. Anyone else have this problem? What has helped you feel better?

He recommended a cervical collar and and over the door cervical traction device. I am going to get both I guess. Hope I don't accidentally hang myself.

Any input will be appreciated

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2009]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

your doc is right. try search here

my chiro NUCCA(upper cerival) only thing that helps. are you on muscle relaxers? heat pack also helps.

not sure about collar(never worked for me)and over the door may help as its like(sorta)chiro. just be careful it doesnt cause flare.
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have had a lot of neck pain since being diagnosed with fibro.

I saw a chiro for a while and he had me use the neck over the door device .
    I didn't get any relief, but everyone is different in what works for them.

Gentle stretching in the neck and shoulder area and pain pills are what helps me.

Hope you feel better. Susan
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Neck pain is very common when a fibromyalgia syndrome is caused by a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Your MD may have a lot of people w/neck pain but I think it's because it's just part of the body. Many people carry most of their pain in their upper body, neck, shoulders, upper back...
    many of us carry it in our legs, hips, lower back.

So I think it's probably just luck of the draw of how many patients your doc has with neck pain.

Muscle relaxers may help to relax that area. With neck pain we generally tense up that whole area.
    I do hope you find something that relieves your pain. Is your Doc sure nothing else is going on? any stenosis etc?
  6. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Thanks for the input. Too bad about the over the door device. Some chiropractors have advertised here recently about a spinal decompression device they claim that works. It's an in office treatment. Like spinal traction, or the rack, basically. I may try that.

The doc basically said since I was in so much pain, and my shoulder/back stay so swollen, that if all this stuff doesn't work I need to go see a Neurosurgeon. I said no.

Yeah I have a pinched nerve, bone spurs and a narrowing in my neck. Stenosis I guess? And, again like you jam, OA. I had a CT scan last month. It hurts down my arm, almost under it and has caused my last two finger to go completely numb.

I would like to take muscle relaxers but am already taking Lyrica, supplemented with Norco prn. I don't want to feel any more doped up. I have found that the Lyrica amplifies other meds like that.

I get really irritable on Flexaril, and everyone around me would like to avoid that I'm sure.

He also talked about getting another epidural injection, and I'm willing to do that even though the first didn't help. Anyone have any luck with that?

I guess it's basically wear and tear exacerbated by FM. Or vice versa.