FM and sinusitis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cynny3, Feb 12, 2006.

1. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi, I have fibromyalgia which seemed to start about 3 to 5 years ago coinciding with my two pregnancies within that time frame. In addition, I developed chronic sinusitis around the same time. Does anyone know if there is any connection between fibromyalgia and chronic sinusitis? I get sinus infections every two to three months now and when I get them, I also get tremendous fatigue. Antibiotics at first didn't do anything to help and I had to have sinus surgery in 2004. The surgery only helped temporarily for about 5 months and the infections are now back every two to three months. I'm trying so hard to understand where these sinus infections are coming from and if there is any link to fibromyalgia. Thanks.

2. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Yes, many FMers suffer with chronic Sinusitis. I was diagnosed by an Allergy Dr. years ago as having "Non-Allergic Chronic Rhinitis"!!! In laymen's terms...chronic post nasal drip/ nose inflammation not due to allergies! Thankfully, it doesn't affect me year round...My post nasal drip is always worse in the fall & now.(winter)

Recently, I started going to a new Fibro Dr. & his theory is that the Sinusitis & nose symptoms are due to Yeast overgrowth. He recommends some of these treatments (depending on an individual's symptoms): Acidophillus, Sarsaparilla, Oregano Oil, Olive Leaf, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Paun d' arco, Nystatin Rx, Diflucan Rx, Sporonox Rx, & Nizoral Nasal Spray Rx. Obviously, you wouldn't be told to do All of them!

I'm sure that the sinuses can be infected with both a longterm bacteria and/ or the yeast/ fungus. If both infections are present; then you would need longterm Antibiotic AND Yeast treatments.

Hopefully you can find a good Dr. to help you sort out what is best for you. I wish you well.

Hugs,
    Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
  3. damz68

damz68 New Member

yeast is a cause of sinusitus. Sinustus is common with CFIDS, FM and lyme. I think garlic will also kill yeast.

cynny3 are you dizzyand spaced? I am wondering if it is my sinusitus that is causing this in me.
  4. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi, thanks for replying. When I have the infections, I'm just overwhelmed by fatigue. The simplest of tasks is like lifting a 1,000 lb. weight. I'm not dizzy, but I suppose spacey because I just can't think past the fluid in my head. I've been on so many antibiotics for these infections, it makes me worry a lot about what the antibiotics are doing to me long term.

Cynny3
  5. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

I just ordered a few of the supplements you listed, so it's good to hear I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks for replying!

Cynny3
  6. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I actually did a post regarding my recent MRI scan, I have terrible sinus problems and my MRI showed I had a cyst, polyp and mastoiditis.

I also had surgery last year (for sleep apnea), the pain I complain of most is in the base of my skull.

For me the fatigue has been the worst symptom of everything.

It can be really frustrating trying to figure out what is going on. I have to see my ENT regarding the mastoiditis. I also wonder if this is all connected.

Take care, Ritatheresa
  7. ephemera

ephemera New Member

yes, i've got both.

Had surgery for serious polyps 10 years ago.
    Took shots regularly for 11 years, then stopped 2 years ago.

My sinus infections are due to allergies. Every few days I lean over & let lots of stuff drip out my right nostril. It's usually there about 1/3 the time & my allergist suggested this easy method so I keep making sure nothing builds up.

I saw something on the web within the past 3-4 months on research for a connection between FM & chronic sinus problems. I'm sure it's posted somewhere...

[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2006]
  8. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Thanks for the info and for the welcome to the boards. I just found this message board and have been on it all day. My body is in so much pain from sitting still in front of the computer, but this board has been worth it. I'm wondering if anyone who is in remission used to suffer from sinusitis and then once in remission, the sinusitis went away also? My hope is that they are connected and the more I work on pushing the fibro into remission, the better my chronic sinusitis gets!

Thanks again, Cynthia
  9. KerryK

KerryK Member

Have a look at www.sinuseducation.org . Evidently most cases of chronic rhinosinusitis are actually an abnormal, allergic type of reaction to fungus commonly in air and nasal passages. There is a new remedy on the way soon. This could be an answer to many of these non-specific nasal problems.
  10. jarjar

jarjar New Member

You might want to try taking the Igenex Western Blot test for lyme. My LLMD says fibro and CFS are the most misdiagnosed cases of Lyme. Sinus problems and allergies are symptoms that surfaces with lyme. I wish someone had told me this years ago.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  11. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi, thanks for bringing up lyme. I was already checked and it was negative. I'll bring it up with my doctor again just in case. But I did test positive for Epstein Barr. Could that be similar to lyme and causing the sinus infections?

I really appreciate all the postings because not only is the information great, but it makes me feel much more supported and not alone. I don't know anyone else who gets sinus infection like I do and it's really frustrating every time I get another one. The amount of antibiotics I'm on really worries me for the future and meanwhile, I have two young sons to take care of everyday!

Thanks again, Cynny3
  12. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I have severe chronic sinusitis after delivering triplets.
    I have found nasal irrigation to be the most helpful. I use
    a waterpik with a nasal tip attached and run saline through
    my nostrals. I wish there was a cure. Hopefully there will be
    soon but the saline rinses have helped me the most. There is
    also a neti pot to clean the nose also. There is an herb
    called olive leaf extract that helps but I find the only
    brand that works for me is by seagate-it can be ordered online.

Dreamharp
  13. damz68

damz68 New Member

It seems that every one who has late stage lyme test positive for EBV, CMV and HHV6, real common.
  14. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

wow, you gave birth to triplets and lived to tell the tale! My doctor wanted me to get the water pik nasal irrigation awhile ago, but I've been stubborn. I used the bottle sinal wash, but my doctor said the water pik is better and now you've confirmed it. Ok, I guess I'll have to get one afterall. The cost of everything is insane!

Thanks again for the info!!

Cynny3