FM and traveling??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tonijo, Sep 10, 2002.

1. tonijo

tonijo New Member

We are planning a trip at the end of this month. If I am haveing trouble with sitting now how hard is this going to be? Well I really have trouble sitting and then I need to stand for awhile and then sit again. I figure this 6hr. trip should take me over night to get there. Any suggestions?
  2. tonijo

tonijo New Member

We are planning a trip at the end of this month. If I am haveing trouble with sitting now how hard is this going to be? Well I really have trouble sitting and then I need to stand for awhile and then sit again. I figure this 6hr. trip should take me over night to get there. Any suggestions?
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

First and foremost, don't push your personal limits!!! See one or two things a day, let your travel companions see the rest. It's better, IMHO, to see thoroughly and be able to enjoy less, than ENDURE getting through seeing more. Hope that makes sense. Be sure to remember to take with you all your supplements and meds. When we travelled this summer, I forgot my fibro-multiple vitamin, couldn't replace it on the road, and really felt the difference it makes when I don't have it. And take your favorite pillow and maybe a teddy bear to hold onto. Seriously! For your comfort, something comfy from home can make a difference. I sleep with a wonderful teddy bear, because hugging her while I sleep on my side keeps my shoulders aligned. And finally, drink LOTS of water.

Enjoy your vacation!

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. meandyou

meandyou New Member

Hi,
    I have problems sitting and standing for long periods and getting up and walking around when that happens is what I do. I also put the ice pack on my lower back . I rest when I get tired and than go out and do the rest of whatever I wanted to do. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself whatever you do. Take care.

malomarqueen,
    theresa
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. I recently returned from a 12 day vacation which involved 2 airplanes & 2 boats & 2 buses. At night the airplane was only somewhat crowded so I could sit by myself & not be cramped. I recommend getting a small airplane pillow as soon as you get on in addition to whatever pillow you sleep with. It helped elevate my leg.

I couldn't get a seat in front of the engines to cut down on vibrations, and that was somewhat of a problem. I took along water, pain patches & extra medications along w/ my Dramaine, Sea-bands wrist bands & earplugs. I also kept my sunglasses on to minimize my light sensitivity.

The smaller of the 2 boats & largest of the 2 buses were both problems in terms of vibrations which made me sick for several hours. Make sure you know where the closest bathroom is when you get on the vehicle.

I also dressed in layers to adjust for temperature changes & tried to pack my carry-on very light so as not to cause pain from lifting heavy suitcases.

At the 2 hotels & 2 B&Bs I requested extra pillows & late breakfasts to help my inability to get to sleep before
    4-6AM. This helped, too.

I tried not to think about how things would go wrong; instead I anticipated & planned for any easy corrections. Hope things go well for you. Best thoughts.
  6. majic

majic New Member

i go a lot of places. in car always wear comfort clothes and shoes. the pillow is the trick for your neck shoulder back and legs. i drive some and give my partner a break. we stop a lot. i walk around at every stop and do stretching exercise. i take along a six pack cooler with fruit and lots of water. the newest thing i have started to take with me is my heating pad. if i need it at home i'm going to need it away from home. i try to avoid heavy meals while i'm on the road. i also take happy music with me. partner and i travell well together. if we take a wrong turn we just say oh well if we hadn't taken the turn we would have not seen this. make it lite and happy. less stress this way. i always leave earlier than what i should where i want be rushed. you can travell and have a great time. hope this can help.
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

Nothing soothes me more than a road trip-Ilove to get out of town and get away. I have the same problem with sitting.

1. I have a heating pad and massager seat that plugs into my lighter outlet.

2. Get out and stretch as often as possible, it may take a litlle longer to get there but you will pay the consequenses much less.

3. There are stretches you can do in you seat.

a) cross your legs and push your knee towards the direction you are crossing, this stretches your glutes and your lower back.

b) stretch you neck by hoding it as far as you can go comfortably to one side for 30 seconds then to the other side, then to the front. this relieves neck tension

c) push your shoulder blades back and hold them there for 30 seconds do htis about once an hour or so.

d) take your rightr arm and hold the elbow and opush your arm across your chest until you feel the stretch again hold for 30 secs. and realease and do other side.

e) roll your ankles around clockwise and then counter clockwise, point you toe and flex your foot hoding each position for 30 secs

it is important that you do not push the stretches until they hurt, just where you start to feel the stretch.

4. when you get there plan to rest laying flat and doing maybe some more stretches for at least an hour on heating pad or ice which ever part of your body hurts. A warm swim in a pool if it is there or a jacussi never hurts either.

I hope this helps. I recently had to go to Orlando for a conference for ultrasound and spent numerous hours in airport on planes and then 9 hours of class for 3 days straight from 7 am until 5 pm-I would do the foot things and what everelse I could do while in class-people looked at me strange-but I did not care, have to take care of myself.

also putting a pillow on the seat under you will softern the seat so you are not pushing on pressure points.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy yor vacation-even us fibromites can enjoy traveling just listen to your body. I have a huge conversion van so I am lucky-really comfortable vehicle to travel in.

take care

cathy aka griswoldgirl
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2002]