FM and Rewiring Of Brain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ChuckNBerkeley, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Baffling Chronic Pain Linked To Weird Rewiring Of Brain

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081126133353.htm

"Apkarian said the white matter changes in patients' brains is related to the duration and intensity of their pain and their anxiety. It is likely that white matter reorganizes in other chronic pain conditions as well, but that has not yet been studied, he noted."
  2. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i'll definately be keeping my ears open for more about this.

how exciting it will be to finally have some validity of my illness!

i hope it's soon.
  3. efly

efly New Member

Interestingly that is exactly what Ashok Gupta is talking about what is happening to our bodies in his programme .?efly
  4. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

The article is about:

"The people whose brains were examined have a chronic pain condition called complex region pain syndrome (CRPS.) It's a pernicious and nasty condition that usually begins with an injury causing significant damage to the hand or the foot. For the majority of people, the pain from the injury disappears once the limb is healed. But for 5 percent of the patients, the pain rages on long past the healing, sometimes for the rest of people's lives. About 200,00 people in the U.S. have this condition."

The quote I posted was the SUGGESTION that "It is likely that white matter reorganizes in other chronic pain conditions as well, but that has not yet been studied, he noted."

As FM is an "other chronic pain condition" I thought it might be of interest to those of you who have FM. I only have CFS.

I visit the ScienceDaily site Daily.